Cresta, an update.

puddlethumper

Don't mean to tread on any toes, but as I'm not sure I can wait until Saturday for pics... puddlethumper, would you mind if I put up the photos from the original eBay listing, for the delectation of those assembled...? I saved them before the ad was withdrawn, just in case I never saw hide nor hair of this rather special vehicle again. But as its now yours, don't feel right just barging on through and slapping them up...

If this is thing of wonder and beauty is likely to be at Shitefest, I may actually be tempted into attending (not that the proposed company wouldn't be enough of a draw, of course).

You can put the originals up if you like. No wurries.

22mpg !! fuck my boots!! 130,000ish miles of 3.9 Range Rover on LPG has averaged 14.1mpg. mind you at 60-70p / litre I dont care

The Aussies know how LPG works better than us, it was running an Edelbrook manifold with a weber or Holley then an Impco gas carb, also only 2wd and aero dynamics of a wardrobe are better than a brick. It would drop to a lot less than that round town or doing stop start though.

Our 4.1 falcons used to do 18mpg (wagon with a basic gas ring setup) and 24/5 (sedan with Impco gas carb). Makes my 18mpg from the 2.0 pinto in the van look woeful.

That's just what I would have done, bought it!

What could be better than a proper '70s style custom with a proper straight six, all iron, pushrod engine?

Bloody well ace!

You want to see my old PC Cresta way back when, lol? Yes it's ridiculous but what do you want for twenty quid? The guy who sold it had had the springs re-arched and then decided to put the axle underneath said springs which resulted in the marvelous stance of the PC. Could see sweet FA in the rear view mirror but it drove okay. Think we broke it, this was the second of two dark green PC's, the first was free but would only start if you baked its plugs in the oven for a while. That one was also broken up and I seem to recall that it donated its front brake assembly to the front axle of the famous Mk2 Consul Henry Hirise. Apologies for the rather crap photos but these were taken many years ago. Anglia and Mk3 Cortinas also from ye olden times.

post-20719-0-52534500-1519934162_thumb.jpg

Feast your eyes on this beauty... can't wait to see some proper pics, but this is a special bit of kit alright.

attachicon.gifCresta Van 1.jpg

attachicon.gifCresta Van 2.jpg

attachicon.gifCresta Van 3.jpg

attachicon.gifCresta Van 4.jpg

attachicon.gifCresta Van 5.jpg

Very well bought, sir!

They may be the best pics you will get. I have a crap camera and I take quite crap pics.

I'll pop round for a lick tomorrow with my crap camera. 

Might get a battery and listen to it as well. Mmmmm.

The fourth pic down shows a bit of the stuff that is in it, like ORIGINAL steering wheel.

The back is full of shite but I can't get the back door open, which is FIBREGLASS. Alright, plastic.

I'll report back tomorrow.

I shall start a Cresta van club and be president and only member.

You want to see my old PC Cresta way back when, lol? Yes it's ridiculous but what do you want for twenty quid? The guy who sold it had had the springs re-arched and then decided to put the axle underneath said springs which resulted in the marvelous stance of the PC. Could see sweet FA in the rear view mirror but it drove okay. Think we broke it, this was the second of two dark green PC's, the first was free but would only start if you baked its plugs in the oven for a while. That one was also broken up and I seem to recall that it donated its front brake assembly to the front axle of the famous Mk2 Consul Henry Hirise. Apologies for the rather crap photos but these were taken many years ago. Anglia and Mk3 Cortinas also from ye olden times.

attachicon.gifjoyous Cresta.jpg

If the Cresta was in the 70's, the style is just like the Ventora I had back then. 

Arse up and keep on cruising.

attachicon.gif_20180301_215422.JPG

Found this extra picture of the car on line. Its gonna look really sweet after bit more tlc!!

I mean, I think it's fucking fabulous and half of me doesn't believe it's mine.

Tomorrow its a quick lick, battery and chuck it in for an MoT, coz my spannerman does them.

I know in May I won't need one but I can't wait that long.

Been down to fling a battery on and a quick fire up. Minigasm ! Too bloody cold to do anything else.

Took some pics but I think the best shot is the one Braddon81 put up.

It needs a windscreen rubber if, erm, you know, anyone happens to

have one lying around. No ? I iz disapoint.

Hey Alibabamasealife, its all metal apart from the plastic back door.

In Braddons pic you can see a line across the roof where its been welded.

Morrisital, I can assure you the steering wheel will be getting fired into the distance. Awful thing!

And I have basked in its magnificence. Dribble dribble !!

Bourne, I'm going to truck it as it is and maybe think of paint or clear coat later.

. . . its all metal apart from the plastic back door.

In Braddons pic you can see a line across the roof where its been welded.

Great to see this van being taken on by someone on here, well done. :-)

Could it be possible that all the estates were welded at the roof like this? Then maybe lead-loaded? Rather than having a full one-piece roof-pressing.

I don't know estate production numbers but think a PC estate would have been a low-volume seller. Maybe they just got the grinder out and got on with it. "Luxury" vinyl roof "fitted free" on the more noticeable examples, blah, blah, blah.

Just a guess ATM but a good excuse for some interesting research.

Linky to the fabtastic Vauxpedia site for those who still don't know it exists -

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-pc-98000---cresta-viscount

And one to the Vauxhall PC brochures, road tests, etc,

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/vauxhall-pc-98000---cresta-viscount-brochures-advertising-road-tests

Couple of rear view comparison pics of a 68 Vauxhall PC estate.

(Also compare with the Holden Premier HR wagon pic which I posted on page 1. Despite the cars being close-cousins the Holden HR wagon rear lines are quite different).

ucR7uCg.jpg

wnRtGVI.jpg

And one to compare with the HB Viva estate rear which has similar lines.

8zJjSbY.jpg

And a study of the rear curves of a 71 Holden from my files.

GIQNjNa.jpg

oops, wrong pic