Legal advice regarding neighbour and shite cars.

derskine

Basically I store my cars in my girlfriend's parents garage, and have learned today that their neighbour has reported me for running a business...

The council turned up asking questions today apparently.

The guy is an arse, both something_awful and nisfan have had encounters with him whilst visiting me working on the cars too.

He's taken pictures of all my cars and both of their cars too.

The only reason I can think he's reported me for this is because I broke my 340 for parts because no one wanted to buy it whole.

That's not considered running a business surely though? That was just selling something I owned as a one off.

How can I prove that I'm not running a business, surely it must be evident I'm a car enthusiast?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Since when does one have to prove one's innocence?

If anything needs proving at all, they have to prove that you are running a business.

Yes - they'll investigate and find, errm, nothing?

It's up to them to find the ads for your business on autotrader/gumtree/ebay etc, link them all together using the phone number and/or email address which is always the same. Other ways of running a business are available, these will also be checked out...

It's not for you to prove you're innocent, unless they provide 'evidence' which you then need to refute. :)

He may own an untaxed/uninsured/unsorned Lancia Thema.

It's illegal to have a car uninsured and untaxed without being sorn even if it's on private land isn't it?

Depends...

I think if it has been off the road since before all this modern sorn malarky then it is invisible to bureaucracy

If you check the HMRC webshite it will tell you that if you do something specifically for profit it is considered taxable. So if you buy a car for the sole reason to make money on it, the profit should really be taxable. If you buy a car, drivie around in it for 3 years with no intention of making a profit on it and happen to sell it for more, its not taxable.

However for the HMRC to consider investigating you for running a business you would have to be making a fair bit of cash to make it worth their while so most people who make a little here and there can get away with it as quite frankly nobody cares. Proving that you were doing something with the intention of making money is hard to prove and costly.

WTF its got to do with the police is what bemuses me. They can't do shit.

I will dig around and find the relevant page for you when I have a chance.

*EDIT* Just re-read this, it was the council that popped round, not the police, checking to see if it was being used for business for rates I assume. Ignore me then, soz.

Apparently the guy from the council was satisfied and said he probably won't need to be back again.

They had a chat with the other neighbour who confirmed that he was talking rubbish and it's plainly evident I'm restoring/working on cars not selling them or intending to make profit from them.

I did buy my 340 with hopes of getting it on the road but it was just far too rotten - so much so that no one would have bought it whole.

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully this is the end of this though I await what he'll report me for next.

I was joking about the Thema, not sure it does belong to him and wouldn't want to stoop to his level anyway.

Theres no point reporting them for anything as it will start a tit for tat type situation

Grab him by the throat "in a non violent way " and firmly tell them to keep there nose out

Couldn't agree less. Any sign of aggression will cause more trouble when the police inevitably get involved plus the OP doesn't live there so won't have to take the flack.

Note: the above meaning he might use violence or threats against the people that live there, or find someone who will.

Also whether tit for tat or not, the pain in the arse neighbour has to be 'repaid' somehow, it's his own fault and if he isn't taught a similar lesson he'll go on doing this sort of thing. Plus it'll let him know not to piss about with people or face the same in return.

Fight fire with fire, that's the only way to deal with tits like him.

Show them some recent bank statements?

Sod that! As has been said, it's up to him to prove that you're doing something wrong - and you're not. Why should you let a knob like that see your private financial documents?

The best advice I reckon is simply not to worry about it. He can't get you for this, and the further he takes it the more of a twat he will look.