Building cars live

DVee8

Didn't mind it. The Mini design heritage segment was laughably wide of the mark and factually incorrect to boot. 

The rest of it was uneven; many of the live links were awkward and much of the exposition was repeated in VT. 
I'll watch the second part tomorrow.

Exactly what I thought.

Kate Humble was a Top Gear presenter long before her Springwatch days.  I always thought she was really good on it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MJFesHH0UA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfu5K2RsQqU

How many people know that Julia Bradbury was also a Top Gear presenter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roaq5YCMJsk

Kate humble and Julia Bradbury didn't save Top Gear last time round...

Peugeot did make a 106 Electrique and a Partner van. I nearly bought the van version with a missing motor. The owner sent it away to be rebuilt and there were some issues with the company going bust or something. I hoped I could get some info out of the seller that could lead me to tracking the thing down but I couldn't get enough out of them.

This is why I love this site, I didn't have a clue that peugeot made a 106 electrique, thanks for that

Really enjoying the detail, especially the milling of a clay 1:1 replica complete with 3D printed detail. The live aspect has allowed the presenters to add lots of cringe factor but the content is decent.

• Like 2

fail no 1 the bini they were watching was late for the end of the prog in the wrong place every time

fail no 2 did the show how the "state of the art" paint section does the diferent colours on the roof- NO IT FCUKIN DID NOT!

Love how May got so fascinated by the wheel nut machine that he just stopped presenting. But yes, not a great advert for 'to the second' production given that the car was never where it should have been. Wonder if Nissan would have done a better job?

It was good to sit down with my 9yr-old son and watch it. He found it very interesting, was asking questions and has since made a recreation of a production line in his bedroom with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars and Tomica Hypercity road and rail tracks.

Anything that shows we still make things in this country has got to be good, right?

It was good to sit down with my 9yr-old son and watch it. He found it very interesting, was asking questions and has since made a recreation of a production line in his bedroom with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars and Tomica Hypercity road and rail tracks.

This is brilliant, and alone makes the programme worthwhile.  Please report back in ten years on Offspring's progress with his engineering degree/apprenticeship.

B)

I was incurably inquistive as a brat... Dismantle anything (yes, even it didn't need it).

Loved my engineering apprenticeship and cars [good match!].

Now breakfix pc/tills....

NOT what I was put on earth to do :(

.. TF4A$ ..

TS

Fucking hell google says Kate Humble did present top gear!  No wonder they gave it to Clarkson after that

I now feel old as I remember her presenting TG, without requiring the aid of OogleG to tell me. Whoever chose her to be a presenter on a car programme must have been the type who'd give the ok to Daniella Westbrook to work in a pharmacy. Whatever the case, Kate Bumble was marginally less annoying than that bigoted twat, Clarkson.

• Like 2

Anything that shows we still make things in this country has got to be good, right?

My 7 yr old was allowed to stay up a bit later to watch but only lasted 10 mins before the allure of Star Wars Lego took over.

I wanted to email the question "why do BMW continue to use the name mini when they are fecking huge?" mrs fp told me they wouldn't be stupid enough to use it on air so I didn't bother

Mrs DW was visibly twitching when the silly designer bloke in the first programme said something like 'We followed the original design brief. As small and economical as possible."

I would have liked to see more stuff about the engine and gearbox, but I guess as they're nailed together by Brummies, they decided not to fill that gap.

I enjoyed it, like I enjoy everything to do with cars.

Good or bad presenting aside, it's always fun and interesting to see the inner workings of a modern day car factory.

The comments about calling huge cars minis when their obviously not "mini" is down to the fact that mini is a brand owned by BMW like smart cars, owned by merc.

I quite enjoyed it. The actual 'putting the cars together' bits were quite tedious, as they concentrated on the clever machines than on how the cars worked, and they did seem to be aimed at people who'd never seen a production line before. What I did find interesting was the organisation and logistics involved in getting so many cars built to a customer's specification then sent to the right place.

Young Miss Masters was horrified by the prospect of a driver-less car.

Why didn't they mention that it was British folk at Rover that designed it?

What happened to that pre-producation one with all the Rover bits that was on eBay a while ago - did anyone restore it do you know?

Bit of info about what might have been here...

http://www.austinmemories.com/page164/page164.html

• Like 2