Truck Shite

quicksilver

22 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I've never done a survey, but anecdotally I think it must be ERF

I am sure that I see far more old ERF doing work than any other type of truck. Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw a 30+ year old working that was not an ERF

You do also see 1980s Leyland and Mercedes 7500kg models in summer being used privately as horse transporters. Occasionally also Bedford

There's always ERFs coming out of the woodwork. 

The cult following of 143 Scanias must have given them an reasonable survival rate, its certainly harder to find a nice F12 of the same age that isn't an import. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 31/01/2024 at 12:42, horriblemercedes said:

I've never done a survey, but anecdotally I think it must be ERF

I am sure that I see far more old ERF doing work than any other type of truck. Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw a 30+ year old working that was not an ERF

You do also see 1980s Leyland and Mercedes 7500kg models in summer being used privately as horse transporters. Occasionally also Bedford

Got to be ERF with Foden a strong second, simply because the travelling fairground and circus community love those two brands more than any other. They're also very reluctant to throw anything away so there's been loads of old ERFs and Fodens dumped in their yards that have made it into preservation.

Still loads of old 7.5-ton horseboxes about. 1990s Ivecos, Leyland-DAF 45s and MANs are common but I've also seen Mercedes LNs, Ford Cargos and even a couple of AWDs.

• Like 2

that comes back as a 1986 Mercedes T1 410P chassis cab for what its worth (the fine model details on especially older commercial can often come back a bit wobbly) not taxed since 2010 and the last V5 issued for it was 2004 mind so thats curious! just come out of hibernation for some recommissioning ? 

Screenshot2024-02-01at18_34_38.thumb.png.cfae2f90e44592df28435571e6cb50ef.png

9 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Deutz were always big on air cooled diesel and I believe still make them today for agricultural/industrial applications.

I think they stopped making them over 20 years ago due to emissions requirements.

But it is possible that they still make air cooled engines for developing countries, as both Africa and South America, for example, have no requirements for emissions on agricultural machinery. So in those markets machines are sold with older engine technology or with no emission equipment. 

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

that comes back as a 1986 Mercedes T1 410P chassis cab for what its worth (the fine model details on especially older commercial can often come back a bit wobbly) not taxed since 2010 and the last V5 issued for it was 2004 mind so thats curious! just come out of hibernation for some recommissioning ? 

Screenshot2024-02-01at18_34_38.thumb.png.cfae2f90e44592df28435571e6cb50ef.png

I just googled that model and it isn't what it looked like (although it was a white Mercedes, looking immaculate). Maybe I mixed up the registration.

8 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Nope, we are up to stage V in off highway. EU call off-highway regs Stage III/IV/V which are roughly equivalent to Euro 4/5/6. EPA call them Tier 2/3/4, not stages.

https://www.cummins.com/components/aftertreatment/off-highway

I believe that Deutz is talking about marine stage III which is different to inland off-highway.

This site says for engines capable of >2000rpm, it's 2.0g/kWh NOx which is 4 times higher than Euro 3 on-highway.

https://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Environment/Pages/Nitrogen-oxides-(NOx)-–-Regulation-13.aspx

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, jon.k said:

I just googled that model and it isn't what it looked like (although it was a white Mercedes, looking immaculate). Maybe I mixed up the registration.

It probably is an LN as the gross weight is 7.5 tonnes. I've seen a few LNs wrongly recorded as 410Ps, which were 4-tonne vans. In fact the first Google image result for 'Mercedes 410P' is actually a Unimog registered as a 410P.

Just going through my old photos and found this from a couple of years ago at Mr Frenchs Yard. He likes a truck or two.8173cfe8f24f9f0f5eb16cd6022e4338.jpg

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martc said:

image.thumb.png.d32e59ddb5cf26b95c486caa275aaa2f.png

Despatch of finished GAZ-SAZ-3507's at the railway sidings of the Saransky Truck Plant, 1984.

Brings back memories of an album cover, back when albums had covers that is....
Album Review: Aerosmith – Pump – BRUTALLY HONEST ROCK ALBUM REVIEWS

image.thumb.png.b6de655521efd23f38d2d1f972a40fb0.png

image.thumb.png.338d8693d3682e98c9d6237989c60660.png

image.thumb.png.a394204324590b3ac1bba1bf39c31613.png

A Unic MZ transporter about to depart SIMCA's Villaverde factory with a load of 1000's, 1968. I'm sure someone can help with the US ones.

• Like 6