Jump to content

Such Brown wafty land yachtage


Uncleben

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Uncleben said:

Are there many other yank owners on here? 

Ohhhhhhhhhh Yes!  You'll find a few in here...

...And specifically the story of the vast brown land yacht we all came to know as Huggy Bear...

Huggy was my most recent brush with Detroit, but may possibly not be my last.  Anything can happen, even when I'm spending every penny I have on the Jag that followed Huggy!

See also @danthecapriman who has a gorgeous Mercury, also from 1973.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard!

That car is absolutely gorgeous! I’m so glad I can still see it on here.

Heres mine.

IMG_1618.thumb.jpeg.88b91f8c374205d38470a77b921a900f.jpeg
 

IMG_1105.thumb.jpeg.3209bdcc8aa5b914cabc4e32046bb8f0.jpeg

73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429ci (7.0 litre) big block. Essentially the same car as your LTD but most likely bought new by an old person being a Mercury!😆

We’re almost number plate buddies too!


That old tyre is hilarious btw!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh Yes!  You'll find a few in here...

...And specifically the story of the vast brown land yacht we all came to know as Huggy Bear...

Huggy was my most recent brush with Detroit, but may possibly not be my last.  Anything can happen, even when I'm spending every penny I have on the Jag that followed Huggy!

See also @danthecapriman who has a gorgeous Mercury, also from 1973.

Oooh, i'll get stuck into that Huggy bear thread over the weekend! already read through @danthecapriman mercury thread, what an investment of time, money and patience! I doff thy cap to thee sir!

13 hours ago, Captain Mainwaring said:

Welcome along, that's absolutely brilliant. I would dearly love one of these silly full-size Yank barges one day, a Ford Country Squire or an old Caprice maybe...

I believe everyone should own a full size yank barge at some point in their lives!

13 hours ago, Bren said:

Every 70's US cop show....

Currently resisting the urge to purchase one of those red police lights so i can chase bad guys....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncleben said:

Yeah, it was pretty bad! Completely lost its shape/structure, the passenger side wasn't much better! 

Completely transformed the way it drives with the new, round tyres! 

I’ve never seen one look like that before! Did you drive it with that tyre on? I bet it felt horrendous!?🤣

It reminds me, I need to get the spare out of the Mercury trunk and check it really. It’s an ancient S rated tyre. Almost certainly not fit for use. Can you even buy S rated tyres anymore?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

I’ve never seen one look like that before! Did you drive it with that tyre on? I bet it felt horrendous!?🤣

It reminds me, I need to get the spare out of the Mercury trunk and check it really. It’s an ancient S rated tyre. Almost certainly not fit for use. Can you even buy S rated tyres anymore?

I drove it 70 miles home, Was a bit of steering wheel wobble! To be fair, the previous owner warned me it needed tyres and when inflated it wasn't that bad, just had a bit of a bulge, when the air was let out it kind of collapsed! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome


Love the whole rear lights and panel section.


Browness gets my tick.

 

I seem to have a procession of Americanness pass through my gates.

 

Current one, bought off @Rocket88  here. 

 

Also happen to own another car he and others on here have owned and driven.

 

 

C8E1E20F-243D-49BA-B726-7B54E52C5C1C.jpeg

IMG_7041.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Three Speed said:

Welcome @Uncleben! Very nice motor. 

Here's my yank. Currently my daily ride as all the others are broken. 

 newyorkeratbrooklands.thumb.JPG.76d1a9d35bfceadc1b85e6e138edaad7.JPG

Driving a huge LHD barge is not a difficult as people think since it's no wider than many modern cars. Longer though.

We're not worthy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Three Speed said:

Welcome @Uncleben! Very nice motor. 

Here's my yank. Currently my daily ride as all the others are broken. 

 newyorkeratbrooklands.thumb.JPG.76d1a9d35bfceadc1b85e6e138edaad7.JPG

Driving a huge LHD barge is not a difficult as people think since it's no wider than many modern cars. Longer though.

THAT is pure sex on wheels. ❤️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/11/2023 at 21:14, grizz said:

Welcome


Love the whole rear lights and panel section.


Browness gets my tick.

 

I seem to have a procession of Americanness pass through my gates.

 

Current one, bought off @Rocket88  here. 

 

Also happen to own another car he and others on here have owned and driven.

 

 

C8E1E20F-243D-49BA-B726-7B54E52C5C1C.jpeg

IMG_7041.jpeg

Me also, I intend to attempt to try and illuminate the centre rear panel when lights are on, as I think it would look delightful. 

IMG-20231016-WA0002.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, with it being nearly winter and the dark is more, I needed to address the lack of speedo light uppage. 

I could reach one of the bulb holders without taking the cluster out if I  folded myself at an unnecessary angle, changing the bulb didn't produce light. I don't fancy trying to remove the cluster because speedo cable and 50 yr old brittle plastic! Will need to at some point to investigate, but for now a temporary led strip plugged into the cigar lighter will suffice, I can now watch the fuel gauge empty in real-time! 

I will route the wires so they are hidden, but for now this will do, black and brown electrical tape ftw. 

PXL_20231109_130235331.thumb.jpg.c69890491cfebb7ad951c673228f89cf.jpg

PXL_20231109_130246164.thumb.jpg.26c554d3663d3bf2b437dcf9f7e7cd7e.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...