THAT abandoned dealer again Swadlincole

Alexg

5 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I fucked my back lifting an Opel Cam in Head engine over the door shut in the conservatory to the back garden. Two of us lifted that too and I still ended up in hospital. Never doing that again. 

Ouch!

I was told by my dad not to even try lifting it. Naturally I completely ignored him and did it anyway!

5 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I fucked my back lifting an Opel Cam in Head engine over the door shut in the conservatory to the back garden. Two of us lifted that too and I still ended up in hospital. Never doing that again. 

Friend of mine banjaxed his lifting a Mk.2 Granada engine.

The scrap metal lot might? In fact I’m surprised they haven’t been in there yet either! I don’t know if scrap is worth much now though?

A guy round here who I know through a mate takes anything. He once watched a brand new industrial air conditioning machine get delivered. As soon as the delivery guys left he went in with his Transit tipper and had it away! It must have cost a fortune but only worth a few hundred at most in scrap. Very resourceful guy!

6 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

The scrap metal lot might? In fact I’m surprised they haven’t been in there yet either! I don’t know if scrap is worth much now though?

A guy round here who I know through a mate takes anything. He once watched a brand new industrial air conditioning machine get delivered. As soon as the delivery guys left he went in with his Transit tipper and had it away! It must have cost a fortune but only worth a few hundred at most in scrap. Very resourceful guy!

We had a Volvo bus engine and box at work to mess around with. When we finished with it we were wondering how the hell to get rid of it. In the end we dragged it outside and left it under a cover next to a container. Come Monday morning and it was gone, how the hell they had moved it I will never know. I still have a piston as a desk ornament.

1 minute ago, Tamworthbay said:

We had a Volvo bus engine and box at work to mess around with. When we finished with we were wondering how the hell to get rid of it. In the end we dragged it outside and left it under a cover next to a container. Come Monday morning and it was gone, how the hell they had moved it I will never know. I still have a piston as a desk ornament.

They’re bloody good at what they do I’ll give them that! 

The guy I mentioned above is Romanian, you look at him and he’s hard as fuck! Proper rough and ready grafter. He’d probably do very well for himself if he’d put the same effort into working on the right side of the law!

He got caught doing the air conditioner, he took it and weighed it in. Then a few days later the story made the local paper. I had a look and there was a big photo of him driving in, then him lifting it into his truck! Clear as day you could see the number plate and his face! Within a few days the police had him in. Funnily enough he also got plastered over Facebook for parking the same truck across three disabled bays at the local Asda too. I know you shouldn’t laugh, but the way he carries on is breathtaking! Absolutely no fucks given at all.

I keep meaning to get him to come get rid of my old Capri springs and other bits and bobs I don’t need anymore.

3 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

They’re bloody good at what they do I’ll give them that! 

The guy I mentioned above is Romanian, you look at him and he’s hard as fuck! Proper rough and ready grafter. He’d probably do very well for himself if he’d put the same effort into working on the right side of the law!

He got caught doing the air conditioner, he took it and weighed it in. Then a few days later the story made the local paper. I had a look and there was a big photo of him driving in, then him lifting it into his truck! Clear as day you could see the number plate and his face! Within a few days the police had him in. Funnily enough he also got plastered over Facebook for parking the same truck across three disabled bays at the local Asda too. I know you shouldn’t laugh, but the way he carries on is breathtaking! Absolutely no fucks given at all.

I keep meaning to get him to come get rid of my old Capri springs and other bits and bobs I don’t need anymore.

I would keep them at arms length, I try not to let them see what I have if at all possible. Stuff like springs and discs I stick in the normal recycling and cover with the usual crap.

37 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Ouch!

I was told by my dad not to even try lifting it. Naturally I completely ignored him and did it anyway!

We didn’t even lift it that far, just up and over the door frame, as my engine crane wouldn’t go in through the door. I’ve never had pain like it, back went into spasm that was it, all I wanted was a bullet in my head it was that bad. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthbay said:

And Capri bits you say.............. assuming they are all scrap?

Yeah, it’s a pair of absolutely wasted leaf springs, two coil springs and a load of knackered engine bits, clutch, exhaust etc etc. Worthless really but if he does scrap its something for him to get a few quid for himself. Tbh, I’d probably load it into my van and meet him somewhere instead of getting him round my place!

4 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

We didn’t even lift it that far, just up and over the door frame, as my engine crane wouldn’t go in through the door. I’ve never had pain like it, back went into spasm that was it, all I wanted was a bullet in my head it was that bad. 

I know what you mean. I did my back in years ago lifting 25L oil drums at work. Crushed a disc in my lower back and all the goo inside started pressing against my sciatic nerve. It was absolute agony and I spent ages laying on a wood floor unable to move. I should have known better than try to lift that engine really but...

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Friend of mine banjaxed his lifting a Mk.2 Granada engine.

My first car (850cc R5L) - the clutch fails. Dad and I are convinced that the engine will weigh the same as a used crisp packet, WCPGW etc.

We tie a rope round it and lash it to a scaffold plank, unbolt and stand either side of the car, from where we lift it out. We narrowly miss crushing the front panel and keep the lump airborne just long enough to clear the tarmac, dropping it on the grass, making a considerable dent in the lawn. Mum was not impressed, we'd both done our backs and we resolved to get a crane next time.

2 hours ago, strangeangel said:

My first car (850cc R5L) - the clutch fails. Dad and I are convinced that the engine will weigh the same as a used crisp packet, WCPGW etc.

We tie a rope round it and lash it to a scaffold plank, unbolt and stand either side of the car, from where we lift it out. We narrowly miss crushing the front panel and keep the lump airborne just long enough to clear the tarmac, dropping it on the grass, making a considerable dent in the lawn. Mum was not impressed, we'd both done our backs and we resolved to get a crane next time.

Reminds me of a near miss we had once at work. We’ve got one van in our team that got a drum crane mounted in the rear doors. We don’t use it often but on occasions when we need to use and move around 205L oil drums it’s handy.

One day we were trying to lift a full oil drum from site into the van, we only had some straps to wrap around the drum to lift it with and space was tight. We got it lifted on the crane, but when it got to it’s max height the strap slipped and the drum slid over falling out of the strap, bouncing off the rear step of the van and landing on the grass bank right next to my leg! The step on the van was bollocksed and the drum was a bent mess too but the crater it left in the grass bank was huge. I swear you could feel the ground shake as it landed! If my leg was slightly further over it would have been under the drum. Probably snapped like a twig I expect!

• 3 months later...

Went for my holidays this year in Swadlincote (don’t ask...) so naturally I decided to pop by this place. Maestro, Cavalier and 800 still there, no real deterioration from previous news. The Maestro doesn’t actually look that bad, it’s obviously had a really shit respray at some point as the paints lifting off. Not that rusty, could possibly see the road again. The Cavalier looks fucked, probably only any use for spares, it was bollocksed 15 years ago when it last ran. Needless to say the 800 is fucked. 

7 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

Yeah I kinda I feel the same about the Cav.

It looks better in the pictures than in the flesh. According to the MOT check thing it failed the last test years ago fairly badly, suspension mounts rotten, steering and suspension fucked. Can’t be sure but again it looks like it’s had some sort of rough blow over in the past as well. 

13 hours ago, sierraman said:

It looks better in the pictures than in the flesh. According to the MOT check thing it failed the last test years ago fairly badly, suspension mounts rotten, steering and suspension fucked. Can’t be sure but again it looks like it’s had some sort of rough blow over in the past as well. 

I had a look at the history too and totally agree. 

What would be great would be if we crowd fund purchased some land for an AS 'HQ' and shifted the whole garage set up complete with cars there. Be really like a really awful version of the scouts where we could congregate a  few times a year to sit round a camp fire toasting marsh mallows on a Rover 800 aerial whilst watching a Maestro dissolve.

• 1 month later...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/plans-bulldoze-garage-dusty-motors-3804967

"Submitted in 2016, the council's planning department has only just given permission for work to begin.

It comes after seven previous applications, the first of which was in 1993." 

I reckon we should take a leaf out of Extinction Rebellion's playbook and whole bunch of shiters ought to rock up and glue ourselves to the gates in protest.

I gather that's the approved way to get noticed these days.

Hopefully someone will notice within a year or two, maybe three at the outside...

BurtonMail.co.uk said:
Grenville Isham, who owns the former Jetberg Garage, in Castle Road, confirmed it would be bulldozed in the future, but would not give a reason for the delay, adding he hoped it would not be too long.

It comes after Mr Isham previously asked for more time before the demolition, as he had suffered two family tragedies in a short amount of time.

The garage, which was abandoned with cars locked inside, is often referred to as being 'stuck in time'.

It has been closed since 2002, but cars from the early 1990s still sit on its forecourt covered in dust.
For many years, Mr Isham has been asked when something will happen at the site. Several plans have been submitted to South Derbyshire District Council to use the site for homes, but none have yet come to fruition.
Mr Isham, of Hall Lane, Willington, had been continuing to trade there – one car at a time – but the selling dried up several years ago and the site has fallen into disrepair.

In 2010, the Mail reported that an application to build 14 homes on the site had been one of the longest running at the authority.

If someone on here really wants one (or more) of these cars, I'd suggest now is the time to get in touch with Mr Isham and offer him the price you'd be willing to pay for it/them. He can only say no. I suspect he'd say yes and be quite pleased to know that his car/s would be heading for a decent home and not the scrapyard.

• 1 month later...