40+ tonnes of Boatshite - engineshite update 9/5/20

coalnotdole

Our cranes at work are tortured with diesel bug, seemingly because they don't move about enough to agitate the fuel. The crane boys have had to install pumps and filters that draw, filter and return when the crane is parked. The mobile plant I work on with the same fuel has no problems, I've only seen it a couple of times.

Our cranes at work are tortured with diesel bug, seemingly because they don't move about enough to agitate the fuel. The crane boys have had to install pumps and filters that draw, filter and return when the crane is parked. The mobile plant I work on with the same fuel has no problems, I've only seen it a couple of times.

We have experienced the same problems with static standby generators that sit for years doing very few hours. It's made worse by the addition of bio content to the fuel oil. On the larger sets we have installed fuel 'polishing' equipment - basically a circulation pump and water separating micro-filtration.

On my boat I add a special 'biocide' additive, by proportion, to the tank at each fill-up.

Squirrel2

Thanks for the continued interest everybody - I will endeavour to sort out an update soon.

Work has been busy and I lifted the engine out the red rebel around 3 months ago to quickly swap the crank and pistons over a weekend which has dragged on longer than i had imagined possible. what with that and slightly more personal commitments than previously, progress hasn't been as great as i might have wished for on the boat.

What i have achieved since the last update is:

Stainless stern knees for transom fabricated and (half) drilled ready to fit.

Stainless bolts for stern knees and cross beam made up.

Progress made on galley - new gas hob mostly fitted along with various other bits and pieces.

Heads compartment now has a floor, Teak door, and a functioning sea toilet.

Fashion pieces finally bolted to the transom and crossbeam dry fitted.

Aluminium hatch fitted (temporarily) but it proves that my new stainless handles etc work as intended.

Brass handrails fitted to sides of wheelhouse.

Cable racking in engine room re-located to allow for future door through to fore cabin.

I'm sure theres other stuff as well which i'll hopefully remember when i dig through looking for photos.

Thanks for all the comments and taking the time to read this!

Cheers

Dave

• 4 months later...

Toxic antifoul

Gribble Worm

Gaboon

Rubbing Strake

Stanchion

Beamshelf

Breasthooks.

These are just some of the phrases that I shall be applying to various problems inherent in my present and future poverty motoring solutions*.

This thread is just the best.  So much respect to you Sir.  I have even saved it on my desktop toolbar. 

Your boat (look, it's a ship.  Let's face it)  is a beauty.

All the best!

Chris

Hows this one getting along Dave?

Slowly!

Things have been progressing slowly and intermittently but its more a case of slight progress on many things as opposed to having actually finished one particular job. 

I promise I will do a photo update soon but stuff has been getting me down a bit in the last six months resulting in me feeling a bit depressed and using most of my energy just to keep on top of work. Things are heading in the direction I want now so hopefully I'll start to get my mojo back and crack on with stuff again.

Still got a bit of a backlog of jobs for customers i'm trying to get through at the moment so by the time i finish messing about with that stuff and get home i'm ready for bed rather than wanting to spend another few hours playing with my own boat  :-(

I also bought another (much smaller) boat to use as a works launch which has taken longer to get up and running than i had planned (and still needs a lot more work doing!)

I have bought £700 worth of stainless tube and fittings to replace my stove flue, and got the hinges from my old hatches shot blasted ready to fit to the new aluminium ones (which are now primed ready for fitting as well)

As the weather hopefully improves i should be able to get on with stuff a bit more.

Normal service will resume shortly!

Dave

• 4 months later...

Right, time for a long overdue update!.

Just a quick one for now showing some of the progress last year on the fashion pieces and the aluminium hatch project.

The fashion pieces have been bolted in and I've made up the crossbeam which goes between them to stiffen the transom although this hasn't been bolted in as yet...

Fashion pieces installed and Cross beam dry fitted:

tr95.jpg

I modified some handrails which came off the spares boat and fitted them to the wheelhouse (I think these probably started life as a pair of vertical double door handles on a cinema or similar)

Originally the boat would have had a set of straight brass handrails fitted hear rather than the L shape of these but as I had them it seemed silly not to reuse them

Handrails fitted to wheelhouse:

cu1.jpg

Then lots of time got eaten up manufacturing parts for the new aluminium hatches. Other than reusing the original hinges all the other parts will be new and made of stainless

Lugs cut out of stainless bar awaiting shaping in the mill:

cu2.jpg

Ready for welding:

cu3.jpg

Finished handle:

cu4.jpg

I Turned up some punches out of scrap stainless:

cu5.jpg

Finished rubber gaskets to go between hatch and fittings:

cu6.jpg

Bit of scrap bronze shaft turned down in the lathe:

cu7.jpg

cu8.jpg

Finished bronze washers:

cu9.jpg

Completed handle assembly:

cu10.jpg

Fully assembled hatch dry-fitted:

cu11.jpg

Ill try to get some more photo updates done over the next week or so as time permits!

Cheers,

Dave

Yes it’s running in gear. Think that was probably taken just before moving the boat to a more girlfriend friendly pontoon berth rather than alongside a derelict boat at the bottom of a ladder alongside a wall.....

There is a video too including engine room content but it needs rotating 90degrees before I upload it!

Dave

(And no I don’t have an AS sticker!)

Good to see some progress Dave, this is one of the best threads on the forum.

Loving the updates. 

Ended up watching Acorn to Arabella on youtube to get my boat fix inbetween your updates.  I never even knew I liked boats. 

Try Sampson Boat as well, it's in a similar vein

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

Tales from a Shipwright is also compulsive veiwing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClPa3pmqKwApysaYi7B7Nlg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, time for a long overdue update!.

Just a quick one for now showing some of the progress last year on the fashion pieces and the aluminium hatch project.

The fashion pieces have been bolted in and I've made up the crossbeam which goes between them to stiffen the transom although this hasn't been bolted in as yet...

Fashion pieces installed and Cross beam dry fitted:

tr95.jpg

I modified some handrails which came off the spares boat and fitted them to the wheelhouse (I think these probably started life as a pair of vertical double door handles on a cinema or similar)

Originally the boat would have had a set of straight brass handrails fitted hear rather than the L shape of these but as I had them it seemed silly not to reuse them

Ill try to get some more photo updates done over the next week or so as time permits!

Cheers,

Dave

Excellent work Dave. so much to be admired by us mortals ;)

as an aside., I don't suppose you have a surplus-to-requirement pair of those lifeboat fairleads do you ..perhaps from your 'spare' boat.. ?   If so I might be very interested (dependent on their size and price) for my own craft.  I'd sleep a little more peacefully on a gusty night if I knew the anchor line' bridle was unable to jump out of the fairleads.  Likewise., if I ever needed to be towed by the lifeboat good folk.  

Thanks,

Bfg

• 4 months later...

Update time! I'm afraid this is going to be a bit disjointed as thats sort of how things have been!

Galley/interior progress - Cooker is now fitted and the galley units have shelves and doors, final carcass which will take a microwave at the top and some sort of cupboard/tat space underneath is made but still needs final adjustments to fit the gap then make shelves for it.

Heads compartment door is now finished and fitted although i don't have a photo showing it completed.

First of all some photos showing part of the gas installation for the cooker, I had bought a period hob unit to install but eventually decided to use common sense and get a new modern unit with flame failure protection and actual spares availability! Its made in Bolton by leisure products ltd who have been making gas cookers for years (they used to make the neptune range for plastimo)

The plan is to make a fibreglass gas locker which will fit in the corner of the wheelhouse and act as a seat, from there the gas pipe runs through the aft bulkhead of the wheelhouse and into the engine room.

Then along the deckhead and down the cabin side before going through the bulkhead into the forward cabin.

Folded steel brackets:

253.jpg

Hydraulic pipe mounts:

254.jpg

Copper pipe is the gas feed to the cooker:

255.jpg

I'm planning to put a watertight door through the bulkhead where the cables cross on the left so the plan will be to run them up the new cable tray and across the deckhead above the door instead:

256.jpg

Gas valve mounted through some stainless plate:

257.jpg

With an aperture routed out in the bulkhead besides the fridge:

258.jpg

From there the pipe runs underneath the worktops:

259.jpg

To the cooker itself:

260.jpg

Heads compartment door - This was a slightly butchered teak door off the toilet on a boat that was broken up about ten years ago. I had kept it to use the wood for other things but realised with a bit of messing about i could trim it down to suit my toilet.

I ended up disassembling it and replacing one of the sides and the top and bottom as well as adding a machined bead to the sides of the centre panel so it matches my aft cabin doors.

Dissasembled:

261.jpg

Trimmed, replacement side, bottom and top as well as bead routed onto centre panel:

262.jpg

Iroko machined for the doorframe:

263.jpg

Using my patented table-less router table:

264.jpg

Iroke frame glued up to teak facings:

265.jpg

The top of the frame fits around a couple of steel frames:

266.jpg

*Missing photo of end result!*

Galley/microwave unit - built to my usual high quality plans, in fact by the time I came to make it I had several sets of plans which contradicted each other a bit:

267.jpg

And dry assembled:

270.jpg

Glued up:

268.jpg

At the same time I machined up supports for the shelves under the cooker:

269.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Dave