Dolomite SE all finished... For now!

trigger

Hmm, any hissing as you depress the brake pedal? If so then that will most likely be the servo. The only real way of checking is to take it off and give it a good shake. If it rattles it's fucked. There is a plastic valve on the front of it. Might be worth getting a new one anyway and seeing if that makes a difference. 

I can't hear any air leaks to be honest Ken, i can't see any fluid leaks either. I've ordered a set of new brake hoses for it today to be on the safe side. I think it could be that Balance valve thing on the bulkhead, that's where the switch for the brake light works off, if you pump the pedal the light flickers too?.

Anyhow as promised, and as I'm a photo whore, here's some more photos HOT OFF DA PRESSSSS.

post-3625-0-04958500-1446732173_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-36704700-1446732178_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-97797400-1446732174_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-26596700-1446732180_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-79709600-1446732176_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-31116000-1446732189_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-23516700-1446732182_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-18706900-1446732184_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-12499700-1446732186_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-80616400-1446732187_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-10535900-1446732205_thumb.jpg

Great work Trig

Regards the brakes (especially with you mentioning the brake light warning) I wonder if the set up is similar to my Mk3 Marina, if so below is taken from a guy on the Marina forum which may be of help. It dosn't link regards the spongy brakes but non the less it may be worth a try>

Those with Mk3 Marinas or presumably Itals too, may have spotted their "PDWA" mounted near the brake master cylinder in the engine bay.
The purpose of the Pressure Differential Warning Actuator is to alert the driver to fluid pressure loss at either end of the car.
The hydraulics are split by the master cylinder to separate front and rear lines, and both lines pass through either end of the PDWA.
Inside the PDWA is a piston which will be displaced if unequal pressure exists, and the piston then operates a warning light on the dashboard.

Here's the issue.
After bleeding the brakes, or experiencing a panic stop where the pedal gets really stomped on, the brakes can start to misbehave due to the piston not being centralised in the PDWA.
In my experience, it can lead to the brakes starting to drag - especially in hot weather. Sometimes they squeal incessantly - sometimes you notice that when you pull up, you stop with a bit of a jerk - as if the brakes are partially on.
Well - they are.
This is because fluid pressure is being trapped in the lines.
The remedy is very simple, but its important to note this, because any time you bleed the brakes, you can end up in the same situation.
The brakes must be bled in a certain order.
Both front and rear on the left side first.
Right side front last.
There is no right side rear, as the left side bleeds both rear cylinders.
If the warning light occasionally flashes - or not, just bleed the right side front. This will centralise the piston.
If the brakes are sticking a bit - do the same.
The difference can be quite remarkable as far as the feel of the brakes goes - not to mention saving a bit more petrol.

I have heard of mechanics throwing away a PDWA because they did not know this. The PDWA can be easily stripped and cleaned - but I am not sure if you can still obtain the seals for them.
I have only ever cleaned and reassembled them with the original parts - but they have worked perfectly and not leaked.

Obviously the braking system is a very safety conscious area, so if you do not feel you have the necessary skills - then you don't.!
However - its worth being aware of this because its highly likely that your chosen mechanic won't be...

Other tips to deal with spongy brakes are

While someone is at the brake cylinder ready to open the bleed valve, pump the pedal until firm - keep the pressure applied then ask the helper to open the valve (using a one way pipe connected) and straight away the pedal will drop to the floor and ask that they nip it up straight away (be quick)

Do this for each wheel - it does work and forces the air out.

Thank you Mr Diesel. That's very helpful Anglevan, mine has got the same set up and after a few comments on the Dolomite forum which are also along the same lines both me and dad think that could be the problem, dad picked up on it yesterday when looking at the car and said it's possibly that as the warning light was connect to it.

Robsport sell a o-ring kit with a new copper washer so I'm going to order one and strip and rebuild the old one and sell what happens.

Good question! My mate hopes to come over Sunday to do the welding so all going well the bodywork should be mostly done by next weekend but my dad is doing a conservatory over the next couple of weekends so it couple be the beginning of December before it's all finished probably.

Then the baby due and I probably won't have time to fart for the next few months!

I've had a right laugh today. Remember that Marina I posted a few months back that had been in a barn since 1987?.

1e223b24459bf6b852983b3011a271cf.jpg

Well my mates have really cracked on with it and have now got a mot on it! As they were coming over to weld the Dolly up for me Cortinaboy on here decided to bring it down from Bury St Edmunds to show me.

I also was lucky enough to take it for a drive too

aa13593825f7508d7b8f65dc0d05ed83.jpg

Bellends...

dd08b942b2f86b6babd709884fe7367e.jpg

The interior is about as basic as it gets with no radio or cigarette lighter.

6315ccda8ec0aa340aa0461786185a59.jpg

I have to say it drives amazingly well. Everything is light and easy but the drum brakes all round and no servo take some getting used too as does the severe understeer on roundabouts! The car had a £50 respray in the early 80s so it now has a certain kind of patina where the paint has come off but I think that adds to it. It also has all its history from new.

344f4fc2b30cac6e9a9d25907ae3a574.jpg

37c47fdc80796299e22240bf5020dfdc.jpg

It added some class to my drive too!

ca7def3cce06b990eeaa8702193ea0bd.jpg

In Dolomite news the valance is now all welded up and looking sweet, it's nice and strong too and only cost me the materials and a divider from my filing cabinet!

9d3af27e1e5a2ed9f955ddd99ecbce60.jpg

b0a6d86cecbec7b6086a1ce165ddf195.jpg

c158d825ba354728201fb3f4df0cb2bc.jpg

716a8b61b6eba76162a012b8977c8ec9.jpg

2d2f001ab8df0c94b584894a9b501de9.jpg

8b94fb6b08a881b8c92ed01d80284dfe.jpg

67c36c0bc2ea133a16ac9acd607148f5.jpg

I think that will keep me busy for a few days!

Not only do you get your dolly much further on than any of my projects but you only go and show off with the Marina !!! I've finally Mot'd my Anglia (an 8 year project) so work will start in earnest on my Marina just so I can keep up with thee.

Great work on the dolly as usual - on the home straight now.

Trigger, daft question but has the fact it is a 'smart' looking specification spurred you along? It looks the nuts in black SE, do you think antelope beige or summat dreary would made your interest in the project stall?

I'm WELJEL of your rotary work with the mop, what are using hard wear and mop-bonnet wise?

That's good question. To be honest the fact it's a rare model has certainly helped my mojo along with it as well as comments on here and Facebook. I find build threads like these help me to get on with it as I like to show off what I've done!

I've wanted a Dolly for years, either a SE, 1850 or Sprint and with all the history I'm chuffed as punch with it and I'm even having thoughts off selling the Cortina!

I'm just using a Silverline mop of Amazon and G3 and Finesse-it polish on 3m mop heads. It soon cuts through the old, dead paintwork.

You know what it's like on here at times, it's just a little disappointing when you post something up you'd expect to be of actual relevance only to get no interest and then bumped down the page by non threads and non shite car content. It makes me wonder what the point of this forum is sometimes?!.

That car looks massive inside! Have you got the front seats pulled all the way forwards for the door open shot earlier in the thread or do you just get loads of rear legroom?

Makes you wonder how my Mk6 or 7 Astra, the approx size of a DAF 3600, is so cramped inside.

Looking bloody sweet though.

Black paint is two ends of the scale - either it looks bloody horrendous, or fantastic. I'd say yours is near as damn it fantastic now; the graft is clearly paying off. As others have said, I'm sure the old chap would be tickled that his old motor is getting some tlc.