New Year Resolution Cars?

TrabbieRonnie

Anyone else daydreaming about owning a certain motor in '21, something gloriously unreliable, but irresistible?

I have to drive past a probably-abandoned 2005 RX8 most days, languishing on three flat tyres, with visible holes in the rear of the sills... obviously, this has given me the major wantz.  Low-ish mileage, but pretty ropey mot history... check.  Obviously not worth fixing (parked up for a year outside indie garage in Buckie), check.

But, very pretty blue colour... 'exotic' engine... check and check!

As we're all similarly afflicted at times I'm sure, what's everyone's 'must-haves' for the 2021 spring/summer season?

Bentley Mulsanne or Eight.  I drove an Eight and a Silver Spirit on the same day a few years ago and while the RR felt more comfy, my mother's maiden name was Bentley so it'll have to happen one day, won't it?  I would actually swop Huggy in order to do this!  Not that I can see queues of Bentley owners drooling over a shabby old Cadillac...

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Bentley Mulsanne or Eight.  I drove an Eight and a Silver Spirit on the same day a few years ago and while the RR felt more comfy, my mother's maiden name was Bentley so it'll have to happen one day, won't it?  I would actually swop Huggy in order to do this!  Not that I can see queues of Bentley powers drooling over a shabby old Cadillac...

My 'lottery win' car is a Bentley Continental Turbo, the boxy nineties one.  Would then proceed to charge around the Highlands, toff-bothering in grand style.  Great choice Eddy.

Think my Audi Coupe will become the swap for an RX8 if I find a good 'un, literally no space left for another car now.  

Great that Huggy is powering on into 2021 btw, big well done there.

2 hours ago, rob88h said:

When travel restrictions are lifted, I can't decide whether I'm going to keep my resolve and work on the stuff I've already got... or go mad buying tat left, right and centre to make up for lost time... I'm sure you'll all help in enabling me to make the right* decision.

This is the quandary I have. I really should spend on the cars I already have but hopefully have an early SD1 arriving tomorrow, so another ticked off the must have list. I really need to get rid of some of the boring modern tat so the Mondeo needs to go. I would really like an early Eclat or Elite before they get any more expensive. I want a 1600E but no rush for that as they are already big money. Porsche 924’s have come on my radar, mainly due to Incosistant and Tim E on here. My girlfriend agreed we could get rid of her Z4 for a 924 so that has to be a positive. I would eventually like to shift the Seicento (it is great but too new for me)and get an interesting small car such as a proper Fiat 500 or 70’s Mini but that is unlikely to be this year. 

My missis asked what my resolutions were. I told her that the 635 will be made to work and usable, reinstating at least 16% confidence that it can do a journey without some random system no one's ever heard of or worked on exploding in the most mind boggling way. If it won't have it then I will call time on it. One last push is all it's getting. I also want to get a drive put in which isn't as straight forward as it sounds.

So she said "is that it, just car stuff?" She's been in a mood ever since. I found my 2017 resolutions at the back of the kitchen shit drawer... There's 5, none have been achieved.

The land rover needs some love but keeps going and the Jag makes me smile 89.2% of the time. No need for new cars this year.

1 hour ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

I've a veritable list of wants,  a Bx would be nice but an allegro, princess or a nice boxy Volvo  wouldn't hurt.  Acquiring  some welding skills  is on the list  the latter will be influenced by the former.

I might be able to help you with one of those later in 2021...

Literally my only resolution was to (at the very least) get the shell of the Lada rust free and ready for the engine transplant.

If I can't get the K-Series to play ball, then I'm going to sort out the MG ZR and enjoy that for a bit. 

17 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

No need for new cars this year.

You take that back right now!  

8 minutes ago, barrett said:

I might be able to help you with one of those later in 2021...

A fool and his money are easily parted..  so obvs I'm listening 😁😂🤣 .

Though the reality is sort out a house -with a large garage (or space for) and car storage obvs. That last point is eliciting some serious tutting and  eye rolling from those close to me ..🤦‍♂️😁

Mine isnt a certain car per sey but my resolution was to have a kitty for shite cars. Say £1000 then buy something then after a few months put it on here as a roffle then do the whole thing over and again. While I'd love to be able to just buy cars and keep them all I am limited on space. My vitesse is in my garage and then 1 parking space on the drive(75 is currently taking up.)

I'd like to try as many shite cars as possible so this seems the correct way to do things.

But I would like a 740 estate this year. That's one car I am aiming for

Not much.

Finish the Toledo and get it on the road.

Will likely sell the LS400 in the late spring and buy something with an interesting engine configuration. I would like to tick as many of the following boxes as possible:

2/3/4/5/S6/V6/V8/V12/Boxer/Rotary/Turbo/Supercharger

(Only done the bolds so far which is pretty lame)

4 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Bentley Mulsanne or Eight.  I drove an Eight and a Silver Spirit on the same day a few years ago and while the RR felt more comfy, my mother's maiden name was Bentley so it'll have to happen one day, won't it?  

My mother's maiden name was Williams but I don't think I'll be getting one of those any time soon unless I won the Lottery, even then I couldn't fit in it because fat.  🙂

While there are several cars that I'd like to own the main thing for this year is to hopefully use the cars that I've got more once the restrictions are lifted. 

2 hours ago, Gerrymcd said:

Not much.

Finish the Toledo and get it on the road.

Will likely sell the LS400 in the late spring and buy something with an interesting engine configuration. I would like to tick as many of the following boxes as possible:

2/3/4/5/S6/V6/V8/V12/Boxer/Rotary/Turbo/Supercharger

(Only done the bolds so far which is pretty lame)

I forgot the Subaru had a boxer engine, which shows how much of an impression it made on me. 

This time last year I felt a strong urge to scratch the V8 itch by way of a CL500.

I then noticed that I could almost afford a Boxster, albeit a bit of a project rather than an immaculate one. Funds have been depleted a little recently, so its now less likely that I can get one. However I have a Man plan which makes a lot of economic sense.

At the start of the next tax year I may draw a bit out of my pension fund to help fund the Boxster dream. Perfectly sensible, yes ?

YOLO.

Must have for 2021: Volvo 740 - tick (bought 2nd January) 😎

Therefore resolution now is to spend as little as possible on the Mondeo, it owes me best part of a year.

Spend as little as possible on the Seat Ibiza, it owes us two years or decent resale.

Work my way though the snag list on the 740... There's nothing urgent and major, just enough to keep me busy and make it even beautifuller.

20210103_225141.jpg

I'm waiting for an F reg Sierra estate that my neighbour has - takes it for an MOT every year and that's about it. His daughter says he always talks about not feeling up to driving these days but he will not let it go... But she knows I'll give it the love it needs when the time comes :)

21 minutes ago, LeahStornes said:

I'm waiting for an F reg Sierra estate that my neighbour has - takes it for an MOT every year and that's about it. His daughter says he always talks about not feeling up to driving these days but he will not let it go... But she knows I'll give it the love it needs when the time comes :)

Oh wow that's an heirloom and a half!

Fingers crossed you get your hands on it before long.

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

My thoughts on Little Tin Khan are not fit for an open forum. Not even this one, where almost anything goes. 🙄

Think you should be directing this at the Blonde Cockwomble. The whole ULEZ thing is being rolled out nationally. 

God help you if you're in Bristol, they're banning diesels outright there, and I don't think Khan controls Bristol!