The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

5 hours ago, martc said:

^^^^^^ Shame about the so called 'silencer' though; it detracts from the glory of it and I bet it doesn't make the rider any friends.

Looks like a period correct Alpha system. Had one on my GS850 Suzuki. It was fairly loud, but not the loudest at the time. On the plus side, there wasn't much of it to polish.

13 hours ago, MrDuke said:

Is the theory test that big a deal if you revise for it properly? I wasn't going to book my DAS until I'd done it, just in case I failed, but the possibility of further lockdowns has made my feet a bit itchy. I'm tempted to book the earliest possible post-test slot anyway, just in case stuff gets shut down again and I have to wait umpteen months to do it.

Its not too bad really, there are plenty of practice tests online to get used to the questions. Worth doing a couple of different ones so you see a good spread of questions. After that its just getting the timing right on the hazard perception part, which again you can practice online.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:06 AM, AlsoMike said:

Its not too bad really, there are plenty of practice tests online to get used to the questions. Worth doing a couple of different ones so you see a good spread of questions. After that its just getting the timing right on the hazard perception part, which again you can practice online.

I'd second this, I took out a copy of the book with all the questions in from the old town library. But in reality I'd have passed whatever just not at 100% as anyone who has a driving licence should do.

For every question about braking distances there are ten asking if you should flash your lights to get slow people out of the fast lane or what does a red triangle mean etc... So given the amount you can get wrong just a little swot up will sail you through that bit.

I'm old so hadn't done the hazard perception for my car licence. That's well worth practicing online or on an app just to get you used to the mechanics of the video game which is all it is.

Double check this but, but certainly a couple of years ago when I did mine, they only counted the first click after the hazard. So the tip was to click when you see the hazard then again a second later to make sure you registered you'd seen it if you happened to jump the gun if that makes sense.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, blackboilersuit said:

They don't make them like this anymore. Dragged my GPz1100 out of the lockup yesterday and brought it back to the house. 1980's fuel injection might be somewhat crude but it sure is a lot better than carbs. Two year old stale fuel in the tank but with a fresh battery she fired straight up first press of the button. No MOT or tax so it was just a quick run up the road to home. Now stuck in limbo slightly. It's going to be rebuilt into a different frame (freshly powder coated with v5) as the current one has damage to the lower frame rails. I can't tear it apart because I've applied to keep the plate of the bike as it stands (because nostalgia) but that process could be subject to inspection so I need to keep it in one piece until Dvla process that application.

DSC_9563.thumb.JPG.044d0c481baedb0d1cb1c83a7237650d.JPG

Next year when it's back on the road then I'll probably dispose of my ZZR1100 as the GPz has so much more character and there's no room at the inn for two aging Kawasaki sportsbikes.

That is fit.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:37 PM, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

All no docs so not sure what can be done apart from fun on private estates

NOVA is not the problem it once was, in fact the last two I did were a piece of piss. I'd be willing to bet that the NACC could issue dating certificates for the majoritiy of those little beauties (£20 a pop). Throw in £55 for the DVLA and you're on the road.

13 hours ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

May need to make some room at the inn, as there is a Moto Guzzi V85 TT in the pipeline......

Did I mention I got a new V7 III a couple of months ago? I can't explain how flippin' ace it is. I've had Guzzi's on and off for literally decades but the last one (a Spada III) was in the 90's. Riding the V7 felt so familiar and yet so different as the gearbox is so much better than in the days of yore. The V85TT''s are brill' and so much more characterful than the boring, ubiquitous, over bloated, 'orriblle BMW's and slightly anonymous Africa Twins.

Our investments in Mandello Tractors has helped to contribute to the following good news -

'July saw a major surge in sales and registrations of powered-two-wheelers of all kinds, as new statistics released by the Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) show.  Every possible category of motorcycle, moped or scooter saw double-digit growth or better last month, with total sales and registrations for motorcycles up by a remarkable 42% year-on-year. Trail/endurance bikes and adventure sport bikes were particular success stories, with 62.7% and 47.6% year-on-year growth respectively.  Meanwhile, scooters did even better and this category saw a spectacular 56.6% surge in year-on-year growth. The MCIA also noted that training schools have been “reporting record levels of first-time riders taking their CBT training”, so industry observers believe that a reluctance to use public transport during the COVID-19 pandemic is seeing many people switching to two-wheels instead.'

see https://www.bmf.co.uk/news/show/bikes-sales-see-huge-july-surge

Has anyone ever done the 'National Road Rally' I've done similar on a pushbike which were fun, it seems like a good excuse to plan a random route and have a date to make sure I go for a ride when the diary is clear of any events that I'd usually use an excuse. I'd only do one of the shorter options, for a general bimble.

was in september?

theres a kiwi version and was looking at it hoping it was in november when i was planning on going

its the end of feb 21 - when im now hoping on going

but i decided id rather do 2-3k without a need to be putting the miles in to be somewhere at a certain time

not a rally but i do this - have done for quite a long time now

www.irishphotorally.ie

have done it in as little as a week (spread over a few months)

or have taken the full time - with a week to spare to put entry in :D

did a smol version few weeks ago and 1800 kms in two days

The UK one is September, the mileage in normal years is between 120 - 600 I think so not quite on that scale, I did it I'd be looking at the 200 miles in 10 hours pootler version, more than that for me would be a nice day out just to see what different roads I'd end up down. More than that especially with time restraints just sounds like a grind. 

1800km in 2 days, isn't that Iron Butt style? 

First things first the VFR needs to behave itself for its MOT on Wednesday, hopefully it won't catch Covid from the Luton testing centre ?

1 hour ago, LostnotFound said:

the mileage in normal years is between 120 - 600 I think so not quite on that scale, I did it I'd be looking at the 200 miles in 10 hours pootler version

1800km in 2 days, isn't that Iron Butt style? 

First things first the VFR needs to behave itself for its MOT on Wednesday, hopefully it won't catch Covid from the Luton testing centre ?

here to the boat for ireland is 120 miles :P

how many visit to a cafe is 200 miles in 10 hours :D

can get to germany in that

1800 km is normal wasnt that bad although not done a trip on the new honda so not used to the seat - never been interested in iron butt as i go further for more interesting stuff

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/524821-Irish-Photo-Rally-2020

i start on page 4

PDI on the V85 on Monday, so I should be able to collect it early next week. Beyond excited.

Did I mention I won it I had read all the reviews when it came out and loved the look of it but could never justify spending that much on a bike, other priorities and I've enough monthly commitments without financing a toy.....

So when I seen BOTB selling tickets to win one I had to grab a few, just for a laugh.....and only bloody won the thing!

I'll probably be selling the firestorm - if I didn't have a credit card to clear I would probably keep it too but it's a lovely problem to have!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sold my RG250 today to a decent bloke from Bexhill.

The ZX10R goes on Monday.

Slimming down the fleet is bittersweet, but good overall, as i hated having to choose on Sundays.

Will end up with just the NC700X, hopefully a brand new GSX-S1000 (negotiating with dealer atm) and the XJ600 long term project.

1 hour ago, pilninggas said:

Sold my RG250 today to a decent bloke from Bexhill.

The ZX10R goes on Monday.

Slimming down the fleet is bittersweet, but good overall, as i hated having to choose on Sundays.

Will end up with just the NC700X, hopefully a brand new GSX-S1000 (negotiating with dealer atm) and the XJ600 long term project.

I'd negotiate very hard with the suzuki dealer as they are struggling to shift them, have you tried the CB1000R+? or the Z900? I've been test riding a few and found the suzuki a bit meh to be honest in comparison with the other manufacturers bikes.

Started up my RE Himalayan today for the first time since December. We've been stuck in different countries since then due to Covid and travel restrictions.

Battery dead. Jaber jump pack attached and she fires third turn. Rode from the family house the 20 miles to my new gaff. I forgot what a great bike it is.

Battery holding its charge (seems to be one of the few weak points) and the compass worked from the off.

Forgot to take any photos-should give it a proper wash first, as its never had one.

2 hours ago, Jazoli said:

I'd negotiate very hard with the suzuki dealer as they are struggling to shift them, have you tried the CB1000R+? or the Z900? I've been test riding a few and found the suzuki a bit meh to be honest in comparison with the other manufacturers bikes.

Im aiming at £8000 for a pre reg, which seems like decent value.

Want the GSX, as it is the comfortable fit for me.

Good points though.

I'm finally starting to get to grips with my Speed Triple.

First off, I found the bike very ponderous and slow turning, which I initially put down to the 190 rear tyre. Having inadvertently bottomed out the rear suspension driving up a trackway last week I thought I better check the rear shock, which on my bike is one of those posh ones with a remote reservoir. Sure enough the setting was as soft as it could be, not surprisingly as the previous owner was rather smaller and lighter than me. A quick turn of the screw made the bike instantly nicer to ride and easier to lean.

I also adjusted the clutch which was dragging slightly making gear changing a bit obstructed, the change action is now slick and much lighter.

Also there is room for a multipack of Pickled Onion Monster Munch in the underseat storage, which came in handy when I misjudged how shoppage would fit in my rucksack yesterday evening.

WANT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133488331463?ul_noapp=true

s-l1600.jpg

theres a cb160 on there too but i dont think im ready to spend that much on a plaything yet

i asked blue honda man a question - whats the distance from the handlebar to the ground - to see if it would fit in a berlingo type van instead of a transit (i am NOT riding it back from whitby)

his answer

'i dont have a tape measure'

WTF

i dont do diy but i have 3 ffs