Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Progress for the Carlton Estate.

Six-cylinder

Yesterday was a Milton Keynes Classic Car club gathering, small and local and under 15 miles away. The weather was dry so I took the Rolls Royce and it drove there perfectly with me starting to get to grips with the gearchanges. After just 3 miles on the way home it started to misfire and I was very concerned if I was going to get home when it got very bad uphill. It misfired, popped and banged when I lifted the throttle and I adjusted the mixture and timing from the steering wheel but it made no difference. 2 miles from home and it was running perfectly again!

It was still a good evening with 32 cars of all different types out last night.

IMG_20230804_191624 broad.jpg

IMG_20230804_184606 broad.jpg

Today was another Care Home display with Milton Keynes Classic Car Club . The problem was it was pouring with rain this morning and I did not fancy taking the Rolls Royce. I ended up taking the Cadillac which was a joy to drive. Six of us turned out but only one resident decided  to come outside to see us. The one lady who did was 97 and started a conversation about vintage Rolls Royces without me saying anything as she has memories' of a family member having one in the late 1930s.

It was decided we will visit again and hope for better weather.

It feels very good doing these displays to entertain the residences along with the staff and getting to play with our classic cars.

IMG_20230805_111806 broad.jpg

IMG_20230805_113120 broad.jpg

IMG_20230805_111752 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 12/13 August all shiters welcome PM me for details.
1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

After just 3 miles on the way home it started to misfire and I was very concerned if I was going to get home when it got very bad uphill. It misfired, popped and banged when I lifted the throttle

Previous owner obviously put a pop & bang remap on the ECU.

all kinds of weird howling /crocodiledundee2 roadworks

im coming in from a5 and it says deanshanger to main road down sixcyls road then round the back

it will let you come from the town but then still takes you down six cyls road

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

What’s up with the road closed signs on google maps? Both ends of the lane and great Horwood?

The A421 road is closed for water mains repair between Great Horwood roundabout and the turn for Singleborough. The various side roads have been a zoo with people trying to take short cuts, so they are being closed and/or signposted as closed to traffic apart for local access.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

The A421 road is closed for water mains repair between Great Horwood roundabout and the turn for Singleborough. The various side roads have been a zoo with people trying to take short cuts, so they are being closed and/or signposted as closed to traffic apart for local access.

its gonna be great when the "big move" is happening as all the out of towners that are getting ferreted down weird side roads are going to they have fallen through a temporal wormhole, with about 45?~, 1930's-1980's cars running around the place LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get @LightBulbFunto set up his most violently bright bulb in the middle of the field atop a mast and let it guide people to the FoD regardless of what random road they accidentally go down.

Sure the generator would love it... 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Get @LightBulbFunto set up his most violently bright bulb in the middle of the field atop a mast and let it guide people to the FoD regardless of what random road they accidentally go down.

Sure the generator would love it... 

haha you joke, but I do genuinely want to bring some of my most powerful lamps to the FoD and light them up at night in the middle of the paddock/field, I can imagine it looking quite cool/surreal, this massively bright light in the middle of an empty large open space, like some really luminous shrine! 

I also have these beasts, but specifically the one in the middle

IMG_1984.thumb.jpg.0c91ef2b4952cb5d387d97005135d075.jpg

which is a 1000w CID lamp, (Compact Source Iodine Daylight), outputting a mighty 85000 lumens in an incredible *8* degree beam (to half intensity), you can literally set fire to things at short range with this bastard :)  

IMG_2173.thumb.JPG.fcb9b77132d8cd04a7d19c41626c0379.JPG

I mean the pictures really dont it just justice, but heres a couple anyhow! 

IMG_2169.thumb.JPG.9a5aec35bbbca99a28ef276ca212ed6b.JPG

I am really quite pleased of this close up picture i managed to take of the arc tube at full power, (even if it meant melting my face to take it) to think theres 1000W in that tiny arc gap!

IMG_2172.thumb.JPG.42058ce1e09070ba65ccc821bfa269bf.JPG

just bonkers! as you can imagine its quite hot running, heres a just after pulling power shot :) 

IMG_2182.thumb.PNG.44276d0737545a21088535621a9be6b2.PNG

I understand that @davidfowler2000has a rather beefy inverter setup so if I can devise some control gear for this beast that does not literally weigh 15Kg then yeah I am totally bringing it to the FoD at some point to send morse code messages to the ISS as it goes overhead! 

(or at least I want to point it out the window here at home and see how far the beam goes!)

and if out-and-out lumen output is what you want, then I have the setup to run *2* of these 2000W Metal halide lamps 

IMG_3807.thumb.JPG.dc93b3bce92db4a28145ebcea9c1697f.JPG

who's combined output would be almost half a million lumens! (400,000-440,000) to give you some perspective, your ordinary 100W lightbulb outputs 1320 lumens...

but you would need a 5000W mains supply, and I dont think the FoD quite has that! but its probably only a matter of time before @Six-cylinder helps himself to some sort of 6 cylinder diesel generator he saw being flogged cheap somewhere :mrgreen:

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

haha you joke, but I do genuinely want to bring some of my most powerful lamps to the FoD and light them up at night in the middle of the paddock/field, I can imagine it looking quite cool/surreal, this massively bright light in the middle of an empty large open space, like some really luminous shrine! 

I also have these beasts, but specifically the one in the middle

IMG_1984.thumb.jpg.0c91ef2b4952cb5d387d97005135d075.jpg

which is a 1000w CID lamp, (Compact Source Iodine Daylight), outputting a mighty 85000 lumens in an incredible *8* degree beam (to half intensity), you can literally set fire to things at short range with this bastard :)  

IMG_2173.thumb.JPG.fcb9b77132d8cd04a7d19c41626c0379.JPG

I mean the pictures really dont it just justice, but heres a couple anyhow! 

IMG_2169.thumb.JPG.9a5aec35bbbca99a28ef276ca212ed6b.JPG

I am really quite pleased of this close up picture i managed to take of the arc tube at full power, (even if it meant melting my face to take it) to think theres 1000W in that tiny arc gap!

IMG_2172.thumb.JPG.42058ce1e09070ba65ccc821bfa269bf.JPG

just bonkers! as you can imagine its quite hot running, heres a just after pulling power shot :) 

IMG_2182.thumb.PNG.44276d0737545a21088535621a9be6b2.PNG

I understand that @davidfowler2000has a rather beefy inverter setup so if I can devise some control gear for this beast that does not literally weigh 15Kg then yeah I am totally bringing it to the FoD at some point to send morse code messages to the ISS as it goes overhead! 

(or at least I want to point it out the window here at home and see how far the beam goes!)

and if out-and-out lumen output is what you want, then I have the setup to run *2* of these 2000W Metal halide lamps 

IMG_3807.thumb.JPG.dc93b3bce92db4a28145ebcea9c1697f.JPG

who's combined output would be almost half a million lumens! (400,000-440,000) to give you some perspective, your ordinary 100W lightbulb outputs 1320 lumens...

but you would need a 5000W mains supply, and I dont think the FoD quite has that! but its probably only a matter of time before @Six-cylinder helps himself to some sort of 6 cylinder diesel generator he saw being flogged cheap somewhere :mrgreen:

Could you wire all of the cars he hopes to have there in series or something safe* sounding like that for a few minutes of illumination? 

• Haha 1

Turned out to be to be quite a good day.

I finished cleaning and painting the Manta air filter box.

I was thinking whether to go to the FoD in the afternoon to put the headlight in Error 404 but was wavering when a non AS friend called to say he wanted to meet me up there so I had to go. That proved useful because in spite of the usual trials and tribulations the 404 now has two working headlights. The only bit is the sidelight/indicator lens needs glueing back together before being refitted.

Then @Andyrewcame to collect his Spitfire and can't help himself being useful. Along with minor stuff he poured oil into the bores of the Herald 1200 Coupe in preparation to get the engine to turn.

@Prince_of_darkness91also came up to say hi and helped with the 404.

IMG_20230806_194053 broad.jpg

IMG_20230806_175137 broad.jpg

IMG_20230806_180553 broad.jpg

IMG_20230806_182236 broad.jpg

13 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I do like that 404 front end.

I like the whole car and was up there this morning and took an indulgent photo.

Does anybody at the weekend fancy giving it a quick rub down and brush painting it with the grey primer to get it looking smarter. I just don't fancy driving it around multi coloured?

IMG_20230807_100649 broad.jpg

This afternoon was a FoD preparation day.

Today was mowing day and @Slowsilvercame over to help. With so many distinguished guests expected at the weekend we made extra effort  and moved 3 trailers, the SJ, and CF to mow under them. Instrestly our field only use Astra van started straight up after months and we used it to pull a trailer. It just did not have enough traction to pull the CF and the Range Rover had to do that.

Please come at the weekend and inspect our grass cutting!

IMG_20230807_141817 broad.jpg

IMG_20230807_160410 broad.jpg

IMG_20230807_175131 broad.jpg

IMG_20230807_175309 broad.jpg

If we have dry weather this weekend the plan is to photograph our collection in the FoD. 

Do come and join us, PM me for details.

Cars to be driven to the FoD for photos

Range Rover TDV6 Vogue blue
Mercedes E320 Coupe blue
Citroen BX GTi red
Fiat Seicento Active Lt blue
BMW 330Ci blue
MG Metro Silver
Citroen Visa 17RD Blue
Cadillac Eldorado Coupe Gold 
Maserati  425 Bi Turbo saloon Blue met
Mercedes 200TE blue