Dolomite SE all finished... For now!

trigger

Nice work Trigger, that paint work looks fantastic but then you've done some great work in the past, so it's just a bit ordinary and par for the course now ;-)

That dash on the Marina is amazing; the heater panel looks like a massive face-off stereo that's missing its front. Impressive to see that back on the road too, so hopefully the Dolly will be joining it.

Come to think of it, I've missed some updates of this thread before, as the Dolly title reference makes me think of 2CVs and dollywobbler and then I link the two together and sort of lump his Dyane in to the equation and all of a sudden I think I've read the updates, as I'm not expecting to read about Triumph Dolomite content. Does that make any sense at all?! 

A carpeted gear lever gaitor has to be the coolest feature added to a car ever and the Marinas plates really set it off perfectly.

I too like playing with body work and i've found that modern rattle cans now days have more oomph behind them and the nozzles give a good clean spray pattern,even the paint itself seems more forgiving.

So a bit of carefull prep and some G3 can make even my efforts look half tidy.

2015-03-06%2015.50.11_zpsmqzg1tdb.jpg

I had a nasty crack on the front arch of my Scimitar and managed to repair it and blend it really well with a colour matched spray can i got made up locally and you now wouldn't know that it had ever been repaired. (sorry pictures are really poor)

2015-09-01%2019.02.29_zpsgdw2tivc.jpg

Keep up the good work sir,as i do enjoy the threads about real car goings on that get posted up its just a shame they get pushed down the page too soon.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :)

Surprised to see it doesn't have the trivial pursuit warning lights on the dash. I thought my dad's 1500HL had that on the dash but that was over 20 years ago.

Rip SGX37R

This is based on a 1500 rather than a 1500 HL, the difference is that the 1500 has the flat dash shared with the 1300 and the 1500 HL had the curved dash like the 1850 & Sprint.

I've spent most of the day doing the filler work on this, I hate working with filler! Still it doesn't look too bad now it's in primer. A couple of runs to flat out but I've seen worse.

3d27f71ae75b86921ad581897b2ed4c2.jpg

721882e494bdfdeba8feebda77642057.jpg

Those black marks is that Kurust stuff, it's messy crap that I'm still getting used to using.

5836b8c667a6cb4d703a25cc8d508dd9.jpg

3fae6e83a1ed981aefff068c397fe5dd.jpg

0b3f7ba6b23102d553e8b59ac7306db7.jpg

dda73c7cf68d182dd805fc6a2959bc14.jpg

Trig, your rattlecan work is incredible. Any chance you can post up some tips for us mere mortals to follow to get a better finish?

Careful, you'll give me a big head! To be honest just use decent paint and keep moving the can in a steady flow from left to right and you should be fine. If it looks a bit dry when you've finished then a light 2500 grit wet and dry and a quick buzz over with the mop normally sorts it out.

Between waiting for a delivery from Amazon of baby stuff i managed to crack on with this some more today, Flatted back all the primer and prepped it up for paint.

It obviously needs a good polish as I've only just painted it but i have to say the repairs have come out perfect, especially the big dent in the wing which i was worried about. I'll get some better photos in the daylight at some point.

post-3625-0-37634400-1447180823_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-83004300-1447180824_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-79445800-1447180826_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-27386000-1447180828_thumb.jpg

Well done Anglevan! Got any photos of the Anglia and Marina?

Sorry for late reply been away in sunny (yeah rite) Edinburgh with work for a few days.

Anyways pics can be found here

http://autoshite.com/topic/18834-anglevantastic-collection-of-shite-update-3108/

I've kept the Anglia off the system but there is a sneeky picture on there from when I painted it.

In the process of trying to sort the tax out now as it's been off the road 20+ years so need to change to historic tax.

Grand job with the painting on the Dolly - looks ace and a great transformation.

There's only so many times you can write that looks great or well done before you run out of things to say i guess.

And that's why restoration threads drop off the front page, IMHO.  We have a "like" button, and one feels a d!¢k just making a fluff post saying "well done" without any actual content.  (Says the man who just made a fluff post to say so.)

But I am planning to rattle-can my Rover 3500 this summer, so these threads are like gold to me.

I always quite fancied a sprint. I like Dolomites but I recon only a sprint could coax me into ownership. Their solution to 16valves isn't the one in every modern car, which is interesting in itself .

I imagine a rough sprint could be a painful ownership experience mind you.

My garage landlord has one sitting for years and when they tried to tow it away the whole front panel and bumper ripped off.

I always feel conflicted about this sort of work.  There's charm to the down-at-heel chalkboard paint and rust scabs, a thing that's impossible to fake.  Equally, when all* this needed was a good rubbing all over to make it look new again it's hard to imagine why you wouldn't do what you've done and make it look great.

In conclusion:  top work, Trigbot.