Cresta, an update.

puddlethumper

Morrisital, I can assure you the steering wheel will be getting fired into the distance. Awful thing!

And I have basked in its magnificence. Dribble dribble !!

Make sure that steering wheel lands in Accrington then! 

"Could it be possible that all the estates were welded at the roof like this? Then maybe lead-loaded? Rather than having a full one-piece roof-pressing. I don't know estate production numbers but think a PC estate would have been a low-volume seller. Maybe they just got the grinder out and got on with it? "

Looking at some of these photos from Washington restorations website of a PC estate, you can see that the back end was very much additional section added on to the back end.

post-20412-0-60662500-1520010763_thumb.jpgpost-20412-0-20427200-1520010781_thumb.jpg

Even though this apparently started out as a Saloon its back section has obviously been salvaged from a genuine car. Looking at how they have continued the line of the guttering to flow continously front to rear as apposed to it stepping on the genuine estate, plus the pressing line in the van rear panel, it's had some very involved and talented metalwork to get to where it is now.post-20412-0-49918400-1520011337_thumb.jpg

This from a past auction catalogue; a Martin Walter estate conversion. Tailgate looks like fibreglass - no surprise as Martin Walter used fibreglass a lot. Could be your tailgate is from one of these?

post-17481-0-97434300-1520012294_thumb.jpeg

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-motoring/general-information/classic-vintage-past-results/leominster-past-results-27th-september/

This from a past auction catalogue; a Martin Walter estate conversion. Tailgate looks like fibreglass - no surprise as Martin Walter used fibreglass a lot. Could be your tailgate is from one of these?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-motoring/general-information/classic-vintage-past-results/leominster-past-results-27th-september/

Well found. I was wondering where the plastic back door came from. 

Initial thought was an owner moulded it, but thanks to A/S and Asimo in particular its another school day.

I ham a froma Barthelona, but hi learna.

Even though this apparently started out as a Saloon its back section has obviously been salvaged from a genuine car. Looking at how they have continued the line of the guttering to flow continously front to rear as apposed to it stepping on the genuine estate, plus the pressing line in the van rear panel, it's had some very involved and talented metalwork to get to where it is now.attachicon.gif_20180302_172126.JPG

Exactly what I was thinking....Given how these things can rot I presume the only part remaining of a Martin Walter car has been grafted on here. 

"Could it be possible that all the estates were welded at the roof like this? Then maybe lead-loaded? Rather than having a full one-piece roof-pressing. I don't know estate production numbers but think a PC estate would have been a low-volume seller. Maybe they just got the grinder out and got on with it? "

Looking at some of these photos from Washington restorations website of a PC estate, you can see that the back end was very much additional section added on to the back end.

attachicon.gifpc140686.jpgattachicon.gif_20180302_170840.JPG

Even though this apparently started out as a Saloon its back section has obviously been salvaged from a genuine car. Looking at how they have continued the line of the guttering to flow continously front to rear as apposed to it stepping on the genuine estate, plus the pressing line in the van rear panel, it's had some very involved and talented metalwork to get to where it is now.attachicon.gif_20180302_172126.JPG

The panels on the side were what intrigued me, as they look as though a lot of work went into forming them.

The roof wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate, but the formed side panels took serious work from someone who knew what they were doing.

Salvaged from a genuine car ? The panels, obviously not. The roof ? Maybe from an Estate ? Dunno.

I can't find the production numbers for Cresta PC's but it was only in the low thousands and it only ran for about 5 years.

I stand to be corrected on any fake news I publish as far as specifics are concerned. Your average get out clause.

Basically my only experience with this, was a Ventora with the same engine. So I'm on a rather nice learning curve.

Any info or opinions will be put forward to the President of the newly formed Cresta van club, who being a benign dictator 

will seriously in-consider them in a typically benign manner.

Yours benignly

The Prezzy

Wuvvum, I am in agreement about price.

I think its possible, that as it was a traveller site, it put people off. To my advantage, I think.

I lived on a traveller site near Sevenoaks for 3/4 months back in the 80's and settled travellers are not the same as those on the road and there is always a sort of top bloke of the site that you have to chat with  and the boss guy with this wagon was great. No fuckin about.

I don't reckon, mentions of ex Hotrodder by the seller, and hursts need glass so you can appreciate the wood.

Of the coffin. 

I dunno to be honest.

What's with the "hurst" I had the same thought that it might of been a hearse conversion but most Uk coachbuilders stretch them. They do normally build them on a saloon shell. Might be worth asking the hearse register if they know of any coachbuilders that converted Vauxhalls back in the day.