AS Communal MK4&5 Mondeo Thread

warren t claim

My mini Mondeo has started giving me a bit of grief after 2 trouble free years.. first a bust CV boot.. sorted but you have to do them from the other end, and now its telling me it needs an oil change. it doesn't, but wont reset.. Code P068a, won't go away, and now engine malfunction and no matter what its 12 degrees outside.. All pointing to a low voltage issue somewhere. ruled out the battery and the earths under the airbox. cleaned up all the battery terminals and maxi fuses. Changed the ECM relay. .

Still starting and driving same as it ever did, but this is really bothering me. 

11 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

My mini Mondeo has started giving me a bit of grief after 2 trouble free years.. first a bust CV boot.. sorted but you have to do them from the other end, and now its telling me it needs an oil change. it doesn't, but wont reset.. Code P068a, won't go away, and now engine malfunction and no matter what its 12 degrees outside.. All pointing to a low voltage issue somewhere. ruled out the battery and the earths under the airbox. cleaned up all the battery terminals and maxi fuses. Changed the ECM relay. .

Still starting and driving same as it ever did, but this is really bothering me. 

Shit like that annoys me, much prefer an obvious fault. Services of a good auto electrician are money well spent sometimes but it’s often a case of finding someone with the right kit and knowledge, not some bloke in a shed that is used to fitting spotlights to an Ital. 

On 7/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, sierraman said:

Shit like that annoys me, much prefer an obvious fault. Services of a good auto electrician are money well spent sometimes but it’s often a case of finding someone with the right kit and knowledge, not some bloke in a shed that is used to fitting spotlights to an Ital. 

Spent a bit more time on it today, and did sum lernin about P068a.. 

Put the O silly scope on Forscan and watched the voltages. Its dropping to 9.5v at the ECU on startup 😯 10.2v at the battery.. that would explain a lot! I can't believe how well it starts and have never had any "normal" low battery symptoms..  new one on it's way from Tanya. Need to code it in with Forscan. It tells me battery life is 69%.. 

P. S .. The battery is the original... from 2013..

On 7/7/2022 at 8:29 PM, Barry Cade said:

Spent a bit more time on it today, and did sum lernin about P068a.. 

Put the O silly scope on Forscan and watched the voltages. Its dropping to 9.5v at the ECU on startup 😯 10.2v at the battery.. that would explain a lot! I can't believe how well it starts and have never had any "normal" low battery symptoms..  new one on it's way from Tanya. Need to code it in with Forscan. It tells me battery life is 69%.. 

P. S .. The battery is the original... from 2013..

Brand new battery fitted today, and.....

Still exactly the same .

My sister had a 13 Focus with the 1.6 tdci engine and it was reliable and economical for her.

No experience of that engine in a Mondeo but I'd imagine them to be quite sluggish,especially taking off from a junction or roundabout when you'd need a bit of pep.

Probably decent enough, but personally I'd look for the 2.0 tdci,much better suited to a Mondeo. 

• 3 weeks later...

On Saturday night a friend phones me asking about what to look for regarding Mk4 Mondeos as he's going to look at one. I'm surprised as he owns a Golf R and ask him why he is after an eleven year old Mondeo. He replies that it's not for him but for Liam. I scratch my head as to who this Liam is and then it comes to me, Liam is his 18 year old nephew who passed his test earlier that week. For some reason his nephew wants a Mk4 Mondeo as his first car! 

I give he the best advice I can under the circumstances and an hour later I'm asked to go over to his house and appraise the Mondeo Liam has bought. I turn up to find that he's scored a 100,000 mile Mk4b 2011 Titanium X in 2.0 diesel flavour with all the toys for £1800. Other than a scratch in the OSR door it's a straight old thing. Fitted with Converse and heated/cooled seats and I'm impressed. 

Sadly the trip around the block I got of its proud new owner didn't go according to plan. The back box decided to part company with the rest of the exhaust meaning I had to detach it from the mountings and lob it in the boot. Having said that, it wasn't a great deal more noisy without it!

Not many about with only 100k, nearly all the ones I see have done 200k minimum. A good one is few and far between now which is probably testament to the car in a sense that they will take a kicking and still keep ticking. I’d consider a Mk5 when they are disposable money but thinking the Mk3 Focus looks a bit more durable.

4 hours ago, Bren said:

Estates are much more expensive than the hatch - top spec ones seem to command a premium but many seem overpriced.

Especially given most Mk4 are on their last legs, durable car but everything wears out at some point. Wouldn’t bother with the top spec ones, especially anything ‘enthusiast’ owned you’ll find they want a million quid for it. 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, sierraman said:

Especially given most Mk4 are on their last legs, durable car but everything wears out at some point. Wouldn’t bother with the top spec ones, especially anything ‘enthusiast’ owned you’ll find they want a million quid for it. 

I’ll take £25k for mine. Much less than a million quid 👍😜

• 4 weeks later...