AS Communal MK4&5 Mondeo Thread

warren t claim

18 minutes ago, grogee said:

Bon chance, mon ami. 

I'm quite surprised to hear there's no filter but I've only seen one and that was the one I fixed. 

Fluid and filter was really no harder than doing a normal engine oil and cartridge filter. Filling up involved checking the level at a certain temp which needed Forscan/Foreskin but it wasn't hard. 

Instinct suggests new fluid can't hurt but I'm no expert. I really hope you continue to disprove the rule that 'all Powershifts are shite m9'. 

My instincts are the same.

Box is ok at moment, so can't see how 7L of fresh unicorn piss will make it worse.

But I have been wrong before lol

• 1 month later...

Brimmed the tank on my mk4 recently, approx 70 litres.

Then drove it until the idiot light came on.

It did 1,316 KM,or 818miles to one tank of diesel.

20230822_113311.thumb.jpg.d615b9698d4ce802b2b562e89f89b807.jpg

20230822_113338.thumb.jpg.9f6f68a18ce0d6cf955bbfa03f65b0bd.jpg

It returned 4.5 litres per 100km.

Or 62mpg if you prefer,even allowing for discrepancies,that's impressive from a high(ish) mile 2.0diesel 15 year old estate car.

20230822_113432.thumb.jpg.ee2256a7ac35bff5f54ebfe75b44a502.jpg

20230822_113350.thumb.jpg.a56dcf361144f47e875630db86f15977.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had another sticky caliper on my mk4.

Drivers side front this time🙄

20231024_115726.thumb.jpg.095e3569aa9a064aa2584f296072d99e.jpg

Another used caliper sourced.

One rear caliper was also sticking slightly on the handbrake. 

So did a clean and lube up of that too.

20231024_124639.thumb.jpg.d45c6671adeaa82274ef7aa129b2fb04.jpg

Rear brake nipples are a crusty mess,so it will probably mean replacement calipers on the rear if it needs any further work here.

Test will be soon too,so will see what happens. 

Could this thread be moved back to the modern section please?,as it's a pain to find now.

The mk5 Mondeo is still a modern car.

• 2 weeks later...

Regen question. 2.0tdci auto.

Today the mk4 mondy got its annual run from Somerset to Northumberland.

At about Worcester it dropped to 5th (its a powershite), revs went to 3k and it stayed that way for 20 ish miles).

I figured it was doing a regen.

Then at about Preston, it did it again for another 20ish miles.

Why would it do two regens?

1 hour ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Regen question. 2.0tdci auto.

Today the mk4 mondy got its annual run from Somerset to Northumberland.

At about Worcester it dropped to 5th (its a powershite), revs went to 3k and it stayed that way for 20 ish miles).

I figured it was doing a regen.

Then at about Preston, it did it again for another 20ish miles.

Why would it do two regens?

Impossible to say without plugging it in. See what codes it says and then it’ll give you a closer idea. 

On 13/02/2018 at 10:57, warren t claim said:

I really think that after the black grille Sierra and the black topped bumper MK1 Mondeo these will be what we all want in 2026. 

C1E509E4-0FB8-4C07-AD90-F41F1CCBC4A2.jpeg.7b35e6534d996f495d778eb6bb532a9d.jpeg

Bomb-site dealer trade in. 1-Day left on the MOT. 1.6 Diesel. Misery. This is perfect. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/631143875899104/

• 2 weeks later...

Big up Mondeo Massive. A friend of the family has a 61 plate Galaxy 2.0 pez which one assumes is the same underneath as a mk3/4 Mondeo?

Their clutch is slipping. How much of an arseache is a clutch on one of these? I watched that mentalist who does clutches on drives do one, the video is an hour and a half long and it looks like there's a massive subframe in the way, that one was a diesel though. 

Any advice? I can't see this costing them any less than a grand, which they also can't really afford, but £1000 + the weigh in value of the car doesn't get them into anything better either. 

If it does go to frag, is there anything that's worth keeping off it that still allows them to collect the £389 from removemycar?

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Big up Mondeo Massive. A friend of the family has a 61 plate Galaxy 2.0 pez which one assumes is the same underneath as a mk3/4 Mondeo?

Their clutch is slipping. How much of an arseache is a clutch on one of these? I watched that mentalist who does clutches on drives one, the video is an hour and a half long and it looks like there's a massive subframe in the way, that one was a diesel though. 

Any advice? I can't see this costing them any less than a grand, which they also can't really afford, but £1000 + the weigh in value of the car doesn't get them into anything better either. 

If it does go to frag, is there anything that's worth keeping off it that still allows them to collect the £389 from removemycar?

You are right. Most places will charge approaching a grand for the job.

If its in good nick and they like it, probably worth fixing.

They could strip bits off it, but its a Ball ache and most bits will be hanging around for months / years. Not worth the effort.

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Their clutch is slipping. How much of an arseache is a clutch on one of these? I watched that mentalist who does clutches on drives do one, the video is an hour and a half long and it looks like there's a massive subframe in the way, that one was a diesel though. 

Clutch is a massive PITA on a driveway, it’s a ramp job, nothing particularly complicated just labour intensive and difficult laid on your back in the cold. 

34 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

You are right. Most places will charge approaching a grand for the job.

If its in good nick and they like it, probably worth fixing.

They could strip bits off it, but its a Ball ache and most bits will be hanging around for months / years. Not worth the effort.

Na, £5-600 on that, the DMF will probably be fine. It’s £7-800 on a diesel with a decent LuK DMF, CSC and plate. 

Thanks guys, apparently they've managed to get it booked in somewhere now so it will live on. 

I was never going to volunteer, I still have traumatic memories of the last time I volunteered to do a clutch for someone on a Vectra B which included a golf ball sized lump on my forehead where the subframe hit me, and the final insult of the thing being weighed in anyway a few weeks later because it was pissing fluid out the concentric slave. 

31 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Thanks guys, apparently they've managed to get it booked in somewhere now so it will live on. 

I was never going to volunteer, I still have traumatic memories of the last time I volunteered to do a clutch for someone on a Vectra B which included a golf ball sized lump on my forehead where the subframe hit me, and the final insult of the thing being weighed in anyway a few weeks later because it was pissing fluid out the concentric slave. 

I wouldn’t attempt it on a driveway, it’s unpleasant enough on a ramp. I ended up a while back just after COVID having a clutch and DMF put in a diesel one, the garage were that incompetent I had to help muck in to put it all back together so I can tell you first hand I would not be attempting this on the driveway. 

That guy that does driveway clutches, hats off to him, that sounds like some sort of mechanics punishment for having done something wrong in a previous life. Imagine that in the fucking driving hail knocking driveshafts out all day and lifting gearboxes back in, your trousers piss wet through while gearbox oil trickles gently up your sleeve into the loins of your armpit. 

• 2 weeks later...