Eight years ago

dollywobbler

Just because I was virtually rummaging through some old photos, I thought it might be a good idea to hurl up pics of some of your old chod from eight years ago.

Here's my 2CV, in France. I'd owned it for five years by this stage. Believe it or not, it was already halfway through a major restoration - the bodyshell had undergone a LOT of work and it now sat on a galvanised chassis. I couldn't afford to get the outer panels sorted though.

1378612_10151966290503200_1367550969_n.j

2005 was also the year in which I did a very silly though. I bought a 160bhp BX 16v from Keith Adams. It was sheer lunacy.

VroKsA5.jpg

I actually paid good money for this. My first 4x4. It seemed to have no suspension at all. I should have bought a Discovery.

x4aqu2Nh.jpg

This was rather better.

DVzYQc6h.jpg

£375, 2-litre 5-pot and ran well after I reversed the connections on the cooling fan so it actually sucked through the rad rather than blew...

Add yours!

2005 started with this 1989 LR 90, 2.5 turbo diesel, no power steering. Felt like a Ferrari after my shit old Series III.

2211_63472362795_846_n.jpg

However it wasn't a Series and after a few months I swopped it with my best mate for this.

S3400009.jpg

3.5 V8, Range rover diffs, cherry bomb exhaust and Sierra seats. Went like shit off a shovel and huge, huge fun.

It was also a total bitsa and a bit rough, I later rebuilt it using another 2a and ran it as my daily before selling it to a friend who said he'd look after it... but that's another story.

2005 was a year of (relatively) great change for the Lobster fleet.

Sold this - 

9603122342_e1454c0142.jpg

Shouldn't have as it was a very good one and needed relatively little doing. I was having one of those 'fed up of old cars' times though so it got sold.

Daily was this -

9599888687_e87e063f5f.jpg

Which I actually loved. Company car as I was employed by an agency that had a Ford contract. Zetec 1.8 TDCi with climate pack. After 9 months and 28k I could have bought it very cheaply indeed. Wish I had.

Instead, I bought this -

8619091670_a85ee6e24c.jpg

Which I also loved. Lived up to all the Alfa stereotypes - unreliable, expensive but huge amount of fun. Another one I miss.

And after thirteen years of owning it, this went off to meet its maker. Waited too long to do anything with it which meant it was fairly rotten. Pity.

David5.jpg

Eight years ago I hadn't yet passed my test, ridiculously.  It was mostly the cost of it rather than any ineptitude on my part, I managed to pass theory, hazard and practical tests on the first attempt so I can't be that bad a driver, right?

Anyway, I've had chod even before I was legally allowed on the open road, but in 2005 I had this, which I would later sadly have to sell after having owned it for 12 years.  I think I've got over this now, I no longer want to buy it back... unless it's for sale and I have money burning a hole in my pocket, of course.

I would later go on to systematically ruin* this car by modifying it and I killed several kittens and half a convent of Nuns before we parted ways.  This Polo was last seen living in a field in Nottingham next to a ridiculous American car, but it's on SORN until Feb 2014 so it's at least not yet dead.

post-5335-0-34669700-1382124503_thumb.jpg

What a great idea for a thread - slightly worrying in a way though that 2005 is already 8 years ago.

P1010064_zpsd001d2e4.jpg

I had been driving this since 2002 - my first car, known as 'the beast' to my hilarious friends.  It built itself a reputation for being slow and chronically unreliable.  By times I sold it in March 2005, it looked shiny and was rust-free but was mechanically knackered.  It only lasted a few more months before getting cubed.  The chrome petrol cap was a stylish attempt to help seal the rusty fuel filler, petrol tended to piss down the side of the car otherwise.  By times this photo was taken for an advert, it was sealed with mastic.  

It was replaced with this:

Fiesta3_zps8ad44586.jpg

Which felt like the starship enterprise in comparison.  However, it later turned out it had been in a nasty accident in a past life and was never right, the passenger front tyre could be scrubbed bald on one edge in a few thousand miles and no amount of tracking and camber adjustments stopped it.  Riddled with niggly little faults and problems, it nonetheless saw me through a lot of changes in my life in the next 2 1/2 years.  

Eventually it was traded in to a Ford dealer against a W reg Focus in about 2007 when I got sick of it.  By then it had more electrical gremlins, a leaking radiator, tended to overheat due to a faulty heater valve, had rotten sills and was looking pretty rough for a 90k mile car.  I was amazed to see it still in use just a few months ago, albeit looking very unloved with filthy Zetec alloys and a thick coating of algae.

Eight years ago, I was mostly blezzing about in this.

CAR2.jpg

I absolutely loved it, despite it costing me a fortune to keep on the road.

Sadly, it was so shonkily built that I couldn't afford to get it through another MOT, and the bloke who bought it off me broke it. I understand that the 2.0 Turbo engine was going to end up in a Maestro (which must have been dangerous fun).

Eight years ago 2005, I'd had the 1303 for 20 years, the 944 for 11 years and the T2 for 9.

I still own all of the above.

It was to be another five years before I bought a Scirocco,

but it was the year I sold this....

pileofshit-vi_zps42de122e.jpg

This is a picture of a Trabant 601S next to a great big pile of shit.

For those of you not overly familiar with the joys of 2 stroke / column change madness, 

the pile of shit is to the right of this picture.

Trabant is apparently German for something like Satellite/Friend - I suspect it means 

a little bastard that won't leave you alone.

Six years we played together...

I'm still a little sad that VFK/Very Fine Kar is gone but

it was shite 

and I'd rather have been involved in a crash involving a damp cardboard box...

Eight years ago I didn't have a licence. So much time wasted.

That 16v BX looks amazing DW. Surprised you parted with that one.

It really wasn't amazing. It was a right ol' shonky shitheap with 170k on the clock. Absolutely flew though. I had to sell it as I just couldn't resist taking it beyond 4000rpm into the 'madness' zone. Sadly this very easily resulted in very naughty speeds. Sold it to a friend, who fairly swiftly moved it on. Then the rear suspension pretty much fell out because of how rotten it was...

Uber rubbish pic, but 8 years ago my daily was a 'modern'...

Avant-1_zpsc721ac2d.jpg

Took it on for the last 12 months of a 3 year lease - £199 per month.

It was 3.0 V6 pez Privilege spec. Thirsty, but nice to roll in... (Did 15k in a year!)

Was also playing boy racer with this:

Donnie4.jpg

Heady, pre-recession days indeed...(!)

2005 was a year of (relatively) great change for the Lobster fleet.

Sold this -

Posted Image

Shouldn't have as it was a very good one and needed relatively little doing. I was having one of those 'fed up of old cars' times though so it got sold.

Daily was this -

Posted Image

Which I actually loved. Company car as I was employed by an agency that had a Ford contract. Zetec 1.8 TDCi with climate pack. After 9 months and 28k I could have bought it very cheaply indeed. Wish I had.

Instead, I bought this -

Posted Image

Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf by Mr Lobster, on Flickr

Which I also loved. Lived up to all the Alfa stereotypes - unreliable, expensive but huge amount of fun. Another one I miss.

And after thirteen years of owning it, this went off to meet its maker. Waited too long to do anything with it which meant it was fairly rotten. Pity.

Posted Image

I was also rocking a 145 cloverleaf that was also unreliable and expensive but also fun.

Posted Image

In the first half of 2005 i was rolling around in a very tidy silver over grey sierra sapphire 2.0LX this got flopped on to a mate of a mate never to be seen again....or taxed :'(

I replaced it with a super mint 2.0 glsi sapphire in white (K125ANM), i loved that car it was immaculate, and easily my favourite car i've ever owned.

Unfortunately bravery met physics and physics won..........i ripped a lampost out the ground with it on 26/10/2006. It still pisses me off now, that i killed it trying to show off to some bird whos' name i can neither remember nor face picture.

In 2005 I'd not long passed my test, left school and got my first job. My transport was the beige Fiesta that I'm sure you've all seen. My sister used to hate me picking her up from school in it but it's still my favourite of the 4 cars I've had. Dad was running the same Vauxhall Zafira he still has now, and the hobby car was the orange Dolomite that I ended up driving after we sold the Fiesta.

2005 was a major turning point in my life , one which included in no particular order bankruptcy,house repossession ,arrest,6 year affair coming to light, bollock cancer and a brand new Galaxy and S Type being replaced with rusty Disco and V reg S80.

You know what? That tatty old Disco stayed with us till this year and was the best car I've ever had. The first time I drove it,it cheered me up and the fact that no one; creditors,HMRC, bailiffs was interested in taking it off me was a bonus, it was also the car I took my long suffering wife out for our first reconciliation date in. It made her realise I was serious about doing things legitimately and not trying to be a flash c*#*# as usual!