quicksilver

Festival of the Unexceptional, 22 July 2017

Hagerty have just confirmed the date for this year's Festival of the Unexceptional. It's on 22nd July at a new and even posher venue, Stowe House near Buckingham. That's only a couple of miles from me so it'd be rude not to take the Maxi. Anyone else up for it?

I'm actually really tempted to book the Dolomite in for this, it's just whether i can be arsed to get up early to drive over 2 hours to get there before 10am, is it worth it?

Yes.  

100% Yes.

SpottedLaurel was talk abouting coming again this year.  If you liked, we could always do a convoy from mine (which is just over 1/2 way) and we could eat etc?

We could even do a short detour to take in the majesty of the B645.

post-19618-0-76346300-1489658134_thumb.jpg

The bASe caused quite a stir in the car park last year when AngryDicky took it, and it'd be nice to repeat that.

just the thing I didn't want to do when I Brexit'd into Autoshiteland is to stand in a field and show my totally original 17,324.25 mile original classic (which my only contribution to was to steal it off some ol giffer's widow) ..complete with original spare wheel and period tyre pump (or whatever..)     I'm definitely owt

Guest Breadvan72

Stowe is not far from me, and the drive to there from my place is quite scenic and curvy.  I will see if they will let me bring the SD1 and the Dolomite, and if both are going may need to recruit some gullible rube helpful person to drive one of the jalopies.

My parents used to a run a pub close to Stowe, where I sometimes took a turn behind the bar when I was visiting at weekends.  I did not form a high opinion of the Stowe School sixth formers who used to come in for underage pints.  Mucho entitlement, rather poor manners. The geezer/pikey market traders who used to come in for a stayback after Finmere Market on Sundays were more fun.  The school has a rep for being posh and thick. The building and grounds are fab, however.

Guest Breadvan72

Yes.  

100% Yes.

SpottedLaurel was talk abouting coming again this year.  If you liked, we could always do a convoy from mine (which is just over 1/2 way) and we could eat etc?

We could even do a short detour to take in the majesty of the B645.

attachicon.gif9248888551_fd9101f836_o.jpg

The bASe caused quite a stir in the car park last year when AngryDicky took it, and it'd be nice to repeat that.

Gotz to get the Dan/Skizzer/Junkman/me Granada Estate there too if poss. 

Stowe is not far from me, and the drive to there from my place is quite scenic and curvy. I will see if they will let me bring the SD1 and the Dolomite, and if both are going may need to recruit some gullible rube helpful person to drive one of the jalopies.

My parents used to a run a pub close to Stowe, where I sometimes took a turn behind the bar when I was visiting at weekends. I did not form a high opinion of the Stowe School sixth formers who used to come in for underage pints. Mucho entitlement, rather poor manners. The geezer/pikey market traders who used to come in for a stayback after Finmere Market on Sundays were more fun. The school has a rep for being posh and thick. The building and grounds are fab, however.

Well amy is not working that weekend, and I will probably get set on fire and my head kicked in were I to turn up in a modern car...

Gotz to get the Dan/Skizzer/Junkman/me Granada Estate there too if poss. 

If it's anything like last year they have

1) The Arena Cars.  These are concourse, or at least very very presentable.  You need to show photographs on your online entry and they pick who gets in here (about 20-30 cars)

2) The Retro Car Park.  If you arrive in something pre-1990 you'll get put in the chodpark.  This is where the real fun is, and where the bASe was last year.

3) Public Car Park.  Anything monochrome and Audi.

Sounds good to me, I just need to check the domestic calendar but I think it should be OK. Last year was thoroughly excellent (although I did augment my visit with a trip to Silverstone afterwards for some racing my son wanted to see and an overnight stay at Billing for Toyota Club's show). To give me flexibility on what I bring I shall probably not bother with the arena. Front row of the next one did me just fine.

I fear that last year's reportage from various parties got lost in the forum crash. I still haven't put a load of my photos from it onto Flickr yet, but in the meantime:

28507834352_2d78c9df05_c.jpg

1979 Mazda 323 1400 Hatchback Auto by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Several forum members admiring ElectricLeyland's 323. Does he still have it?

28351562560_2a56a51f94_c.jpg

1972 Honda N600 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It seemed like I was stalking the lady owner of this lovely thing. The next day she was at the Toyota show with a 2000GT......

I may go if the weather is decent.  Stow is a bit posh - David Niven went to school there.  I don't know where my bow tie is ..... hang on, I've never had one.  I'll possibly get my '61 Reliant MOT'd before then.

Concours cars are nice to look at but the chod park is more real world and interesting.