The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

It's going to need some love over the next few months, starter isn't great , there's some rot starting on the rear wings behind where the back doors open but the bits where they rot badly like the tailgate are fine, it's also rot free underneath

Steve also said it's had a lot of money spent on it over the years evidenced by the service book , main dealer for the first 5 years then the same garage for the next 7 , a big wad of invoices , it changes gear smoothly, corners like a boat which took me by surprise as I'm not used to body roll that involves door mirrors on the floor

Tried the heated seats , cruise, radio all work, electric steering wheel doesn't work but it's in the right place so I might not bother with that , AC needs re gassing as it struggles to keep the screen clear without it

Seats and door cards came up with 30 minutes work with a wet wipe so I'll see how good I can get them , for the moment I'm only spending money on things it needs, I'm going to resist any beautification

Even though it says 150k on the clock the gearbox has been changed, the turbo looks much newer than the rest of the old engine , new engine has done 90k , suspension airbags and air pump have all been changed and ive got all the good parts off the original engine which ran fine apart from being down on one cylinder

I've spent the evening reading about leather paint so when the weather picks up I'll be giving that a go

I wanted a 4.2 supercharged but having tried to go round a corner I might stick with this one to see how it goes

With regard to the dirty seats, I bought a Merc with cream leather from a kebab shop owner.

I intended to throw the driver's seat away and replace it, it was that bad, then I was told to use Mr Muscle window cleaning fluid, it costs a quid , smells foul and I'm sure it doesn't do any good at all to the leather, but that and a small nylon nail brush brought the Merc seat up like new. I put plenty of leather feed on afterwards and it didn't do it any obvious harm.

Now, Land Rover leather is no where near as tough as Mercedes, I know this from past experience , so might be worth trying a bit you can't see in case it strips the dye .

As for leather repaint kits, I had a Turbo R that had had the seats Re-connolised*, that was basically just painting the leather and after a year or so started wearing off, bear in mind in that year it only did a couple of thousand miles too.

Doing it properly is not technically difficult, but it is very time consuming. Cleaning the old "dye" off first, then feeding the "bare" leather, then colouring it, then feeding it again, then sealing it takes days to do properly, allowing each process to finish or dry off before moving in to the next.

People can't be arsed, hence it rubs off in a few thousand miles.

www.gliptone.com for all the stuff you need.

The annoying thing is the plastic surround on the drivers seat is broken, used ones aren't available because they're all broken so it's £140 for a new one

Then I see this but it's a 450 mile round trip away , I wouldn't need to change the carpet as it's black anyway so just seats, trim, door cards and the dash panel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152834175741?ul_ref=https%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F0%252F0%252F0%253Fmpre%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%25252Fulk%25252Fitm%25252F152834175741%2526rvr_id%253D0&ul_noapp=true

It's really tempting but I'm going to resist

Get in the car and GIB :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-L322-VOUGE-2004-COMPLETE-DRIVER-PASSENGER-AIRBAG-DASH-SENSORS/152834182371?hash=item2395a08ce3:g:x44AAOSw-89ZQnXg

Going to pass, just noticed the back seat looks worse than mine and that steering wheel looks like it's been in the sea so there may be a story, if it was closer I'd go and have a look but I've had enough excitement and disappointment for one month 

Got a range rover for £1000 :)

Got an engine for £200 :)

Engine is fucked :(

Got a new engine :)

It's squirted all the water out :(

Just had a look through the service book

4 main dealer stamps to 07 then Bob Farndon Knutsford after that with most of the invoices, just added them up, none from 2012 but there's a stamp in the book

Gearbox was exchanged for a recon in 2013 at 105,000 miles for £1920

It had a new fuel fired heater pump , whatever that is in 2014

Invoices I have add up to £8255

Good to see this going . I bet your costs are still less than the going rate to buy a functioning one?

I'd say they are

One I get confidence in it I'm sure I'll enjoy driving it , at the moment I'm still at the listening stage , just had to put another litre of water in it but I'm hoping that's it settling down after being emptied

Fuel burning heater independent of the engine, think you can program or remote control for cold mornings.

Thanks , I think this one must've had a few options boxes ticked because it's only a HSE  but seems to have a lot of equipment, it's started though, I'm looking at android head units already

Think all the diesels may have had the heater owing to thermal efficiency, programming was an extra cost option.

If it's like my p38, you should also find a button labelled "PROG" which kicks in both heated screens and turns the heater up to volcanic.

I never needed to de-ice the car.

Thanks , first engine was a bit of a setback , it's all in a wooden crate waiting to go back but he's away until the 27th so I've £200 to come back on that , might spend that on the android head unit as the dead pixels make the dash look scruffy , I don't like the colour of the wood on the dash much but I can live with it

The seats are going to come back, drivers seat hasn't got any splits just the colour worn off on the edge of the seat where you slide in

I'll give it a clean over the next few days and put some better pictures up

Just had a look through the service book

4 main dealer stamps to 07 then Bob Farndon Knutsford after that with most of the invoices, just added them up, none from 2012 but there's a stamp in the book

Gearbox was exchanged for a recon in 2013 at 105,000 miles for £1920

It had a new fuel fired heater pump , whatever that is in 2014

Invoices I have add up to £8255

Is it just me who thinks £8250 in repair bills over 10 years in a Range Rover sounds quite good actually thats only obviously £825 a year, which most cheaper cars could easily do in as well, and youre driving something with a bit of presence, comfort, big and imposing too, if I couldve had a Rangey and knew it was only going to sting me for £800-odd a year in bills i could live with that, not even £70 a month on average. 

Is it just me who thinks £8250 in repair bills over 10 years in a Range Rover sounds quite good actually thats only obviously £825 a year, which most cheaper cars could easily do in as well, and youre driving something with a bit of presence, comfort, big and imposing too, if I couldve had a Rangey and knew it was only going to sting me for £800-odd a year in bills i could live with that, not even £70 a month on average. 

Does that include consumables? If so, that's pretty good and easy to justify in a man-maths sorta way.

Does that include consumables? If so, that's pretty good and easy to justify in a man-maths sorta way.

that's bills from 07-14 but there's none from 2012 just a stamp in the book so 6-7 years , usual stuff though, service tyres, control arms, ball joints, track rod ends etc

first 3 years were probably just a service as it was under warranty, year 4 they fucked him over so he went elsewhere , fast

that's bills from 07-14 but there's none from 2012 just a stamp in the book so 6-7 years , usual stuff though, service tyres, control arms, ball joints, track rod ends etc

first 3 years were probably just a service as it was under warranty, year 4 they fucked him over so he went elsewhere , fast

Id still say thats pretty good for what was such an expensive car, with high maintenance and running costs, known poor reliability and expensive parts. At the end of the day thats a decent compromise as far as trade offs go for driving something as fancy and comfy as a Rangey. 

do you have the mahogany of teak finish?? 

much prefer the later style piano black inserts...but if not get em wrapped in Faux brushed stainless, would match body colour quite well..

https://www.dashkitspecialties.com/land-rover-range-rover-2003-2006-full-interior-dash-kit-65-pcs/