What do you do about a rusty sunroof?

laser wheels

It looks like the sunroof on the Sierra has not survived the winter. I've been having a poke about and realised it is not the the rubber but that there is large amounts of rust coming through under the glass and this is what is causing the rubber trim to split. Is there anything that could be done except replacing the whole roof or just taping it up? Are there companies who can repair/restore sunroofs?

This is the problem I had on the XM. Not too difficult to replace the frame - far easier than me and MO made it look the other week! There's usually only a few screws holding the frame and glass in so you can easily remove them from the mechanism. How easy it is to find a replacement I don't know, but a chap on XM Club has had success pulling glass and frame apart (bonded on the XM), then repairing the steel frame before sticking them back together (glass primer and good adhesive essential) for a leak-free interior. In my experience, taping it up worked not very well at all!

Mrs B's 'bubble' Rover had this. (They all did I reckon as good sunroof panels were rocking horse shit). Luckily it looked worse than it was and I was able to remove the rubber seal and clean/de-rust. After filling up a couple of small holes with some chemical-metal shiz and giving the frame a quick lick of hammerite I stuck the seal back on with loads of clear silicone. This lasted a couple of years then the tray rotted out and I had to bodge that with P40.

Might be worth peeling back the seal a bit to see how bad it really is. If the lip that the seal sits on is gone then leave well alone.

The sunroof "  cassette " can be replaced easily as long as the tray it sits in is ok  , the problem will be finding a mk1 Sierra sunroof cassette  early pre 89 mk2's are nearly a direct fit but you will need to drill 2 more holes on the rails to fit it  later mk2's are a bit different again and need more holes but the area on the roof where the winder pokes through is slightly different and makes the sunroof very tight