AS Communal MK4&5 Mondeo Thread

warren t claim

On 9/13/2022 at 10:20 PM, Dead_E23 said:

I'd bin those mcGard locking nuts whilst the key made of chocolate will still undo them.

Been using mcguard stuff for years and never had an issue. It’s the other stuff I’ve always found to break. 

I borrowed the 2011 Titanium X earlier tonight for a 100 mile run to Stoke and back. It was like meeting an old friend again as it must be four years since I last drove a Mk4 Mondeo. I forgot how well the 2.0 diesel lump pulls while still being able to cruise at 70mph/2000rpm. The heated leather seats were amazing and my ample frame reset itself back to 2013-18 mode within ten minutes. I even seemed to awaken a long forgotten muscle memory programming the overly complicated cruise control. 

The only things that aged it were the lack of lane keep assist, adaptive cruise and reversing camera.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 2:13 PM, junkyarddog said:

20211010_135406.thumb.jpg.dcfa647813865b429ccaa651f26703b9.jpg

Just back home from 2 weeks in the UK.

My 13 year old Ford Mondeo did it with ease,despite England's crumbling roads network,the "fuel crisis" and me clobbering a rock at the side of the road and destroying a tyre in the process because some bell end in a Peugeot wouldn't give way(made all the more difficult owing to the fact I'd just loaded and was on the way to the tip with an old and extremely heavy washing machine)then having to pay through the nose for a hankook tyre!

£122!!

Although I'm extremely thankful that I got away with just a tyre and no other damage, apart for the wheel rim getting a small bit of damage. 

It's getting on a bit now,it clocked up 300,000km on the way to the ferry,and did another 2500km by the time I got home,so I'm thinking of replacing it, but I'm fucked if I know what with?

The mk4 mondeo, the perfect car?

For me it seems yes.

Just a shame I can't find another 3 year old one and run it for another 10 years😆

Well,it has just done another 2,500km to the UK and back with zero issues,will see how it gets on with it's test at the end of the year.

I'm still stumped as to what it's replacement will be!

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

Well. Unless I can magic up more space across the rear seats my mk4 might be getting sold soon. 

I need something with space for three kids across the back seat 🫣

They seem to be fetching top money lately so might be worth cashing in. Depends how old your kids are but I’ve fitted 3 in the back of mine no problem. 

24 minutes ago, sierraman said:

They seem to be fetching top money lately so might be worth cashing in. Depends how old your kids are but I’ve fitted 3 in the back of mine no problem. 

Ones 8, the other 2 and a new one will be appearing in April. I’ve been testing the seats in the car and just dont seem to have any room for the bigger one in the middle. I’m kinda surprised by how tight it is.

Prices are pretty decent for them at the minute but on the flip side, everything else is expensive. 

8 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Sorry, the car manufacturing world has decided that the only way to have 3 children is a Zafira, a Picasso, or a van.

Every estate car has the rear seats split 40/20/40 so the 3rd child in the middle has no chance.

This is why I went for a vasectomy after two. The thought of invasive surgery was better than the thought of being reduced to a Zafira. 

9 hours ago, Fraz said:

It’s not really the size of the kids. It’s the size of the seats for the two younger ones.

Buy smaller seats?

We used to fit three of us in the back of a Renault 6 when I were a lad, one in a baby seat, one on a booster and me just sat on the back seat.

So, after fitting both seats it’s confirmed. It’s abit tight. 

After a conversation with a mate who had a mk4 mondeo with three kids. The difference is the isofix seats. They hold the seat in the centre too much leaving too little room for a middle one to not be squashed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm the current owner of this Kelp Green mk4 ex taxi, ex 95 quid Peugeot,  ex Pat Earrings. On 230k. 2.0tdci.

Currently pausing going back into daily duty as it has an overboost issue. The vacuum circuit appears intact and holds a vacuum with my manual pump. The solenoid delivers about 25inhg vac but it steps up every 0.5second or so. Will cross check this on our s-max. With same vacuum the turbo actuator doesn't reach the end stop. Total movement on the actuator is only about 8mm. With some persuasion I can get the actuator to move to the end stop. Initial thought was soot in the vanes but also wondering about the actuator. May take the actuator off the lever and see how freely the vanes move. 

Other than that, 2nd little tricky to engage ( understandable considering past life ) and a little knock from front end ( guessing drop link, top mount what have you).

20221108_083002.jpg

5 hours ago, shedenvy said:

Hi all, I'm the current owner of this Kelp Green mk4 ex taxi, ex 95 quid Peugeot,  ex Pat Earrings. On 230k. 2.0tdci.

Currently pausing going back into daily duty as it has an overboost issue. The vacuum circuit appears intact and holds a vacuum with my manual pump. The solenoid delivers about 25inhg vac but it steps up every 0.5second or so. Will cross check this on our s-max. With same vacuum the turbo actuator doesn't reach the end stop. Total movement on the actuator is only about 8mm. With some persuasion I can get the actuator to move to the end stop. Initial thought was soot in the vanes but also wondering about the actuator. May take the actuator off the lever and see how freely the vanes move. 

Other than that, 2nd little tricky to engage ( understandable considering past life ) and a little knock from front end ( guessing drop link, top mount what have you).

20221108_083002.jpg

I have a spare solenoid. Have you tried stripping to solenoid down, it has an internal filter in it?