Jump to content

Please check your tyres!


Recommended Posts

Posted

So this happened on Wednesday night on my way home from work 😬

20260924_130731.jpg.080cafe3f1bd49bb8a37099b9afa10e5.jpg

Go check the INSIDE of your tyres please!

This was a 5 year old Michelin Cross Climate which still had legal tread. It was advised at MOT as wearing low but no sidewall issues at that time. I actually had a new pair of tyres to put on but I could have done without it letting go when I was only half way home 🙄 It was losing a bit of air and when I first felt it go, I thought the tyre had actually popped off the rim. I had meant to put air in it when I fuelled up but of course I forgot and drove straight past the sodding airline 🤦‍♀️ Some how I think it would have went pop regardless. Just glad it didn't cause me to lose control.

I am suspicious that there is an issue with Cross Climate 2s or maybe they are just not suited to big heavy Volvos. I'd already replaced the rear 2 on the V70 as they failed MOT due to cords showing and a friend who had an XC90 said he had a 2 year old Cross Climate let go in the same way. 

I'm a bit nervous that I'd already bought replacement Cross Climates so I may well need to change them again. The same car wore out a Bridgestone Weather Control in about 6 months but so far the Falken Euro All Seasons it's been wearing on the back since May are holding up well. The inside on one of them is wearing faster than the other but I'm not sure how much adjustment is possible in the rear.

Either way, I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on my tyres from now!

Posted

My friend got caught out with this yesterday. Arrived at work with a flat tyre 'yea it's been going down recently...) 

Took it over to the local tyre place to the office and they found this 

IMG-20260924-WA0000.jpg.ce831863c79f95eb963a156c8c24a5c4.jpg

£140 for 2x new tyres 😢 (both were worn the same, 9 months old...) It's due its mot in early Nov so our plan is to swap those fronts to the back so they can stay in good order, change the rear abs sensor to get the light off and have it in for its MOT. After that we'll see what the test brings to light but I think new bottom arms drop links outer tie rods and a good tracking is the only way to be sure you're checked all that can be checked. 

I had the same in my old xsara. Ended up being one of the rear bushes for the front arm mega worn... 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted

Oh. My front tyres are Michelin Cross Climate tyres (around 4 years old). They're on steel wheels. I'll take a butcher's before it gets dark.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

So this happened on Wednesday night on my way home from work 😬

20260924_130731.jpg.080cafe3f1bd49bb8a37099b9afa10e5.jpg

Go check the INSIDE of your tyres please!

This was a 5 year old Michelin Cross Climate which still had legal tread. It was advised at MOT as wearing low but no sidewall issues at that time. I actually had a new pair of tyres to put on but I could have done without it letting go when I was only half way home 🙄 It was losing a bit of air and when I first felt it go, I thought the tyre had actually popped off the rim. I had meant to put air in it when I fuelled up but of course I forgot and drove straight past the sodding airline 🤦‍♀️ Some how I think it would have went pop regardless. Just glad it didn't cause me to lose control.

I am suspicious that there is an issue with Cross Climate 2s or maybe they are just not suited to big heavy Volvos. I'd already replaced the rear 2 on the V70 as they failed MOT due to cords showing and a friend who had an XC90 said he had a 2 year old Cross Climate let go in the same way. 

I'm a bit nervous that I'd already bought replacement Cross Climates so I may well need to change them again. The same car wore out a Bridgestone Weather Control in about 6 months but so far the Falken Euro All Seasons it's been wearing on the back since May are holding up well. The inside on one of them is wearing faster than the other but I'm not sure how much adjustment is possible in the rear.

Either way, I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on my tyres from now!

Has that been rubbing on the arch liner? Or just the  tracking out ?

Posted

I'm not sure the tyres are at fault in the OP's case.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

@sierraman your tyres are shite 🤣

I think the title should read , 'check your bushes or tracking'.

Knew it! 😂

  • Haha 2
Posted

Cross climates are shit shocker. Gunho ditch drifters have much more sidewall strength. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Has that been rubbing on the arch liner? Or just the  tracking out ?

Not rubbing but tracking is out some where. No advisories on the rear at MOT time tho.

I saw when changing the fronts that it will need wishbone bushes but not sure that would affect the rear?

Posted
38 minutes ago, Flat4 said:Not rubbing but tracking is out some where. No advisories on the rear at MOT time tho.

I saw when changing the fronts that it will need wishbone bushes but not sure that would affect the rear?

I don’t know. When I first took on the x1/9 the rear tyres ( Michelin )  were down to the cords like yours. Rear tracking was miles out.

Posted
11 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I don’t know. When I first took on the x1/9 the rear tyres ( Michelin )  were down to the cords like yours. Rear tracking was miles out.

Oh and the fronts were the original Pirelli cinturato! 18 years old!  I still have one as the historical spare.  Merittyres near me was good doing the tracking in the Mercedes and I used feltham tyres near Heathrow for the fiat. Four wheeled laser alignment is cheaper than a tyre.

Posted

We had a near miss last weekend as I spotted a bulge and cut in the sidewall on the back of mother's E-3008. Managed to get a new one on it this week, but that thing is cursed with tyres, a 74 plate on 20k and only one of its original tyres.

  • Sad 1
Posted
2 hours ago, Flat4 said:

So this happened on Wednesday night on my way home from work 😬

20260924_130731.jpg.080cafe3f1bd49bb8a37099b9afa10e5.jpg

Go check the INSIDE of your tyres please!

This was a 5 year old Michelin Cross Climate which still had legal tread. It was advised at MOT as wearing low but no sidewall issues at that time. I actually had a new pair of tyres to put on but I could have done without it letting go when I was only half way home 🙄 It was losing a bit of air and when I first felt it go, I thought the tyre had actually popped off the rim. I had meant to put air in it when I fuelled up but of course I forgot and drove straight past the sodding airline 🤦‍♀️ Some how I think it would have went pop regardless. Just glad it didn't cause me to lose control.

I am suspicious that there is an issue with Cross Climate 2s or maybe they are just not suited to big heavy Volvos. I'd already replaced the rear 2 on the V70 as they failed MOT due to cords showing and a friend who had an XC90 said he had a 2 year old Cross Climate let go in the same way. 

I'm a bit nervous that I'd already bought replacement Cross Climates so I may well need to change them again. The same car wore out a Bridgestone Weather Control in about 6 months but so far the Falken Euro All Seasons it's been wearing on the back since May are holding up well. The inside on one of them is wearing faster than the other but I'm not sure how much adjustment is possible in the rear.

Either way, I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on my tyres from now!

That tyre damage is evidence of a massive problem with suspension components and/or body/ subframes.

Reminds me of when I followed a neighbour for about 10 miles one night: sparks flying from both rear tyres. They were ruined like the one in this image on the way back from some mot work. (Renault 25, major error in rebuilding the rear suspension)

Posted

A set of Cross Climates on our 4wd Korando, which would probably be heavier than a V70, will last for 40k miles, swapping them front to rear every 12k or so miles. There's something very wrong with the OPs car for that to happen.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Asimo said:

That tyre damage is evidence of a massive problem with suspension components and/or body/ subframes.

Reminds me of when I followed a neighbour for about 10 miles one night: sparks flying from both rear tyres. They were ruined like the one in this image on the way back from some mot work. (Renault 25, major error in rebuilding the rear suspension)

A bigger issue than a worn wishbone bush? That's all I can see to my untrained eye but it also seems to need drop links at most MOTs.

Posted

I'd bet you need new lower arms. Not the tyres fault. Whatever you do don't just fit new tyres, you'll ruin them in no time. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Posted

I also have done thousands of miles on Crossclimates without any issues, thats absolutely a suspension problem.

Posted
8 hours ago, Brigsy said:

I also have done thousands of miles on Crossclimates without any issues, thats absolutely a suspension problem.

No use just getting the "tracking" done either. I'd take it to a a friendly MOT place and get them to put it on the shaker plates. Doing that and then raising the wheels as well and going round with a pry bar should find what's knackered. If a test is imminent anyway, then all to the good. 

  • Agree 2
Posted

Our Passat was wearing the inside of the rears. Got the tracking checked and it was fine. Turned out both rear springs were broken. It was hard to spot as they had broken about 2" off the ends so at first glance they looked fine. 

Posted
36 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

No use just getting the "tracking" done either. I'd take it to a a friendly MOT place and get them to put it on the shaker plates. Doing that and then raising the wheels as well and going round with a pry bar should find what's knackered. If a test is imminent anyway, then all to the good. 

Agreed, tracking rarely fixes anything unless its had components replaced to cure the issue.

My mate has a gashqai that runs off a tyre on the back over time. After replacing a few bits, was found to be bent to fuck due to previous crash damage 

Posted
7 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

No use just getting the "tracking" done either. I'd take it to a a friendly MOT place and get them to put it on the shaker plates. Doing that and then raising the wheels as well and going round with a pry bar should find what's knackered. If a test is imminent anyway, then all to the good. 

It was only tested in March and no advisories for anything suspension related, aside from the drop link. It is due a service shortly though so I will get this investigated before it eats through another set of tyres....

Glad I posted this now, as silly as I feel, as I wouldn't have gone looking for any issues on the car otherwise.

Posted

I have only seen damage like that when a spring snapped and hit the tyre. You'd feel anything misaligned enough to do this - it would be awful to drive - but a spring ping that misses the seat on a rotation and contacts the tyre can do this in very few miles.

Posted

Just looked through the MOT history and there are a few advisories for the same thing prior to me buying it in 2021. Would this be enough to make the inside edge of the tyres wear on the rear?

  • Slight play in both rear anti roll bar mountings
Posted
36 minutes ago, Flat4 said:

Just looked through the MOT history and there are a few advisories for the same thing prior to me buying it in 2021. Would this be enough to make the inside edge of the tyres wear on the rear?

  • Slight play in both rear anti roll bar mountings

That definitely won't be related.

Posted

Had a set of cross climates and subsequent set of cross climate 2 on my W212 E class estate with normal wear patterns, it was frequently used  loaded. Glad it didn't cause you a mischief when it went down though.

Posted
10 hours ago, Brigsy said:

Agreed, tracking rarely fixes anything unless its had components replaced to cure the issue.

My mate has a gashqai that runs off a tyre on the back over time. After replacing a few bits, was found to be bent to fuck due to previous crash damage 

It amazes me the number of people that take the car to be tracked and the inner void bushes are fucked. 

Posted

I had to swap out one of the rears on the Awdi cadbury ole. To my surprise, it had it's unused 2003 spare in the boot. I drove a fair few mile on it until that hot spell and... BOOMSHACKALAK!

IMG_20260811_171549632_HDR.jpg.01fb52286fcc1527b6d2426a70fb6d45.jpg

She went down with a pop at 70. Sidewall failed. Totally my error in thinking a 23 year old tyre would be OK still have it's structural integrity. As a punishment, it's now got 4 new kumho all weathers put on it. Lesson learned.

  • Like 2
Posted
5 minutes ago, MVX11V said:

I had to swap out one of the rears on the Awdi cadbury ole. To my surprise, it had it's unused 2003 spare in the boot. I drove a fair few mile on it until that hot spell and... BOOMSHACKALAK!

IMG_20260811_171549632_HDR.jpg.01fb52286fcc1527b6d2426a70fb6d45.jpg

She went down with a pop at 70. Sidewall failed. Totally my error in thinking a 23 year old tyre would be OK still have it's structural integrity. As a punishment, it's now got 4 new kumho all weathers put on it. Lesson learned.

When I popped 2 tyres coming back from shitefest 2015 the ex (then partner) managed to get me one of the old wheels we had in the garden (I'd replaced the steels but not binned the old fucked ones) and I put the 1994 brand new space saver mitchelin on the rear 🤣 

Wasn't too concerned on the a and B roads but when we hit the m40 I panicked and did 55 in l1 the entire way home! 

It didn't explode or seemingly mind it at all after 120 miles but 2x new tyres got ordered ASAP after (to replace the bloody 2 new tyres I popped on a bit of rock I clipped avoiding a huge herd of bikers 😡) 

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...