Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
16 hours ago, colino said:

Rubber prices seem to have taken a leap into stupid territory. Current Mrs colino has a unicorn 108.  Originally Mobility, now at 5 years old and less than 20,000 miles went in for its annual mot and service. Local, knobead mot tester put advisories on all 4 tyres.  Guess how much per corner for 165/60 r15s? (Continental, to keep original). That's right, £116 for a CityBug. 

I'd be checking prices for 155 and 175 section tyres and if you need all four then switch to A. N. Other brand - often Asda and Black Circles do a nice discount if you're buying four. 

Posted
On 03/09/2026 at 20:00, colino said:

Rubber prices seem to have taken a leap into stupid territory. Current Mrs colino has a unicorn 108.  Originally Mobility, now at 5 years old and less than 20,000 miles went in for its annual mot and service. Local, knobead mot tester put advisories on all 4 tyres.  Guess how much per corner for 165/60 r15s? (Continental, to keep original). That's right, £116 for a CityBug. 

Does it have to be original make tyres? Plenty of decent branded rubber around for nearer £80 a corner? Should be able to pick up Yokos or Nexens for about that price, you may even find a discount code or promotion.

£116/corner for Contis is cheaper than I can find all in or delivered and fitted having just done a google for your size (because most of the places round me will charge £25+ fitting per tyre).

On 03/09/2026 at 20:48, sierraman said:

Try your local independent, mine is £1-2 dearer a tyre than the usual places but I’d sooner support him and keep him going because when I need a puncture job or something odd like some trailer tyres he gets them and works round me. 

I wish the local friendly place was only 1-2 quid a tyre more because I would use him more. He’s nearer £15-20, but he does do puncture repairs and balancing much cheaper than the big chains so I use him for repairs as opposed for sales (still only around a tenner for either)

Posted
On 03/09/2026 at 18:09, R Lutz said:

The only thing I would say about that is manufacturers decide on their own tyre labels. There is no defined test procedure and no inspection. Treat tyre labels with great circumspect. You need handle tyres frequently to be able to feel and see a difference that contradicts, or certainly throws label ratings into question to believe this. 

There are some i-Link things on my smoll high-un-dai and I've never, ever, ever experienced something so bad.  They will understeer in the dry with a mighty 85hp driving them.

I was a proper tyre snob for a long time but am sick of throwing tyres away due to degradation rather than wear - so now go mid-range.  I bought some MAXXIS for the Mondeo and they were utterly brilliant in standing water.  These i-Links in rain are terrifying - even in a straight line!

Posted

Avon was always my go-to tyre for whatever car. But there's been some adverse publication for Avon tyres supplied by Halfrauds on X this week highlighted by ex-motoring rotter Hilton Holloway (aka Hotel Prison to his mates).

Posted

I've bought a couple of pairs of tyres this year. A pair of Avons for the front of our Saab 9-3 in February/March, which replaced a near end of life pair of Triangles, and a pair of Kumhos for the front of our Merc W203 a couple of weeks ago, replacing a pair of Winruns.

The Saab are 225/45/17, and the triangles became very sketchy in the wet towards the end of their life. The Avons were a marked improvement, but they were newer. I managed to get them in the ATS clearance for £130 fitted for the pair. I've since heard that Avon deteriorate quite quickly, but they were budget tyre money and I've been happy with them for the 4/5 months they've been on the car.

The Merc are 205/55/16. The Winruns have held up fairly well in terms of wear, but the outside edges had worn. They weren't particularly confidence inspiring, and the pair on the rear struggle when on anything loose. I've only had the Kumhos for a few weeks, but again they seem fine so far and I'd happily buy them again. I got these via BlackCircles as they were much cheaper than the local fitters were offering. They were fitted by my local fitter, and I'd happily use them direct if their prices were close to what BlackCircles were offering. Their direct price was about £30 more, £140 vs £170. 

TLDR: Midrange tyres can be found fairly cheap if you shop around. Well known brands might not last as long as they used to, so I avoid the cheapest as I've found them to be less than stellar, but I've been happy with midrange brands. 

Posted

After decades of motoring and countless tyre changes I've found that top end tyres aren't necessarily any better than mid-range tyres. 

Avons were fine in use but wore out very quickly so I've never bought another set. Our old car came to us on a set of tyres by some obscure Chinese firm (from a main dealer) but it drove ok bearing in mind it was a large automatic crossover used for family journeys. 

The only time I get really picky about tyres is for motorbikes. I especially don't like most Dunlops, but also found Michelin and Bridgestone tyres decidedly meh. Personally I prefer to buy Metzeler which are regarded as a budget brand, but who do superb super sticky road and track day tyres (had loads of these).  

Posted

They've made it easy to judge tyres with every legal one having scores on its label.  Many  cheap ones are cheap for a reason. 

Posted
47 minutes ago, colino said:

They've made it easy to judge tyres with every legal one having scores on its label.  Many  cheap ones are cheap for a reason. 

The tyres labels are not the guide you think they are.

Posted
5 hours ago, R Lutz said:

Avon was always my go-to tyre for whatever car. But there's been some adverse publication for Avon tyres supplied by Halfrauds on X this week highlighted by ex-motoring rotter Hilton Holloway (aka Hotel Prison to his mates).

They used to be good and probably are if you are doing a lot of miles quickly but they seem to perish like Aldi fruit lately. 

Posted
On 03/09/2026 at 20:47, KruJoe said:

In previous years I've used Tyreleader to find new rubber cheap. Everything came within 3 days from their one place in Germany. 

However this last time Camskill were best value by some way for my chosen Yokohamas, everywhere else were £50+ more for the set delivered.

WhatsAppImage2026-09-03at20_39_21.jpeg.f9a1c56a14fdca434f59c7d6d13498f2.jpeg

Then I had £50 to pay a local place for fitting. 

That is a great price for a good tyre in that size. My Forester came wearing the same ones and they were decent.

5 hours ago, R Lutz said:

Avon was always my go-to tyre for whatever car. But there's been some adverse publication for Avon tyres supplied by Halfrauds on X this week highlighted by ex-motoring rotter Hilton Holloway (aka Hotel Prison to his mates).

I used their winter tyres for a couple of seasons but when they got to 4-5 years old, the grip just suddenly went off, despite there being plenty of tread depth. And it was sudden as well, one day it was grippy as usual, the next day it was even worse than slicks. I dunno what happened to the compound but I've never used Avons since. It's a shame because when they did work, they worked very well for the price of them.

Posted

I used to fit loads of Avon tyres when I was in the garage. They were a good tyre imho, quite a soft rubber so you got pretty good grip and a nice ride but that made them wear out quicker than others. 
Continental were another brand we supplied which lasted longer but they always seemed rock hard so the grip/ride never felt as good. 
Hankook were another mid level brand I quite liked. Reasonable cost V’s ride/lifespan.

Ive got Goodyear’s all round on the Volvo and Firestone’s on the Capri which seem to be good tyres so far. Not that I use the Capri much! I always favour softer tyres for their nicer ride rather than hard long lasting ones.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...