Bus Shite

Felly Magic

On 7/17/2022 at 5:51 PM, Yoss said:

So there were hundreds of buses there but I only took a few pictures. 

These two stood out for a show in the south of England. 

IMG_20220717_145237.thumb.jpg.b3351108fadd758b743850e5f372a8d1.jpg

I thought the blue one was a Leopard from a distance but it wears an AEC badge. 

IMG_20220717_145226.thumb.jpg.8787f71f5c861fc1f34e72cd985f6285.jpg

I assume it is some sort of psuedo Kelvin livery. It carries Airdrie legal lettering so it is a very long way from home. 

IMG_20220717_145311.thumb.jpg.39e50ad2cc80f58698d64ac3fc9d3d16.jpg

Especially for something with standard bus seats. 

yoss, its a sec reliance witth alexander o falkirk bodywork, it never actually saw service as a service bus going new to the rittb (road industry transport training group) at livingston, it came into preservation in the late 80's and is part o the glasgow collection at bridgeton, had it up to aviemore back in 96 and it fair moves, hills are no issues for the aec engine...... glasoow website https://gvvt.org/

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

r/CasualUK - Every now and then, police twitter accounts produce something hilarious

"Bus seized" Id like to see how squeezed it into their probably underground car lot!

I also wonder if they mean he only had a previsional bus licence, or worse still only a previsional car licence? details matter people! LOL

I was also thinking how do you get to be owning a bus while being so stupid*, then I remembered you can probably pick up a clapped out but drivable Dennis Dart for something like £2K on ebay and does not take long for someone having been drunk in charge of the eBay app for silly purchases to happen!

(*I almost wonder if they knew what they where doing but thinking they could get away with it because "who would ever pull over a bus" but then they go and put "Bus wanker" on their destination board...)

Right, more B&W pics I took half a century ago, this time in Chesterfield, a small council owned fleet then that was full of interesting buses, and was until Stagecoach bought it, here's some pics I took on a visit back then.

New as London Transport RW1 in 1960, this AEC Reliance with Willowbrook body was part of an experimental batch of three vehicles.  All three passed to Chesterfield after just three years and stayed until withdrawal around 1979/80.  Of the three, this was the only one scrapped, the other two were bought for preservation. An interesting selection of chod in the background.

18.thumb.jpg.5b6447ac7a760a0b25f1f1afba66b7d1.jpg

Chesterfield's own Reliances included these Neepsend bodied dual door examples. Despite being manual transmission they were surprisingly pleasant to drive for a shift, and easily "chuckable", says the man who had his conductor swearing violently at him when he deliberately put an empty one sideways around a corner out in the Derbyshire sticks on a very, very, very snowy and cold winter night.

41.thumb.jpg.d3f889c20b5deeab6a929d640f3b5f87.jpg

In 1993, Daimlers' Roadliner was voted the worst bus ever built in a poll in 'Classic Bus', even knocking the Wulfronian into second place, so you can imagine how 'wonderful' a Neepsend bodied example was, and Chesterfield had bought ten of them in 1967!  They did sound marvelous though (when not broken) with that American built Cummings V6 in the back.

75.thumb.jpg.cf2e67debce89583a444de37a1ada39b.jpg

After the Roadliners Chesterfield went for something more* reliable, buying Leyland's Panther model with both Neepsend and Northern Counties bodies, this is one of the later ones in Sheffield Bus Station.  I remember fetching one out of Chesterfield's Stonegravels Depot and 'dabbing' the brakes just before the automatic doors. Boy was that a surprise for me as it stopped stone dead, something generally unheard of with Leyland's products.  It was an even bigger surprise for my conductor that day as he'd just got to the back of the bus to check for lost property when it stopped.  There was a loud scream as he took about three steps to cover the full (36') length of the bus before bouncing off the windscreen and ending up in a pile on the floor next to me.

100z.thumb.JPG.5a4430915f9daa8df7b9489f4a0d61c3.JPG

These two Leyland PD2s with Weymann bodywork are seen inside Sheffield Corporations East Bank garage (now First Olive Grove) next to one of the Corporations Weymann bodied Regent Vs, whilst on hire to the Corporation due to a temporary vehicle shortage; a euphemism frequently used by operators following the unexpected visit of the man from the ministry. 

222_223_STD448.thumb.jpg.5dd5defcb4a0adc2e6629c2963b7f0c4.jpg

Whilst many operators were switching to rear engined Atlanteans and Fleetlines, Chesterfield bought a batch of these Weymann bodied Daimler CCG6s in the mid 60's. The second C in the designation indicating that they were fitted with constant mesh (ie crash) gearboxes.

261.thumb.jpg.20258a9af97ece80de4093a90840d90c.jpg

Why this is sideways I don't know, but it's a Northern Counties bodied Leyland AN68.

image.thumb.jpeg.094cc6c08eb889ea4d8e0c382a74f512.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Must admit I have never heard of Neepsend, they must have been a small company 

Subsidary of East Lancs set up by them in the Neepsend area of Sheffield in 1964 to take advantage of tax / rates relief available. When the reliefs ended, so did Neepsend (1968).

On 25/08/2022 at 12:09, LightBulbFun said:

"Bus seized" Id like to see how squeezed it into their probably underground car lot!

I also wonder if they mean he only had a previsional bus licence, or worse still only a previsional car licence? details matter people! LOL

I was also thinking how do you get to be owning a bus while being so stupid*, then I remembered you can probably pick up a clapped out but drivable Dennis Dart for something like £2K on ebay and does not take long for someone having been drunk in charge of the eBay app for silly purchases to happen!

(*I almost wonder if they knew what they where doing but thinking they could get away with it because "who would ever pull over a bus" but then they go and put "Bus wanker" on their destination board...)

About 13 years ago, whilst I was bored at waiting time late at night with no passengers, I tried typing Bus W####r on the scroll, but it just showed up as 'BAD ROUTE'. Then 'Sorry, out of service'. Andover Displays don't let us have any fun. Even today, I still don't know how to put my own messages on the display.

For the record, and for topic recovery, the bus in question was an '04-plate Optare Solo, 47-series I think. They were shite even in those days.

On 25/08/2022 at 19:29, Inspector Morose said:

It's one time Reading WJB68T, a Leyland Titan B15. Wondered if it was still around/clinging on to life.

Edit: the bus behind is FKM718L, an ex-Maidstone and District Leyland Atlantean/MCW with coach(ish) seating, by the way.

I used to ride on FKM717L (and its sisters) back in the early 80's when M+D provided the school bus service from Cliffe to Hoo in north Kent.

Now a Norwegian combined bus has come for sale again. This is a 1990 Volvo B10M which for the last 10 years has been owned by a charity which has used it to drive aid shipments to Ukraine. They have had 2 to 3 Ukraine trips a year in the summer with it and the last trip to Ukraine was in July, which it carried out without any problems. They describe it as very reliable. Mileage is unknown but the engine was overhauled just under 400,000 km ago so is in good condition. And it has 14 seats and 8.6 tonnes payload. 10,800 pounds.

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

https://www.finn.no/b2b/bus/ad.html?finnkode=270533060

Go North East closed Chester le street bus depot that has been serving County Durham for more than 100 years yesterday.

The Go North East depot in Chester-le-Street Picture: BILLY ATKINSON/NORTHERN ECHO CAMERA CLUB

The Northern Echo: The Go North East depot in Chester-le-Street Picture: SARAH CALDECOTT

It was/is situated on 1 of the busiest roads into Chester le Street, with buses, coaches and breakdown wagons it could be a real pain in the arse. But it does seem a shame it's gone. GNE stated  financial reasons for the closure.

Buses will now travel from the Washington depot some 8 miles away.

A new housing estate soon, one thinks.

Here's some shots from Helsinki, more learned readers can tell us what these coaches are...

image.thumb.png.036efccd33576fd92db6ff1002e4e852.png

Kampii Central Bus Station, 1950's. I guess these are parked up ready to approach the actual station in the background (white building).

image.thumb.png.23589c20f95ae89170e2b51e38a5456e.png

Tennispalatsi (”Tennis Palace”) located in Kamppi was built in 1937 in preparation for the 1940 Summer Olympics. The building was designed by Helge Lundström. Some nice wagons as well. Pictured 1953.

image.png.4d70f24cfd59a6139a250ff99277dcc9.png

2 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

Ooh, a Hull SAG! (for that was the registration) 

Nice bonus Autofare 1 ticket machine too. I can still hear the noise they made when the driver changed the fare stage.

Jesus Christ, that’s sad even for me.

I used to know all the suffix and prefix of the KHCT fleet in the early 90s.   Metrobuses were SAG...W or LAT...V

Suddenly dawns on me why I never had any girlfriends when I was a teen 🤔

EDIT: Probably still could reel them all off 30 years later 😳

Finally got around to spending five minutes reverse engineering the interface connector on this thing enough to feed it power without worrying about blowing it up.

IMG_20220914_175530.thumb.jpg.55dc988fbc3d7792f21586c820076672.jpg

Not sure why I didn't when I got it...it took all of about five minutes.  Only real trap for the unwary is that the system ground is isolated from the case.

Seems to function, though I can't do anything beyond this without a programmed driver module.  If my memory is correct all the config is in the module rather than the machine, so a blank one from eBay won't get me anywhere!

I'm sure someone with enough smarts could figure out a way to spoof the machine into thinking one was there as I don't imagine it's anything more than a string of fairly low bitrate serial data from the reader - that someone however isn't me!

Don't suppose anyone knows anyone with an old Wayfarer 3 driver card floating around do they?

What's on the card isn't really that important to me - this thing didn't cost me anything and my intention has always really been for it to sit on a shelf being a (very heavy) clock.  

Yes I could probably gut it and feed the display from a Raspberry Pi or Arduino or something...and it wouldn't be any massive loss to history given how many thousand of these things are still sitting around out there...but that's not really my style.

Edit: Did a bit more nosing around.  Running the display independently off an alternative controller wouldn't be difficult as it's just a bog standard off the shelf serial LCD display.  Albeit one with absolutely fantastic contrast.  It also has an integrated backlight so just needs power supplying to that.  Lighting the keypad though would be a lot harder as it looks like there are several multiplexed circuits going on there.  I'd rather just get it going properly.

Safe to say the keypad needed a good clean!

IMG_20220914_214720.thumb.jpg.6d89fa5496e41f25421dc90f083eae25.jpg

Those key caps should be clear!  Eww.