Rover gR8 220SLi - CONGRATS CATSINTHEWELDER - donation now made

Cheezey

Er, the R8 Facebook page appears to have imploded, one of the admins called a prolific poster a twat for wanting to buy a car for the wheels alone, he talked back to the admin and got banned. A couple of people jumped ship or got banned for questioning the admins and the page has devolved into all the users spamming as they don't agree with the admins.

update: there are 4 different pages now, the original group and sales pages, and two splinter groups.

New screen and fitting on mine cost £170 BUT that's about the most expensive way you can do it because I'm an idiot.  If you've got time you can get a screen much cheaper and if you've a tame fitter, they can likely do it for much less, probably about half what I paid in fact, which isn't really that terrible.  They're bonded and laminated so they do tend to break when you remove them, just so you're forewarned there.

I think he might have cleared the field of R8's now.

Fingers crossed for a multi-shitter collection caper over the next few days.

I don't think Joe has anything left. If there is anything up there it's been in that field for 2+ years now, and will only be a bare shell with a few panels of limited use.

It does go well. Very nippy.

That said the last time I drove a 220(a three door NASP GSi) I had a 214SEi at the time and felt disappointed with the 220. I remember thinking it was a bit quicker than the multipoint 214 but not much and not enough to justify buying it. This was about fourteen or fifteen years ago when I was about twenty.

I decided I wanted to move the car on and that it would be nice to pass any profit I made onto charity.

The charity I've chosen have treated my mother in law, a close colleague who passed away and are currently treating one of the best men from my wedding.

I suspect one of the reasons the raffle sold out so quickly was because it was for charity. I've had some nice comments and messages on here regarding the money going to charity.

I really like the car and hope it survives.

I don't want to argue with someone I don't know on the internet but I hope you understand my feelings on this.

Money to charity's a good thing.

I once rode in a mate's mum's 214GSi to Berlin, and it was a fancy car then, and no slouch. If I had space to keep one, I'd have had a go at this, partly because of the charity element.

A few hundred quid wouldn't change my life one iota, but it might change someone else's.

Hold on, I wasn't having a pop. No need to get defensive.

Apologies if I came across wrong in any way.

I was just making a suggestion that might not have been considered at the time that could be considered in the future as this car roffles so much.

You didn't want to be seen making a profit and it just occured to me reading the thread this could be a good way to help people out with the car.

I thought I was being helpful not argumentative. I did think your response was a bit odd at the time but I think you thought I was having a go at you for making a payment to charity, which i am definitely not.

I wasn't saying you couldn't do what you wanted with your money either. Its your money.

Again, sorry if I said anything that didn't come across right.

I'm glad the money raised went to charity,  it sounds like a cracking cause and full marks to John for doing it when he could easily have just pocketed £100.

However I do think Hillman Imp has a point, while I'm happy to pay for the work to be done this time there is bound to be a time when it will need a clutch or a tricky bit of welding.  Rather than Roffling a broken car at £2 a ticket remind me to get a quote for the work to be done and then Roffle at a price to cover it.  This could be a way to ensure the cars we love survive.

I Thortz the money to charity was a good thing, done some stuff to support charity in my time and have much respect for anyone who undertakes such activity.

I like the Autoshite bike concept. Perhaps if come MOT time the current custodian don't want to invest the cash, the Roffle proceeds coould be used to fix the bike with said then being passed to a lucky winner after fixing.

I'm glad the money raised went to charity,  it sounds like a cracking cause and full marks to John for doing it when he could easily have just pocketed £100.

However I do think Hillman Imp has a point, while I'm happy to pay for the work to be done this time there is bound to be a time when it will need a clutch or a tricky bit of welding.  Rather than Roffling a broken car at £2 a ticket remind me to get a quote for the work to be done and then Roffle at a price to cover it.  This could be a way to ensure the cars we love survive.

Good plan, and that was the intention I took from Hillman Imp's post, so no criticism intended.  8)

The Rover R8 Facebook page seems to have returned to normality, would ask on there for availability of a screen. Someone will probably russle one up.

Not sure if it's something Rimmers would carry, but they have a policy of discounting stuff if it helps keep a car viable and on the road.