Anyone fancy one of Pininfarina's finest?

carlo

I have had my Peugeot 406 V6 automatic Coupe for three months now, and with a slightly heavy heart have decided it may not be for me.  Originally bought as a 50th birthday present for myself, I am finding it just a bit too uncomfortable for my very dodgy back.  I tend to take the trusty old 405’s keys when both are hanging up on the wall!  This is a shame as I have done quite a bit of remedial work on the car since I bought it off ebay, however firstly some details:

2000 ‘W’ Peugeot 406 V6 Automatic Coupe

Satellite Grey with red leather

Sunroof

MOT until 25th April 2015 (over 9 months)

91,000 miles

4 previous keepers

Stamped service book up to 2011, plus a fair few receipts for work since

Timing belt changed at 57,000

The previous owner to me apparently used it for mainly long trips, especially abroad.

Since I bought the car I have put in a brand new radiator, with the corresponding pressure test ensuring there’s nothing wrong with the engine/head gasket.  I have also had a £175 automatic gearbox service, including an oil change; they confirmed the fluid looked fine and no faults were reported.  So the probable two most crucial parts of the car have the all clear.  I have also fixed or replaced lots of interior bits including 2 speakers (now you can put the loudness button on!), both door trims have been re-attached, new gear lever and a new multi-function display.  I’ve had the front electric seat tilt fixed and finally given the whole car an oil and filter service last month.

It does drive beautifully, and goes like stink.  All the electrics, including air con (very cold), cruise and sunroof work fine.  No warning lights on the dash (yes, remarkable).  The only bad things to report are that it would benefit very much from two new front discs; the brakes are a bit grabby and can vibrate when braking at speed.  There are also scratches or scuffs on all four bumper corners, I have been quoted £95 from one of these miracle plastic bumper repair people to fix this.  These two jobs would have been the next and final two things I would have done if I was committed to keeping the car.  Inside there’s a bit of wear to the piping on the driver’s seat, and a tiny bit of surface rust on the passenger door.

From reading lots about these cars since buying it, it appears this may be one of the best specs – one of the early D9s with the 210bhp engine but without the later multiplex wiring, pre-Y plate so cheaper tax, however it has the earlier ventilated leather trim and starfish alloys.  And a sunroof!  They surely must start to appreciate fairly soon as all the good ones disappear, at the moment they seem too cheap.

I’m really looking to get £995 for the car, and would certainly be happy to leave the £60 worth of tax on it at that price.  At the end of the day I’m a sensible fellow who describes his cars accurately, and always appreciate dealing with sensible people.  Have also put it on the Coupe forum, can’t quite bring myself to risk the horrors of ebay yet.

I’m near Ivybridge, South Devon.

Img_0165a.jpg

Img_2007a.jpg

Img_2015a.jpg

Img_0160a.jpg

Img_2009a.jpg

Img_0167d.jpg

Img_4493a.jpg

Img_0110d.jpg

Img_4498a.jpg

Img_4496a.jpg

Oh, it's multiplex all right, it just doesn't have as much of it as the later 406s. Sorry you didn't get on with it, I have an estate and I've wanted a coupé for years but I slipped a disk a couple of years back and was in absolute agony driving the estate for many months, so that kind of ended any ideas I had about buying a coupé :( The seats are lovely and comfy otherwise. Mind you, if I saw a coupé like yours for 995 over here I'd buy it anyway and get a morphine drip...

No warning lights on the dash (yes, remarkable).

Pfft.

Actually, I think that's also one of the last ones before the road tax went mental.

Oh yes, GLWTS - Can I link it on the 406OC?

Pfft this forum has too many buttons

Oh, it's multiplex all right, it just doesn't have as much of it as the later 406s. Sorry you didn't get on with it, I have an estate and I've wanted a coupé for years but I slipped a disk a couple of years back and was in absolute agony driving the estate for many months, so that kind of ended any ideas I had about buying a coupé :( The seats are lovely and comfy otherwise. Mind you, if I saw a coupé like yours for 995 over here I'd buy it anyway and get a morphine drip...

Pfft.

Actually, I think that's also one of the last ones before the road tax went mental.

Oh yes, GLWTS - Can I link it on the 406OC?

Pfft this forum has too many buttons

Yes, I forgot to mention it's also cheaper to tax than a 'Y' plate onwards!  (**amended**)

Already on the 406 Coupe club, wasn't aware there was any other 406 club but would be delighted with a link!

Yes, I forgot to mention it's also cheaper to tax than a 'Y' plate onwards!  (**amended**)

Already on the 406 Coupe club, wasn't aware there was any other 406 club but would be delighted with a link!

'tis done, yay verilly forsooth. We're kind of the less anally retentive poorer cousin who swears too much really - 406oc.co.uk Actually there are loads of 406 owner's clubs all over the globe, very popular motor is the 406.

'tis done, yay verilly forsooth. We're kind of the less anally retentive poorer cousin who swears too much really - 406oc.co.uk Actually there are loads of 406 owner's clubs all over the globe, very popular motor is the 406.

Yes the Coupe club are quite polite actually, remarkably helpful though.  Every single problem I posted about the car was replied to with a working solution within the hour!  Remarkable.  

I probably would have preferred the softer V6 saloon actually.  Still really prefer my 405s though, they're like a comfy old pair of slippers.

What does it do to the galleon please?

Down 'ere in deepest Devon it's averaging 23/24 mpg on short hops up and down the hills - trip computer gave me 33mpg on a run to London though.  Figures I would expect. 

• 1 month later...

This is just a bit of a bump for this - a few have expressed interest since the ebay ad but it's not gone.  Only thing which has happened since O/P is a couple of airbag warning lights have come on, apparently a very common occurrence on these.

Despite having had some good fun with this it has taught me two things:

I prefer saloons to coupes

I don't hanker after performance as much as I thought, comfort is more important!