Rover gR8 220SLi - CONGRATS CATSINTHEWELDER - donation now made

Cheezey

Hello chaps, the mission was successful the Rover has landed :D

Many many thanks to Lacquer Peel and Hairnet who brought the car down for me.  I met Hairnet on the edge of Ludlow, dropped the doom blue Fiesta back then got to drive it for the first time.  It's great if rather loud and I can see it fitting in well here once I've addressed a few issues.  As it's the weekend we have no trains so I took Hairnet back up to Shrewsbury for his well deserved train home then came home myself to feed the kids before bed.

I really need to do something about the exhaust as while it's quite amusing at first 7am starts are really going to piss the neighbours off in fairly short order and it gets quite tiring on a run.  I only did about 70 miles so H and LP must be knackered.

I'm tempted to try and wriggle an MOT with a large sunstrip and some very short wipers as the screen surround is going to need work before new glass goes in.  It would possibly be best to find a donor car and cut the screen surround out complete with screen then weld the complete thing into place.  Yes it would be an awful lot of work but probably not that expensive if I can do it myself.  Please keep an eye out for potential donor cars folks, i've got a battery grinder and I'm not afraid to use it.

Pics tomorrow as my camera is hopeless in the dark.

I could get the screen replaced but the surround would still be rusty and I imagine that that is why this one has broken.

767mph?  no wonder Hairnet needed to top it up at Whitchurch ;)

May be worth trying to find a friendly fitter who wouldn't mind taking the old one out, letting you repair the surround, then coming back later to fit a new one. 

I have a friendly fitter but if I called the insurer I doubt it would be him.  That said Peter James are very nice understanding people who have insured me for years. Perhaps if I explained the screen would last longer if repaired properly they would consider it an investment in not having to pay for another next year.

I would feel rather bad getting a screen that was broken on arrival replaced by them though so probably won't.  If I weld a replacement in then then no windscreen fitters are required.

Sorry but I've avoided Facebook this long, I'm not going to start now.  I'm sure they are a lovely bunch so feel free to cross post anything.

Here she is in her corroded glory once I'd got home from work.

post-4555-0-49366700-1540235171_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-14266300-1540235185_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-58031600-1540235200_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-99324000-1540235213_thumb.jpg

After taking these I put the phone away and looked in the boot for the first time.  Thanks guys I now have enough magazines to keep me going for years.

It's had a hard life, the little cover over the buttons of the clock looks to have snapped orf.

Even the plastic trims under the headlamps look as though they have come out in sympathy of the arches.

I did a clutch on a 420 Sli once, the bolt had corroded solid in the front engine mount, snapped right off. Looks the sun shone on Bol when he had to do this one.

Wob those arches up and it will be a minter.

You can get the glass Bond 'cutting tools off eBay for about a tenner. I cut a 400 R8 rear quarter light out of a car down the yard once. Bought a tube of window mastic and fitted it into my car to replace the broken quarter light. The mastic was like a well constipated turd to get out of the gun, should have used black silicone seal like the banger boys use.

Cutting the screen out of the bike will be easy, you don't have to worry about saving it. Getting a screen out of a car down the yard is 'do able' with patience.

GLWTR

Having been to the odd AS gathering in the past and having participated in piling magazines into the cars of Shitters who've wandered off for 5 mins I did suspect that having a car at a meet without me could lead to the aquisition of treasure*.

post-4555-0-20765800-1540239170_thumb.jpg

Interesting that bonded glass is vaguely DIYable,  I'm not sure how brave I'm currently feeling so am tempted to borrow some small wipers and arms from the back of the work Fiestas and commision a large sunstrip for MOT purposes.  It will be fixed but I'm not currently sure how.  I suspect that the current screen has cracked due to rot so repairs are required before new glass goes in.

Sorry but I've avoided Facebook this long, I'm not going to start now.  I'm sure they are a lovely bunch so feel free to cross post anything.

Here she is in her corroded glory once I'd got home from work.

attachicon.gif220 a.jpg

attachicon.gif220 b.jpg

attachicon.gif220 c.jpg

attachicon.gif220 dash.jpg

After taking these I put the phone away and looked in the boot for the first time.  Thanks guys I now have enough magazines to keep me going for years.

You're welcome :) I'm sure it was Chaseracer's idea....

Having been to the odd AS gathering in the past and having participated in piling magazines into the cars of Shitters who've wandered off for 5 mins I did suspect that having a car at a meet without me could lead to the aquisition of treasure*.

220 treasure.jpg

Interesting that bonded glass is vaguely DIYable, I'm not sure how brave I'm currently feeling so am tempted to borrow some small wipers and arms from the back of the work Fiestas and commision a large sunstrip for MOT purposes. It will be fixed but I'm not currently sure how. I suspect that the current screen has cracked due to rot so repairs are required before new glass goes in.

That's good going! I thought dollywobbler was stealth at sf17, I found 4 magazines 3 weeks later when I properly cleaned the car!

You can get the glass Bond 'cutting tools off eBay for about a tenner.

Are those the ones where you feed a sort of abrasive cheese wire through from one side to the other and then use it to cut all the way round? I've not yet needed to replace a screen but I'd have a go at that if I did.

Cats - I know of a bloke from the Black country who is an independent windscreen fitter. He supplied and fitted the Micra's windscreen for about £130 all in. I shouldn't think it'd be much more than for an R8 Rover 200. I can send the number over to you if you're interested.

I'll bear that in mind mate but my tame fitter is really good and happy to work in my yard while I work.  This also means he can pull the screen out one day and then call back when the frame is fixed.

Great to see this Rover still going long may it continue.

Not sure if it's of use but I've used this company before and found them to be good for older car repair panels. Link shows what they currently list as available for the R8. 

https://www.carz2.co.uk/rover-200400-90-95--16497-c.asp

If you speak to them direct they can sometimes supply panels and bumpers etc which aren't listed on the website.

Failing that as the R8 shares it's DNA with the Honda Concerto this one breaking on ebay might be of use for the windscreen and repair panels needed? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CONCERTO-1-5i-AUTO-BREAKING/253810603104?hash=item3b184a7460:g:LQEAAOSwDyBbg3Hp:rk:16:pf:0

I don't know if you are still considering the idea but I think welding in a windscreen surround complete with windscreen is very unlikely to go well. 

I suppose you are probably right,  would cutting the assembly out of a scrap car also be a bad idea?

I've had great fun charging around in this today,  the suns been out and the roads were dry.  While the exhaust blow is a PITA on a long 60mph drag it is childishly entertaining blasting around the local B roads.  I did however notice that it was slow to turn over at my first stop, unfortunately a hoon soon made me forget this so I didn't think about it when I stopped at the 2nd job.  I got back in and it barely turned over, fortunately the customer was friendly and had jump leads.  Less fortunately they were utterly hopeless jump leads but at this point I noticed that the negative battery terminal was loose, it wouldn't tighten so I put a screw in :oops:. Now bodged it started first time.  While I was there I spotted the absence of battery clamp,  I'll wang a ratchet strap around it for the MOT and try and remember to grab something from whichever car gets stripped for bits.

Quick question,  are Concerto front wings the same as these?