The dash at night

dollywobbler

On 11/23/2021 at 1:27 AM, Zelandeth said:

They really didn't change that dash design for years did they...

I think Mercedes hit “peak dashboard“ from the early 80s to around 2000. Brilliantly clear, stylish and instantly recognisable. Materials used felt like they would last forever, well until you used the horribly cheap rheostat on the W124 at any rate. I had a W202 followed by a W203 as company cars back in the day. The W202 still had that heavyweight, slightly old fashioned, built from gurders feel about the dash. The W203 dash looked far more modern and had all the gadgets, but always reminded me vaguely of a Vauxhall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PhilA said:

20211221_203033.thumb.jpg.8e8fe346e483d7e70b7efbbe6c903f10.jpg

Far too many buttons, dials, screens. That's dialed down as dim as it goes, too.

Steering wheel/badge/gauges doing the standard modern "cheerful rabbit" face which appears in a lot of new cars.

Does anyone actually press all the buttons? Hire cars are terrifying. I pretty much just stick safely to winding the windows up and down. Even the radio and AC in new cars is too complicated for me!

Also does that redline at 7000? Nice

4 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Does anyone actually press all the buttons? Hire cars are terrifying. I pretty much just stick safely to winding the windows up and down. Even the radio and AC in new cars is too complicated for me!

Also does that redline at 7000? Nice

I had to go ask Manuel about some of them. Surprisingly, the radar safety doodad works, if you approach a vehicle too fast the car applies the brakes and slows down in a sane fashion to match speed.

Most of the "well used" buttons do only one thing, with temperature and fan speed being right there, and "Mode" to change where the air goes. Radio is typical Nissan with incomprehensible menus and options.

Yes, it redlines at 7000, not bad for a three-litre.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Does it ever go green?

Nah, it used to go out altogether when the boot was shut, but I had to disconnect that part of the mech to allow the boot handle to operate... and that wouldn't operate because the rear window no longer motors up or down to hit the limit switches.  

It's complicated, needlessly complicated!

Having now sorted the non-working illumination for the heater controls I am now happy to add the Caddy here.

IMG_20220114_170613.thumb.jpg.e0d811952c111e842d76b904e4f3a994.jpg

IMG_20220114_170639.thumb.jpg.e3d9586949764dfe4d2ce3616412d8ee.jpg

I do appreciate the ability on quite a lot of modern stereos like this one to dial in any colour you like so it matches the car.

IMG_20220114_170630.thumb.jpg.58d4944aba85154772ff22e4956ab08d.jpg

Of course I noticed the light for the cigarette lighter was out about ten minutes after I took these photos... telling my OCD to bloody ignore that for a bit though as I've far, far, far more important jobs to attend to!

Must have been one of the last VWs made with the green illumination, pretty much everything else had started to move to the (in my opinion, bloody lovely) blue and red in the late 90s.