Motoring Chaos! (Part 2)

Pffft!

Brushed my car entirely off at 7 pm last night, looked like this again by 11 pm:

Posted Image

Brushed it all off again to go for the 15 mile drive home.

Had about 15 inches last night, on top of the 15 inches from Saturday, on top of the...........

now your just showing off................ :P

Hasn't stopped snowing here since I set off to work, which doesn't bode too well for the trip home. Had a "funny" situation this morning though, where the car started sliding sideways down a steeply cambered road with the handbrake on! Luckily it was the entrance to a T-junction so I booted it and spun the wheel around, wheelspinning into the road and doing a big noisy hooligan slide.

We've got absolutely nowt here at all. It's just a bit damp.

I've been ranting at the news and BBC website with all their "chaos" tripe too. Yes it's a bit of a pisser when it snows heavily but I have a theory as to the cause of all this bad weather:

IT'S WINTER

:roll:

I think half the problem is that winter can be either fierce or half-arsed in this country. In the colder climes of europe, roads aren't gritted so they basically become 100% snow... so pop on your snow chains and go. Here though you drive a couple of miles on snow, then hit gritted / clear main roads, so you'd be forever fugging about putting on & taking off the chains. Add to that the disregard for 'mud & snow' tyres that we have - obv these limit performance and economy when it's not horrible, which can be quite alot in winter. I mean last february it was shirtsleeves for a few days at least. Also, M+S tyres really mean another set of wheels, which on our overcrowded barrat-development of a country a very large number of people don't have space to have kicking about 9 months of the year.

What about all those folk who have a garage but no car in it? It's not like you can get much of a car inside the single garage of a house built after about 1987, anyway :lol: Well, still a few inches on the ground hereabouts - was beginning to thaw yesterday but was then replenished overnight. Apparently the traffic is chaos, but I haven't ventured out in it since Monday due to catching something called "Norovirus", which is horrid. Perhaps back to work tomorrow, and there's more snow forecast overnight - provided I leave early enough though it should be fine. It's not so much the conditions that are the risk, but rather the stupidity of other road users...

What about all those folk who have a garage but no car in it?

And your point is?Two houses over the road have had extensions that have robbed space from the garage, as have one of my neighbors. I think two of them store motorbikes in them. The other isn't even big enough for that!I agree about not being able to fit a car in most modern garages. When you can, getting out can be be near impossible. :-(

I've been most annoyed at the lack of snow here over the last few years.. we've had a few flurries in the last couple of days and had a couple of inches one day early on this week.Yorkshire seems to get it all these days, east coast of scotland gets sod all!!Last year i think we had one snow shower all winter

I've been most annoyed at the lack of snow here over the last few years.. we've had a few flurries in the last couple of days and had a couple of inches one day early on this week.Yorkshire seems to get it all these days, east coast of scotland gets sod all!!Last year i think we had one snow shower all winter

Dave its snowed for 3 out the last 4 days here, we have about a combined 8 inches for the 4 days, this afternoon is the only time I've not been out and about...........I've even made it to the pub with the old bloke along the road so he doesn't miss out on his pint :D

Keef, my point was those folk who choose to not keep their car in their garage (or can't fit it in!), as per Pog's post, should still have enough space to store 4 mud and snow tyres in them; although I'm not sure if they were mandated between the months of October and March (as they are in, say, Germany) it would make a lot of difference to the amount of accidents and abandoned cars that we've seen over the last few days.I guess I also (partly) question the logic of why some folk use their garages to keep odds n' sods in, and their cars (which are worth more) out on the drive/street - but it's each to their own. I'm not questioning those who have converted their garage into another room for the house. Personally, I keep my garage crammed full of 405 and 405-related crud, which is probably worth a lot less than the fridge/freezer, multigym etc that other folk I know have in theirs...

What about all those folk who have a garage but no car in it? It's not like you can get much of a car inside the single garage of a house built after about 1987, anyway :lol:

Nope, we have a shower, sink, toilet, wardrobe, drawers, desk big feck orf fishtank and single bed in ours (and about eleventy thousand clocks - but thats another tale)

Posted Image

Uber shit as a garage - goes from 10 foot wide at the front to just over 7 foot wide about 3 foot in. GR8 as sons bedroom though. :wink:

Think he may object to a set of 16" rimmorz with M&S tyres under the bed - would bugger up the scalextric.

Still feeling short changed on the weather andd still amazed a couple of inchs of snow grind this country to a halt.

Keef, my point was those folk who choose to not keep their car in their garage (or can't fit it in!), as per Pog's post, should still have enough space to store 4 mud and snow tyres in them;

Ah, I see :-)I think you are on a loser there as most folk I know don't have enough room in their garage for *anything* else. Too full of freezers, push bikes and carrier bags full of foil trays! :-)

(and about eleventy thousand clocks - but thats another tale)

Old clocks per chance?Sorry, back to the weather...
No, James has Autism, his "thing" or obsession is time, he has (at the last count) about 163 clocks and they are all exactly right - he gets in a right panic when trains and buses are late/ early. Still, whilst he is a creature of ritual (wakes at 6.29am, comes out of his edroom at 6.43am porridge at 7.30am and so on...) he does not at least obsess about something barking, like house alarms or something.Oh, the noise is something else in his room with all the ticking...

Get that Mk3 undercover soon, RG - preferably crammed full of Waxoyl in your living room, as some kind of art installation! Were the wheels like that under the trimz - I imagined they would be black-painted?

They were but have been painted - I think they were silver originally though as I have 2 more from an old one I had that are also silver.What do you think of the center caps? I think it should look good with the chrome trim rings. On my run to my parents I took advantage of the empty (other than me) car and bought some stuff back including the cover for it. I can't put it on until it drys up a bit though otherwise it will just trap moisture underneath it anyway.Oh, and I've discovered it is a german built one which I think usually stand up to the rust a bit better than the spanish and brit built examples.

I was under the impression that high-spec Scrotes and Sierras (i.e. Ghias) were usually German-built, and tend to last better; mind you, they tended to have old-giffer owners who looked after 'em better too.Back to the weather - up to 8 inches more snow forecast in my area tonight...

MOAR SNOW! MOAR MOAR!!I am really enjoying not going out in it. Lovely. Sitting about, eatin' crisps, trying (& failing) to entertain the kids. Better than slopping about in all that mush trying to go to work. As long as it's all gone by next week I am happy. (And assuming that the car hasn't been completely engulfed in permafrost). I could get used to this 'leisurely living'.

Oh, the noise is something else in his room with all the ticking...

Ah, OK. Didn't mean to pry. Just that old ticking things are my business...
Oh dont worry, James is James. he knows he has Autism, and even jokes about his obsession. Most of his clocks are moden battery or mains opperated things, he has his eye on a 1920's art deco style thing that was presented to his great great grandfather fro retiring from the prison service ( and whist he keeps it wound he isnt getting his mitts on it till he is 16) and i bought him a hoooooooooege Smiths ex-post office wall clock wich doominates one of his walls. When he was younger I thought he might actually become intersted in horology, but it seems his obsession is stopping at punctuallity.The girls drive him mad by wandering off with his clocks. And you can probably imagine the fun we have when the clocks o forward / back :roll:

Oh, the noise is something else in his room with all the ticking...

Ah, OK. Didn't mean to pry. Just that old ticking things are my business...
Oh dont worry, James is James. he knows he has Autism, and even jokes about his obsession. Most of his clocks are moden battery or mains opperated things, he has his eye on a 1920's art deco style thing that was presented to his great great grandfather fro retiring from the prison service ( and whist he keeps it wound he isnt getting his mitts on it till he is 16) and i bought him a hoooooooooege Smiths ex-post office wall clock wich doominates one of his walls. When he was younger I thought he might actually become intersted in horology, but it seems his obsession is stopping at punctuallity.The girls drive him mad by wandering off with his clocks. And you can probably imagine the fun we have when the clocks o forward / back :roll:
Does he have a form of Aspergers? (The wife's a teaching assistant, I've helped out with adults with autism at the Calvert Trust)

Nah, its full on ASD rather than Aspergers, he has a global development delay and there are lots of other things that he finds challenging, babies crying, large crowds, things being late, brown things, and so on. We had the mainstream education route a few years ago, that phailed dismally, then he went into a special unit within a mainstream and that was great, we saw a real improvement. Then despite what the teachers and edcaional psycologist said the LEA said he should be back in a mainstream school but none would have him when they read his statement of needs, so for a while we were without any schooling for him untill we took the LEA for a judicial review and they lost.He is now in a special school and is doing briliantly. He has a flair for swimming and sciences, he also tags allong with the 5th years in the mechanics workshop and seems to be showing a real flair for oily things too.