Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

8 hours ago, 155V6 said:

The mainline came in black,silver or white.There's a Scooby Doo version from a multi pack,& also a couple of more expensive versions with nicer details & wheels ?

35784613665_6f0e031ea1_b.jpgDSC_0140_zpstbxtp40l by RS, on Flickr

Surprised hearses are in the lineup again - I read they stopped doing them as some cultures disapproved of children playing with them due to their association with death - so they were released as ambulances. Now to my mind, there's a lot more pain, suffering and death in ambulances than in hearses...

34944391714_a28d5fe749_b.jpgWheels 004_zpsnnpivooa by RS, on Flickr

I got all the windows installed on the Pobeda.  The windscreen was quite easy, the side windows needed to be first trimmed in half and then the bit that goes on the inside of the B pillar filed down a little so that they could be slotted in.  The rear screen just needed careful filing of the surround so it clicked into place nicely.  The interior is now fully detailed and awaiting assembly.  Headlights have been glued in but I'm not entirely happy with how they sit so I'm going to pop them back out, drill the headlight sockets a little larger/deeper, and put the headlights back in so they hopefully sit more flush.

IMAG3081.thumb.jpg.cc0bfa4cb1fed2c088ea3bae6c5b8164.jpg

For the engine, I finally found a suitable donor since there's not really anything off the shelf at this scale.  The Bedford tanker isn't the same scale but the engine looks similar enough in general that it's a suitable donor for this particular project.  I took a plasticine mould of the engine and have cast some two-part epoxy into it like I did for the missing parts on the Mercury kit.  I've added hinges to the Pobeda bonnet so it can be opened just not fully, I'm finding the scale and my lack of experience at this sort of job to be limiting factors so I'm going with what works before it frustrates me on this one.  I made several attempts at a bulkhead and none worked but because the bonnet doesn't open very far, there's a good amount of shadow that obscures the lack of bulkhead so I'm fine with that.  The fact this has an opening bonnet and will have an engine visible at all is perhaps a little on the ambitious side anyway.  The axles were trimmed and the wheels glued on yesterday, then I dropped it putting it away and blasted three of the wheels off so had to reglue them again today which has meant I couldn't finish the painting and assembly I wanted to.

IMAG3080.thumb.jpg.5e6bc30b14ae8890f724760b3729d399.jpg

It's coming along, at any rate.  Tomorrow I should have nicely dried components, and some sort of engine blob to work with and hopefully, barring mishaps, have the whole thing fully painted and assembled.  It's been more difficult to build this than much more complex larger scale kits I've done, it's been a fun challenge but I'm not sure I'd put myself through it again.

In more basic news, the container truck that arrived in a recent assortment was married up with the randome Walls container I had from a previous eBay purchase.  They slot together perfectly but I feel like there's something missing because they don't lock together, one just sort of sits on top of the other.  If this is really how they are then that would explain why the containers are always missing.

IMAG3082.thumb.jpg.29e30e8005209d6bc47b09f89cb0879f.jpg

IMAG3083.thumb.jpg.ec9c4c3c91d16c354520ac5765a08af2.jpg

23 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Huh, every day's a school day!

I bloody hope not!  School was consistently the worst time of my life, including the time MrsR spent in Intensive Care in Paphos!  Including getting arrested for a robbery I had nothing to do with.  Including... well you get the idea.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:29 PM, vulgalour said:

And finally, this little slice of nostalgia. I used to have one exactly like this, even the playwear was pretty much the same, so I'll likely keep it as it is.  Never had a trailer for it, the trailers always seemed really hard to find.

Matchbox-Kenworth.jpg.83e5b4000316bd1046e58814c233c52a.jpg

I still have a dent in my left kneecap from kneeling on the upturned trailer that came with this wagon. 

10 hours ago, sierraman said:

Moar useless phacts! It came as part of the First Issue Container Port along with a plastic version of the railway shunter.

Indeed, thus:

5847312313_0e50f1a0a2_o.jpg

Matchbox Playset Container Port by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

They illustrated it with the blue container, but I always found that combination displeasing. I generally kept the Sealand container on mine, which was a bit fancier as it had opening doors.

No Pobeda update today, though I can tell you the engine I cast is suitable and does fit.  Instead, today I got the DS models out of the purple meths so I could see what I was dealing with.  I expected all of the Safaris to be ordinary estates, so I was a little surprised when the only estate is the one with the bust roof and glass, while the other three are ambulance variants.  That means the rear glazing is blue and is also the interior for the cabin, while the front glazing is a separate clear unit.  This isn't actually a problem, quite the opposite, it just meant I changed my original plan of building a four door Tissier and am now building a 2 door triple axle instead.  The two I'm not chopping up will become an estate and an ambulance using the bits I've got here, there's enough of the broken estate glazing to splice with one of the ambulance front glazing, hiding the seam with the B pillar.

Tissier-01.thumb.jpg.0fedb8f3d51c3cf3c58b8c3c2f9ff765.jpg

I was going to go for a twin axle originally, the pieces I had to work with meant it was actually easier and would look more balanced as a triple axle, so that's what I've done.  The middle axle on the rear is fitted by filing a groove into the rear chassis portion and then glueing the axle down.  This actually allows all six rear wheels to roll and while the middle axle on the back doesn't have suspension, the other two do, so I'm pretty please with that.  For strength, I'll use some epoxy to blend the portions of the chassis together and for the very end extension I'll be using the bit that I didn't stick on that's still attached to the ambulance end unit I chopped off.

Tissier-02.thumb.jpg.657d9a6be35d7fa45fc637d3ed60161c.jpg

Tissier-03.thumb.jpg.0bf2d72e429c2251f2b5ff824bdd9dd6.jpg

For the blending of the bodywork I've spread the ambulance front end a little and squished the rear estate section a little to get them to match closely.  Filler will take care of the rest.  I'll also be cutting out a wheel arch so all three wheels are visible on both sides and, of course, filling in the original wheel arch right at the back.  Blending the sides is probably the bulk of the work on this one.  After looking at several pictures and blogs and videos on Tissiers, it looks like the extension doesn't affect the original wheelbase of the car in most cases, instead having extra subframe/s and bodywork grafted on behind the rear axle, that's what I've done too and the proportions are looking about right.

Tissier-04.thumb.jpg.b58efbe069f5f50c80a36ce3569a4c13.jpg#

One thing I hadn't been able to figure out was what I was doing with the back of the cab.  That is, until I discovered one of the donors for this has separate cab glazing.  Because of where I cut the roof it just so happens this forms an almost perfect cab back without any work and even the remains of the roof rack doesn't look out of place.  It's nice when you get a bit of good fortune like that.  For the flatbed I'm using the broken off end of a top deck from a DAF transporter which I'll section a little to make it the right width since it's ever so slightly too wide in standard format.  I also already know this will take one of the other standard DS Safari models, which is likely how I'll display this one.

Tissier-05.thumb.jpg.f46ea23c2012a2715ae121fb53a80c17.jpg

Next up will be stripping the last of the paint off so I can get on with the next stage of assembly and then I'm going to have to figure out what colour I'm doing this one.

Diecast grump.

Among my restoration projects is a Corgi Citroen DS Safari, which I've done in a pale beige.  I refitted the upper tailgate a while ago, but that's about as far as I've got.  Now then... in a recent job lot I gained a second example, which is probably due a repaint but rather more urgently needs both parts of the tailgate.  So I bought some repro stock off the bay of E, which have now arrived.  I went to do a test-fit on the beige one and... broke the original tailgate getting it off.

BOLLOCKS!  FUCKITTY FUCK!  Now I need to buy another tailgate.

My not-diecast grump is that because I have been so busy this weekend I have not yet had a chance to open the parcel that Egg. Esq. Motors (Plastic Division) has sent me. I like to take my time with parcels and admire and study what I have just received before deciding on a good shelf slot for it.

I'm always home first on a Monday so I'll enjoy doing that then :)

Pobeda is done.  For some reason, it attracts black dust like no other kit I have and I have no idea where the black dust is coming from so... that's a thing.  That's why you see black specks in the photos.

Pobeda1.thumb.jpg.65a49a46de30a1ca5255a9ede3bc87e4.jpg

Pobeda2.thumb.jpg.d1ab52409ca22035742e437f65afffbf.jpg

Pobeda3.thumb.jpg.b84d60fcd8905c0e8c7a5d522e446c03.jpg

Pobeda4.thumb.jpg.4f80254fed30c07e9d15cd78dffcdb2d.jpg

The engine I cast worked quite well, even if it's so small a part and the bonnet opens so little because of the hinges I did (not that I could figure out how to do them better at this scale) that the only way to show you on camera was to use the tiniest safety pin as a bonnet prop.  It's suitable for this particular kit at any rate.

Pobeda5.thumb.jpg.3b62eb444dfcdd26ac09da742d96778f.jpg

So there we go, that's a 1:72 scale GAZ Pobeda.  It's moderately well scaled and while the wheels are a little oversized, it's otherwise pretty good.  The interior is totally pointless because you just can't see it in person or on camera.  As happy as I am with the end result, I wouldn't recommend this kit.  Completion came more with a sense of relief than satisfaction, and that for me is never a good sign.  Even without the additional work of making the bonnet open and casting an engine, it would have still been an awkward fiddly thing to build.  If I want to make stuff in this scale, I'll stick to generic diecast stuff, like this HotWheels hot rod which is useful to show you the scale of the Pobeda against something potentially familiar.

Pobeda6.thumb.jpg.e0467e7bc03488f465db65227a39afda.jpg

Great work on the Pobeda, Vulg - looks like a right fiddly piece of work. Opening bonnet is a nice touch!

The Tissier DS looks like it's shaping up very well too - I'd wondered if the bashed-up DAF transporter might play a supporting role in this creation...

Apologies for the lack of Tat Friday last week, folks. Hopefully normal service will resume at the end of the week.