Secret Shitters

UltraWomble

I think US Ventrillioltwat Jeff 'Achmed' Dunham has a pair of AMC Gremlins in his vast fleet, and Mr Regular of RCR wants a Pugrat 206 and his daily is now a mk1 MR2 which replaced Sillicone Sally, his heavily sealed up Honda Fit (Jazz)

I had no idea about Peel's Merc.  Rather unsurprisingly, I am a massive fanboi - lived in Suffolk and an interest in radio meant that I miniworshipped him.  

Very little about it online, apart from a poor dub of a C4 documentary when he went around Germany in it.  Weirdly though, it was LHD.  I'm not overly surprised as he was a bit eccentric, but I did wonder if that was actually HIS car in the documentary or whether it was something sourced for the show.

Either way, I'll watch it properly later on.

He used to mention his Mercedes in his Radio Times column, and generally mentioned the mileage at the same time. At that time, which would maybe be the early 90s, the mileage was about 155k. I find it a little difficult to believe that he clocked up 350k in the ten years or so he had left tbh.

I used to pick my mate up for work,in Buxhall in mid-late 1980's aforesaid Mr Peel used to drop his car off for a service/repair at little workshop adjoined the house i cant recall it being a 190 either, so whacking on 500k miles on a replacement doesnt tie up..

Also i recall he had an UMM

I reckon.

A) It was LHD

2) It was counting in KM (meaning just over 300k)

D) A little creative licence may have been afforded on this story.

There's a very nice guy over on PH in the 'Smoker Barge' thread who has a Merc with 375k on it and still going strong.  

Peely had a 60s Impala but I suspect that was in the 60s.

I’m surprised all these MPs drive old bangers, I’d have thought they’d be knocking about in a Leaf or something. Next you’ll be telling me Siddiq Khan has a Talbot Horizon Diesel.

I’m not. When you get the public threatening to kill you because you bought some book shelves for your notes on expenses, it’s best not to smoke around in a new Roller.

I believe that the Queen has a fleet of Rover 75's tucked away as an investment. She drives a tidy V6 around Balmoral apparently. These cars can only appreciate surely. Ahem.

If only we knew people who might have some of these for sale at bargain prices!

Labour have a lot of form on this, Harriet Harman had a Mk1 Rover 800 well into the 2000s, as did Tessa Jowell. Mandelson had a Mk2 Sterling, which he sold at a pretty heavy loss when it was about 6years old - I remember the newspaper article taking the pee. Blair had a Montego Estate until around the time he got elected - again I remember the (Mirror) article about ‘Blairs Battered Banger’. - it had quite a few dents I believe. The same article mentioned Norma Major turning up to a G7 summit in the early 1990s in a 1984 Montego saloon - which probably wins some kind of Autoshite award.

There was a UKIP or Tory MP/MEP who campaigned during the referendum in a Jaguar XJ covered in leave stickers. It was an early X300 on something like an N plate - proper pub landlord spec. TBF it looked well cared for under all the crap.

I reckon.

A) It was LHD

2) It was counting in KM (meaning just over 300k)

D) A little creative licence may have been afforded on this story.

There's a very nice guy over on PH in the 'Smoker Barge' thread who has a Merc with 375k on it and still going strong.

Found a video of John on YouTube with the Merc. It was a B plate LHD that he had for 20 years. So 500,000km is only a very reasonable 15k miles a year.

Nice evening spent watching my hero.

Good thread this.

Found a video of John on YouTube with the Merc. It was a B plate LHD that he had for 20 years. So 500,000km is only a very reasonable 15k miles a year.

Nice evening spent watching my hero.

Good thread this.

500k miles over 20 years, is 25k per annum.

John Peel lived in Great Finborough in Suffolk, so the commute to Broadcasting House from Peel Acres would be a 185 mile round trip.

Three times a week for 48 weeks a year gives you just over 26k miles.

He probably didn't drive in three times a week, but throw in some festival trips and continental trip once a year and 25k looks easily do-able.