Jump to content

Daft tyre names


Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

PXL_20260220_091327814.jpg

https://www.blockleytyre.com/page/blockey-tyre-company-origins

ABOUT THE BLOCKLEY TYRE COMPANY

I formed this company because I needed tyres to fit a Grand Prix (26M) Maserati that was in the process of restoration, and this was the only way of obtaining the highest quality period looking suitable tyres for the job. I wanted a genuine high speed road tyre suitable for competition purposes, so I could drive to the event legally, using the correct wheel sizes and rim widths.

  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Scrolling through F*ceboom a promoted advert for AliBaba showed these

IMG_1363.png.76c1f1bbb4fa41133d86da6a6452a3a9.png

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

^^^^ The Nova Force is made by Leao (derived from 'leão'  the Portugeuse for lion) a sub-brand of the world famous comically named Linglong.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Spotted on a newish Lada Niva spotted in Spain. H backwards N BA is Cyrillic for 'Niva'.

IMG_20260413_163733.jpg.06b91104fa435625c129509b774b153c.jpg

  • Like 4
Posted

PXL_20260419_102925905.jpg.e3560a242400a121389e14025be75991.jpg

PXL_20260419_102947945.jpg.bfd0980167bfd61c3760ce6c90ed31ed.jpg

Not so much a daft name, but daft behaviour IMO. My friend had to change one tyre on his very nice E30 cabriolet, and tried to get a match to the other three - but ended up fitting this, which if I'm right was made in 1992! 

I have said I really don't think it's a good idea...

PXL_20260418_132225775.jpg.dfe6fde0adc4b681148e5df7de06d707.jpg

PXL_20260418_132232213.jpg.cbae978a53c024ae1f9472cd4f1060fa.jpg

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Posted
1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

 

 

Not so much a daft name, but daft behaviour IMO. My friend had to change one tyre on his very nice E30 cabriolet, and tried to get a match to the other three - but ended up fitting this, which if I'm right was made in 1992! 

I have said I really don't think it's a good idea...

PXL_20260418_132225775.jpg.dfe6fde0adc4b681148e5df7de06d707.jpg

PXL_20260418_132232213.jpg.cbae978a53c024ae1f9472cd4f1060fa.jpg

 

Not sure about ‘92 but Continental launched the Sport Contact 2 in 2003 so I reckon that tyre is at least 20 years old, we’re up to Sport Contact 7 now.

If that was the best match then all the tyres are likely old I’m sure he’d notice a massive improvement by fitting a new set (or even some just made this decade).

Posted

 

On 21/04/2026 at 00:27, bunglebus said:

PXL_20260419_102925905.jpg.e3560a242400a121389e14025be75991.jpg

PXL_20260419_102947945.jpg.bfd0980167bfd61c3760ce6c90ed31ed.jpg

Not so much a daft name, but daft behaviour IMO. My friend had to change one tyre on his very nice E30 cabriolet, and tried to get a match to the other three - but ended up fitting this, which if I'm right was made in 1992! 

I have said I really don't think it's a good idea...

PXL_20260418_132225775.jpg.dfe6fde0adc4b681148e5df7de06d707.jpg

PXL_20260418_132232213.jpg.cbae978a53c024ae1f9472cd4f1060fa.jpg

Just came to post this 😂

PXL_20260423_081234894.jpg.56b188336c5a5e6426e93d9f184a3165.jpg

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted

No pictures though our Panda is shod (on the front at least) with GOODRIDES. Quality. 

Posted
On 21/02/2026 at 20:24, bunglebus said:

PXL_20260220_091327814.jpg

As mentioned, Blockley is a proper, specialist quality remake of out-of-production sizes and tread patterns for vintage cars .

See also: Longstone, their big vintage repro rival, before that one ends up on here too 😅

  • 5 weeks later...
Posted
5 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Semes

PXL_20260823_105438873~2.jpg

That’s exactly where they fall apart.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted
On 24/08/2026 at 07:50, bunglebus said:

Semes

PXL_20260823_105438873~2.jpg

Semes like a nice tyre.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Just now, bunglebus said:

PXL_20260927_102406676~2.jpg

PXL_20260927_102409036~2.jpg

I’m always amazed they have to put “outside” on a car tyre. Who the hell is going to use them inside ffs!?

  • Haha 3
Posted
5 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I’m always amazed they have to put “outside” on a car tyre. Who the hell is going to use them inside ffs!?

It's to reassure you that the tyre's orientation is correct. Oh, I see, those special 'indoor' tyres....

Motorbike tyres have a rotation arrow on them, but, in the case of front wheels with double discs they can often be replaced the wrong way round so extra car has to be taken.

Posted
7 hours ago, martc said:

It's to reassure you that the tyre's orientation is correct. Oh, I see, those special 'indoor' tyres....

Motorbike tyres have a rotation arrow on them, but, in the case of front wheels with double discs they can often be replaced the wrong way round so extra car has to be taken.

Yes I know . It was a joke (almost). 

Posted
14 hours ago, martc said:

Turns out Petlas is a Turkish company and appear to be independent. 

https://www.petlas.com/en/about/

Petlas have been making rather good cheap versions of mud terrain or all terrain tyres for proper off road vehicles for decades now. 

Posted

ROADSTONE. Probably as hard as Roadstone too:

Screenshot_20260927_184257_Facebook.jpg.676abab4c2b3c619ec4163a949e7efd1.jpg

Screenshot_20260927_184235_Facebook.jpg.018d8d7c320021dfeef868a525fc9385.jpg

Posted

IMG_2397.jpeg.1e291c1470ddcd63949beba0573dce86.jpeg

This ‘Mabor Sport-Jet’ was fitted to a 308 I came across in Frigiliana

Posted

Not a tyre, but I don't remember Porsche having to write 'luxury technology' on its hubcaps

IMG_20261004_151307.jpg.12e84058a326af728a68a63b68b9bf46.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...