E39 Brown Trout (tm) ROFFLE BACK OFF.

Jim Bell

Colour is spectacular, so unusual don't think I've ever seen another.  

You won't, it's unique in the UK. It was a dealer launch car/demo for Neep of Colchester (now Cooper) who ordered it in this colour. Brown was seriously unfashionable* back then so an odd colour choice.

N843FEV is the original registration number btw.

Wow, it's even more glorious than the ebay ad made it look! For £535 that is a raging bargain.

JohnK's first dibs notwithstanding, can I get my name down for 22 and 44 (or if not two randoms) just in case, because I can see a roffle selling out before I see it, and I'm on here every day...

You won't, it's unique in the UK. It was a dealer launch car/demo for Neep of Colchester (now Cooper) who ordered it in this colour. Brown was seriously unfashionable* back then so an odd colour choice.

Thats interesting man, cheers. Wonder what the chances of getting a touch up pen are then.

That is beautiful. What a good buy for £535!

I wonder why Mr Neep of the Colchester BMW dealer (or perhaps Mrs Neep) liked brown so much?

I miss the old BMW dealers with all the local names. In Hereford/Worcester we had Browns of Hereford (shame this wasn’t their dealer launch car really), Richard Cound of Evesham and I’m sure a ‘Carl Norris’ of Kidderminster or Redditch.

There were dealers with names like First Front, Cronk, Milcars, Colver & Hencher, Hexagon plus Alec Norman Garages and G. Eric Hunt* in Leeds.

Mostly Sytner, Stratstone and Cooper now.

Could be worse. You now have Oxford Audi, Leeds Audi, Taunton Audi, Milton Fucking Keynes Audi. All dealer names as dynamic and inspiring as the cars themselves.

*You'd have to say that carefully.

How do you know this? Is it a bit of a special car then amongst BMW circles or something?

It would have been sold her originally then, Neeps were well known for a long time.

1f33c3c49d20ff38181b89bd9c32def0.jpg

This thread is channeling Hendry quite well.

Harry Fairbairn is the BMW dealer in Inverness which is a front for Arnold Clark. Can't have BMW customers buying cars from the same dealer brand as Peugeot or Renault customers.

I think they were actually forced to keep the name for a certain amount of time as a condition of the sale

Brown is a bit of an odd choice, but you have to remember we are talking about 1996, BMWs were a thing still bought by proper people for proper money, not a badge on a fwd Kia Carens copy shitbox.

One thing that the discerning buyer could do to signify how much more comfortable they were than those other buyers was to order a car in individual spec.

I don't this this was a new thing in 1996, I've definitely seen individual E34s, but my guess is they ordered a rank colour for their demo specifically to give a talking point about the Individual program.

-Would sir like to try our new e39?

-It drives brilliant, but wtf is going on with the colour?

-Well sir, this is an individual, you can order your car with whatever paint/trim/etc colours you want and so on and whatnot...

Would like to see what Cronk ordered for a demo, maybe techno violet?

8de5f1f517d834e5a5eeabddf213452c.jpg