The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Took my bike on a 40 mile trip to my local tesco ? she's not modern and not fast but she is just perfect for me to potter about on and get away from it all for a while.  But is it me or do motorcyclists not acknowledge each other anymore, or is it because I haven't got the latest sportsbike/adventure bike? 

IMG_20200711_120738.jpg

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

Took my bike on a 40 mile trip to my local tesco ? she's not modern and not fast but she is just perfect for me to potter about on and get away from it all for a while.  But is it me or do motorcyclists not acknowledge each other anymore, or is it because I haven't got the latest sportsbike/adventure bike? 

You've probably got a higher than average concentration of BMW GS riders in your area.

Took my bike on a 40 mile trip to my local tesco she's not modern and not fast but she is just perfect for me to potter about on and get away from it all for a while.  But is it me or do motorcyclists not acknowledge each other anymore, or is it because I haven't got the latest sportsbike/adventure bike? 
IMG_20200711_120738.thumb.jpg.10b71ff5254a878e37faf519ebada827.jpg
I nod to everyone, even scooterists. If you are on a powered two wheeler that's good enough for me.

Motorcycling has got very lifestyle focused, and that's great it it keeps people interested but for me it's less about the bike and the gear, it's the journey and the people you share it with. I've had some of my most memorable rides on stuff like my old shagged CG125

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

I nod to everyone, even scooterists. If you are on a powered two wheeler that's good enough for me.

Motorcycling has got very lifestyle focused, and that's great it it keeps people interested but for me it's less about the bike and the gear, it's the journey and the people you share it with. I've had some of my most memorable rides on stuff like my old shagged CG125

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I agree 100%

Anyone after a cheapo jacket?

Size 'L' but actually 46-48", sleeves 19" a-c. Back, shoulder and elbow armour, and removable quilted lining. Very limited adjustment to waist and  sleeves, and air-vents below shoulders.

£25 posted?

20200711_204113.jpg

On 7/11/2020 at 5:07 PM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

As soon as you get over the channel into Europe, 99% of bike riders will acknowledge other bike riders with their left hand. 

No matter if you are on a 125cc, it's been my experience that riders of Sportsbikes, Customs and Harleys will show you the "two fingers". Don't bother with scooters though, as most don't respond.

I forgot myself and gave the bikers nod to another biker the other day (which was reciprocated). Funny thing was, I was riding my pushbike at the time, the other person was an older lady riding a rather cool 80s Japanese motorcycle.

I quite like the older generations of biker, I have a lot of chats with older blokes when they see me on my Triumph, reminiscing about the old Speed Twin they owned in the 50s or the Bonneville they had in the 60s or 70s. There quite a few older bike riders in my village, one has a lovely new model Royal Enfield Cafe Racer, some others have actual old bikes BSAs or something. One bloke has an immaculate Brough Superior (amongst others) that is probably worth a fortune.  

End of an era - part the first.....

My old honda dominator is now off to a new home.

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.c1ed85ce1d265ac1c3d519650a1e9ed4.JPG

Owned for nearly a decade its been broken, repaired and modified more than I care to remember. I rode it to Spain four times and met many great friends while riding places on it. Truth be told though nostalgia can be a cruel mistress and I kept it even though I had no use for it or desire to ride it for far to many years. Not ridden in anger for five years and not moved from the council lockup I rented to "temporarily" store it and some "useful" bits and pieces for the last three years. 

Reality set in during lockdown with the realisation that I'd spent more storing it in three years than it was worth. Financially I'd have been better off if I'd thrown it in a skip 3 years ago! It's now been sold to a colleague of a friend (for a mates rate price) and he intends just to ride it as is and perhaps tidy it up a bit. Sure I could have made more punting it on ebay but then some hipster would have bought it and turned it into a dreadful "tracker" or some such abomonation. I'm quite happy it's gone to somebody who'll enjoy it. 

13 minutes ago, blackboilersuit said:

End of an era - part the first.....

My old honda dominator is now off to a new home.

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.c1ed85ce1d265ac1c3d519650a1e9ed4.JPG

Owned for nearly a decade its been broken, repaired and modified more than I care to remember. I rode it to Spain four times and met many great friends while riding places on it. Truth be told though nostalgia can be a cruel mistress and I kept it even though I had no use for it or desire to ride it for far to many years. Not ridden in anger for five years and not moved from the council lockup I rented to "temporarily" store it and some "useful" bits and pieces for the last three years. 

Reality set in during lockdown with the realisation that I'd spent more storing it in three years than it was worth. Financially I'd have been better off if I'd thrown it in a skip 3 years ago! It's now been sold to a colleague of a friend (for a mates rate price) and he intends just to ride it as is and perhaps tidy it up a bit. Sure I could have made more punting it on ebay but then some hipster would have bought it and turned it into a dreadful "tracker" or some such abomonation. I'm quite happy it's gone to somebody who'll enjoy it. 

Nice bike the Dominator, always fancied trying a big single, never got the chance. Now as you say they fetch stupid money on Ebay . I hope it lives on.

End of an era, part the second....

My Cotton EMX motocross bike.

received_346032192994189.thumb.jpeg.d1b51a6fff6ed18f2f7896d1e4eb2aff.jpeg

Bought in 2014 after it had sat in a farmyard with the engine full of water for nearly 10 years.

SP_A0059.jpg.3e62105aa133017608263c74b41f7c23.jpg

I'd bought it with every intention to race it in the twinshock class but a broken leg from a trail riding tumble in 2016 made me have a bit of a rethink as to the sanity of that idea. I finished the build last year and it had sat in the shed since then. It sold to someone from the Cotton facebook group and it's been the easiest sale I've ever made of anything! The ad was put up at midday and by 1 oclock someone had agreed to pay the asking price. We talked on the phone at 3 and by 3:30 the money was in my bank. He organised a courier and by 4:30 the courier had called me to organise uplift.

The buyer is a racer from Dorset who races an EMX 360 and wanted a 125 so his 21 year old son could join him in a vintage "works team".

He's not short of a bob or two and would probably have paid double my asking price for the bike in as found condition such is it's rarity and his desire to get one. That said I have a sentimental connection to the bike as the guy I bought it from was somebody I'd known and bought bikes from for almost 30 years who sadly passed away last year. Knowing that the bike is actually going to be raced and not locked away in a collection means a lot and I'd probably have handed it over gratis if it meant a guarantee of making that happen. I guess that means the price was spot on for all concerned. Certainly feals like a lot of good karma going on ?

I went to Clacton-on-sea.

I went to the pirate radio museum (presently closed) near the pier (where I used to work).

Me and some quiet ole bloke, who was the "receptionist",   had a long conversation.

He eventually showed me some pics of his racing in the US of A.

Some bloke helping him with a spanner looked like some bloke on a Triumph before he jumped over a fence and it wasn't Bob Akins.

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

Nice bike the Dominator, always fancied trying a big single, never got the chance. Now as you say they fetch stupid money on Ebay . I hope it lives on.

It will certainly live on. New owner is enjoying riding it as is and intends to keep it for a long time. 

1 hour ago, castros_bro said:

I went to Clacton-on-sea.

I went to the pirate radio museum (presently closed) near the pier (where I used to work).

Me and some quiet ole bloke, who was the "receptionist",   had a long conversation.

He eventually showed me some pics of his racing in the US of A.

Some bloke helping him with a spanner looked like some bloke on a Triumph before he jumped over a fence and it wasn't Bob Akins.

Grass roots motorsport is fantastic, absolutely no celebrity at all. Just great people racing and helping each other. I remember back in 2001 being at a hare and hounds enduro that my mate was racing in. Colin and Alistair McRae were also racing in the event and they were just the same as everyone else, just local lads out racing their bikes on a Sunday. They helped other folks in the paddock as other folks helped them and good banter was had to and fro. Both of them were handy as fuck on a dirt bike as I recall.

19 minutes ago, AlsoMike said:

And i passed! *huuuge sigh of relief*

Absolutely awesome news, let the shopping begin!

53 minutes ago, andy18s said:

Nnnnnn.....

Must resist....

Screenshot_20200715-174227_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200715-173542_Facebook.jpg

Early blades are worth good coin now, that could be a billy bargain if it all checks out as legit.

16 hours ago, blackboilersuit said:

My old honda dominator ...

How did Honda get away with calling it a Dominator?

Norton didn't exist in 1988 (when the Honda was introduced) but someone would have owned the rights to the names associated with it, or did they?...

I find it difficult to believe that no-one at Honda was aware of the original Dominator, nor the owner of the name was ignorant of it's use by them. So was the name licenced to Honda? If so the owner was clearly not bothered that the Honda was  not a sportster like the original.

Norton 1964 Dominator 88 and 650 SS

Coming soon the Kawasaki Wisp (1300cc four with supercharger) and the Suzuki Tina (a fully dressed rival to the Goldwing).

3 hours ago, yellowperil said:

I have been unlearning how to ride a motorbike this week.

and learning how to ride this...

IMG_20200713_194951.jpg

Thats er...interesting, I really don't get them to be honest as they have all the disadvantages of a car but you still get wet but what is it like to ride? 

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Thats er...interesting, I really don't get them to be honest as they have all the disadvantages of a car but you still get wet but what is it like to ride? 

I suppose a sidecar doesn't really make much sense on paper and I couldn't begin to explain why I have wanted one for decades, but then I wouldn't be able to explain why I grew up wanting a motorbike more than anything either, but I did.

I have ridden through enough winters to know how to stay dry, anyway I have another bike and a car, so this is a recreation vehicle and they don't have to make sense

Having been taken for a spirited ride in it by the previous owner, I know what sort of performance and handling it is capable of.

I am still learning to ride it, it is a difficult journey, but once I master it, I should be able to carry a decent tent, booze and camping equipment when I go to bike rallies.

And my little un loved her very slow ride home from school today.

received_284272192809117.jpeg

13 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Just when I thought I'd got my stable stable, so to speak... I had a trip to my friendly MOT station, only to find them selling this for a customer:

1020203180_pacificcoast.thumb.jpg.c73977864831d1727d876088bf106012.jpg

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Really? its a motorised bidet, I'm glad someone likes it :lol: its a very American bike.

3 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

So have you bought it then? Its a bit of a curio, I think I've only ever seen one in the flesh.

Not yet! It might only be a matter of time though... I saw one years ago in NZ and loved it (remember the other things I ride for reference, DN-01, Honda Helix etc.)

Just now, strangeangel said:

Not yet! It might only be a matter of time though... I saw one years ago in NZ and loved it (remember the other things I ride for reference, DN-01, Honda Helix etc.)

It is very American, just like the Goldwing and Honda Rune, its name is a bit of a giveaway, I imagine finding spares for them could be an issue if one was to drop it, although it looks like it has the built in crash sticky out bits (for the Americans :D )