Dollywobbler's Dead Rover 600 - Replacement sorted

dollywobbler

Unless that Subaru is fitted with a sewer pipe exhaust and sounds as though it has a sick engine (as all Imprezas do), I'd be hard pressed to distinguish it amongst the nearly identical competition.

There was a fella on the regius forum who imported his own from them. He had to pay an agent £60.00 at Bristol to get it released, red tape or whatever. He couldn't recommend them enough. Sounds good into Bristol, fit a fog light ? Throw your trade plates on and away you go.

a.jpg

$1790 delivered. Curse Brexit and its effect on the paaaound. That's £1346, plus customs, import tax, first reg fee yadda yadda. I'm liking it though. It's definitely not silver.

• Like 2

I looked at the import route when a Honda Z Turbo made itself known to me.  Sadly the exchange rate plus all the import duty and tax on top of tax means that a £400 car comes out around £2000 which is a bit pricey for something I've never even seen, let alone sat in and tried.

If you want to get yourself a Fiat I'm sure you can still do the journalism thing by driving other cars off here.  My Suzuki Baleno GSR is odd and available to borrow, I'm sure there's others too.

• Like 1

The S-MX looks pretty HOT, I'm just concerned that it's a bit too similar to the LS400 you were on about wanting.

Probably need to get a Daewoo Matiz, or a Harley Davidson or something. 

If you set out to buy a Japanese car and actually buy one, people will get worried.

Having slept on it, the S-MX still seems very appealing this morning. I love the idea of an LS400, but I reckon the size of the thing would soon piss me off no end. The roads here are tiny, and the XM used to often feel too big. I know the S-MX doesn't really have enough cylinders, but it ticks many other boxes. It certainly isn't bland either, and that's what seems to be counting against the J-tin barges. They're magnolia on wheels.

I've lived with an LS430 and I imagine the LS400 to be the very similar.

The LS430 boot took the same amount of crates and tools as my Mk2 V70T5 but was much easier to park. The lock on the V70 was an embarrassment.

I ran that that car in the West End and City and size was never an issue. The reversing camera helped but the big surprise was a turning circle similar to a Black Cab.

Width might be another issue but none of us here would complain about a little extra width.

The smx looks like it would be quite handy as a little Van if you removed the rear of the interior.

I asked amy if she fancied one, she said only if she could have another baby, so we won't be getting one

• Like 7

Why would someone want to import a shittyy Mk1 Zafira with a Subaru badge, unless it had a banzai turbot flat 4 in?

Drat. The orange S-MX in Wales has sold. There is still that black one on Ebay, but it's a hell of a long way away - though still closer than Japan!

Was it from an importer, ask them if they can get another one. 

Why would someone want to import a shittyy Mk1 Zafira with a Subaru badge, unless it had a banzai turbot flat 4 in?

Now I really want to buy some Subaru badges and convince people I have! Father Quicksilver could do it...

Mazda Boingo Friendeeeeeeeee isn't very big, has bed and can come with V6.

A bit joyless though. Back to Passion Wagons?

Ride quality is not going to be much good on any of these though is it? I am obsessed with ride at the moment; the Insight is infuriating on bumpy roads, especially two-up when it can feel dangerous as well as painfull. The old Legacy is a magic carpet in comparison but it isn't in the Ambassador / BX / Renault 20 class.