Jump to content

Optimistic mpgs, what's yours?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Was interested how accurate the reader was as I'm tight af and enjoy being a miser. It also helps my ocd to give me something to focus on until the next PD engined vag shite is listed for sale that is.

The very standard 1.4 polo from @UltraWomble seems to handle the miles well and doesn't drink a lot. I've had the bluemotion version which has longer gears, aero stuff and skinny tyres but never bothered getting a real life mpg figure. From memory it doesn't seem any more economical to this.

Anyway good weather makes us want to head to the coast and prefer the North West to Mansfield on Sea, aka Skegness so is an ideal route to test it out.

I'd rather sit on a motorway at a constant speed than all the clutch and braking work doing the snake pass. So basically A1, M62, M61, M6, M55 nice and steady. 

Screenshot_20260621_184304_Maps.jpg.ccff36ee54a5e86239b438edbc7c16ce.jpg

Brimmed it at Worksop  

20260620_194612.jpg.33a034c120be987acb247c42d193e059.jpg

and started the trip meter

20260620_193052.jpg.110502bbcdf9008fd964172a95677663.jpg

Had a pretty straightforward journey there but set off later than intented so plenty of traffic. Also used the air con for a bit so knew that would increase the load on the engine. 

Seaside achieved, free parking and some added tram action!

20260621_112457.jpg.d228093aceecf6056e4870edc99c9043.jpg

We found a half decent pub for some lunch and the dog wanted to get on onto the beach.

On the way down there was some mod meet going on. Not my thing at all but can appreciate the work thats gone in to it! Certainly enough to get the grannies moist....

20260621_135353.jpg.45b2a97a40eedc813c372fa3208eff91.jpg

Thankfully it was low tide and it worked out well. 

IMG-20260621-WA0000.jpeg.a3502fd919af0e1593f9824d23a12c49.jpeg

1000% worth the trip

20260621_114154.jpg.734390983b016de820fde5368fafb3c4.jpg

We headed back when the tide started approaching and after a much needed hydration break found a fuel station. 

That's for the first leg there....not bad but forgot to note the miles *doh*.

20260621_144548.jpg.d3fcdfda428e874d72e0681d74ec74f2.jpg

 Brimmed anyway

20260621_144542.jpg.5654e5d34e543c1fa80b08f6bd5bdbfc.jpg

The journey back was pretty kind to us but there was a fair bit of traffic and AC was very much used for bits of the journey. 

Stopped at the Esso half a mile from home and Brimmed the tank to get a figure for the return leg....

20260621_174137.jpg.5ee7d2b2e0d9c5b0a189e0ec3d838c02.jpg

20260621_174210.jpg.28d96d4936c929854e23c7cc9a46ccad.jpg

Right so the trip meter reading is saying 287.4 miles 

20260621_174740.jpg.c5e57050696a897471fc17646d72dd33.jpg

It's also indicating a ludicrously high mpg figure of 93.8mpgs and a range of 870!

20260621_111717.jpg.9049e3c26f676ce8ae646c0b6149465a.jpg

lets do the maths now to get a more realistic figure. 

Google has informed me that the formula is:

miles driven ÷ number of litres gives you miles per litre. Then multiply by 4.546 to give a figure in UK gallons

287.4/17.59 = 16.338 miles per L

16.338 x 4.546 = 74.28mpg

Cost of trip fuel is £29.98

Obviously it's only one journey there and back just motorways at a steady 60/65 mph ish and a skinny bloke and his dog. That said I'm very happy with that.

 

Posted

10287.jpg.48950df23a3d8faebfba5a297d3ca6e4.jpgdid a thing from manc to withernsea near hull

hull to sedgefield

sedgefield to berwick

berwick to ayr

ayr via dumfries to penrith

penrith home

1019 miles dash says 81 mpg

worked it oot 78.3

did here to dusseldorf via not much motorway via peaks lincs cambs east anglia sussex kent

2218 miles 80 mpg worked out to 78

bike might do 90? - in 5200 miles ive had 82 twice - not fun above 70 on motorway

also the speedo is highly accurate at indicated 65 gps is flicking between 62-63 - no japanese bike ive ever had has been like that 80 on the nc was real 72

  • Like 2
Posted

20260531_204556.jpg.3fc445d9a63a0e98a75aa19650440b94.jpg

For a 2.5 ton car with the aerodynamics of a bungalow, I thought the L322 did well.

3.0 diesel, NSL dual carriageway and motorway 90% of the way and with cruise on for most of that.

Posted
1 hour ago, Marshall2810 said:

16.338 x 4.546 = 74.28mpg

Cost of trip fuel is £29.98

That is superb real world economy from the Polo. 

My PD powered Caddy has showed 63 mpg on the computer, but the best real world figures over the last 5 years is 58. The long term average is just under 50.

My 2.0 tdi Passat estate has showed over 70 mpg on a steady motorway run, but again it is overly optimistic. 

Who would have thought that VW would tell porkies.....

  • Like 3
Posted
3 hours ago, captain_cal said:

Presented without comment.

IMG_1381.jpg.4925860559f3b003e878d218fae6413d.jpg

9.64 surely

Posted

Much as I hate the things I'm the first to admit that driven with restraint, a small-ish diseasel is capable of near three figure mpg readings. 
My best confirmed brim to brim figure was 65mpg pottering round Argyllshire in an old economy carb'd, high geared Renault 5GTL, often sitting behind one of Mundell's trucks at 50-55mph because I didn't have the oomph to overtake on a single carriageway road.

These things are relative, here's the result of a day's driving round Loch Lomond in a 300bhp Noobtuned Saab 9-5 Aero, mostly sensible driving but with the odd yee-ha moment when a clear straight road presented itself. :). 

 

PXL_20220924_150415560.jpg

  • Like 3
Posted

have seen 112 mpg from nc750x at 49.9999999 mph when needing to get to a petrol station

having been on reserve for 30 miles

  • Like 2
Posted

My Passat has an anomaly with the dash, shows wildly optimistic MPG average and instant. Any decent run sees it max out at 99.9 MPG, really it averages around 55. I can also stop with the engine running and still be showing a MPG on instant, although the average number will slowly drop at the same time.

Interestingly the live data from the OBD port appears correct, it's just the dash that lies. I kinda like it

  • Like 2
Posted

image.jpeg.e06b365a591d33b9c42400f64aea0629.jpeg

image.jpeg.59739b385b4a52aed97fd0a61e0f7d68.jpeg

So the Seat Arona 1.5TSI FR which I recently bought from my sister was showing the above - I've done a brim to brim and calculated its doing 48.71 ! ?  Sister lived in Bristol so was expecting a low average MPG, I live in  rural Somerset so have been dragging the MPG back up - I'll keep checking it ( I've got one of my dads diaries were he recorded every fill up and MPG - miss you old man )

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Somerset Suffolk said:

image.jpeg.e06b365a591d33b9c42400f64aea0629.jpeg

image.jpeg.59739b385b4a52aed97fd0a61e0f7d68.jpeg

So the Seat Arona 1.5TSI FR which I recently bought from my sister was showing the above - I've done a brim to brim and calculated its doing 48.71 ! ?  Sister lived in Bristol so was expecting a low average MPG, I live in  rural Somerset so have been dragging the MPG back up - I'll keep checking it ( I've got one of my dads diaries were he recorded every fill up and MPG - miss you old man )

Combined for a petrol that's pretty good going

  • Like 1
Posted

I got a repeatable 75-76 out of the one I got from you. Thats at normal motorway speeds 70-75mph. 65mpg at 85-90mph

  • Like 1
Posted

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

 

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

20260622_201904.jpg

Posted

Did a 300 mile round trip in the Ram this weekend, keeping 70-80 on the interstate.

20260622_183208.jpg.eb5b587961510359b1f6ca36988b046c.jpg

Jag for scale. Cat for scale of the Jag.

Got home and it was reading 23.6 (UK 28.3) and since pottering around here for a couple days it's dropped a little. 

20260622_183327.jpg.ff147aa0b2e45cbf7ac0acf6a5684968.jpg

23.3 (UK 28.0) still isn't bad for a 5.7 V8 loaded 4 up in a vehicle the size of a small block of flats.

 

Phil

Posted
1 hour ago, stuboy said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

 

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

20260622_201904.jpg

Years ago my boss had a V8 petrol Discovery . If you really floored it, the instantaneous read out could go as low as 1.8 mpg. At about the same time my Dad had a petrol Jeep Cherokee (4.0l). It wasn’t quite as bad but you could get below 5 when flooring it.

Posted
5 hours ago, PhilA said:

Did a 300 mile round trip in the Ram this weekend, keeping 70-80 on the interstate.

20260622_183208.jpg.eb5b587961510359b1f6ca36988b046c.jpg

Jag for scale. Cat for scale of the Jag.

Got home and it was reading 23.6 (UK 28.3) and since pottering around here for a couple days it's dropped a little. 

20260622_183327.jpg.ff147aa0b2e45cbf7ac0acf6a5684968.jpg

23.3 (UK 28.0) still isn't bad for a 5.7 V8 loaded 4 up in a vehicle the size of a small block of flats.

 

Phil

To be honest most of the four cylinder diesel pickups we drive in the UK don’t do more than about 35mpg (driven carefully) so that’s excellent. 
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Posted

petrol.jpeg.d022dabc39fce8908e01618636726c98.jpeg

I got 38.4mpg from this on a run yesterday. Someone had told me he got 40mpg from his, and I was skeptical, so I flicked my gearbox into Economy mode (changes nothing at all) and set cruise at an indicated 65. Working against me - trip was almost all uphill motorway, it was hot and I needed the windows open, and also I did increase the cruising speed after a while because I was getting bored. 

So, yes, 40mpg is doable. 

Posted

image.png.6a04b89f657d29624dda2b3f929448a6.png

Suzuki say I should get this.
Mixed driving (75% motorway, 25% A & B roads) Im getting 55MPG ( 3 tanks so far)
Which I dont rate badly by any stretch of the imagination as I have a lead right foot.

Still find this car quite hateful despite the economy.

  • Like 2
Posted

The C1 does do the quoted 60mpg .. except when you thrash it with 4 adults a dog and whatever other stuff can be stuffed in ,then it's down to the 50s .

Keeping the tyres hard , 34 psi helps 

  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, UltraWomble said:

Suzuki say I should get this.
Mixed driving (75% motorway, 25% A & B roads) Im getting 55MPG ( 3 tanks so far)
Which I dont rate badly by any stretch of the imagination as I have a lead right foot.

Still find this car quite hateful despite the economy.

55 sounds good for mixed driving. 

What don't you like about the Suzuki? 

Posted
44 minutes ago, MikeR said:

The C1 does do the quoted 60mpg .. except when you thrash it with 4 adults a dog and whatever other stuff can be stuffed in ,then it's down to the 50s .

Keeping the tyres hard , 34 psi helps 

Tyre psi can make a huge difference. My mk1 107 must have done around 60 but as you say if laden with folk it can really struggle but still achieve decent figures overall. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

petrol.jpeg.d022dabc39fce8908e01618636726c98.jpeg

I got 38.4mpg from this on a run yesterday. Someone had told me he got 40mpg from his, and I was skeptical, so I flicked my gearbox into Economy mode (changes nothing at all) and set cruise at an indicated 65. Working against me - trip was almost all uphill motorway, it was hot and I needed the windows open, and also I did increase the cruising speed after a while because I was getting bored. 

So, yes, 40mpg is doable. 

Your merc looks fab in the sun @Conrad D. Conelrad

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Posted
22 hours ago, Marshall2810 said:

Combined for a petrol that's pretty good going

Engine has an Eco Mode where it shuts down 2 cylinders under gentle load 

  • Like 2
Posted
6 hours ago, MikeR said:

The C1 does do the quoted 60mpg .. except when you thrash it with 4 adults a dog and whatever other stuff can be stuffed in ,then it's down to the 50s .

Keeping the tyres hard , 34 psi helps 

In 2012 , I picked up a new 107 in Hemel Hempstead and drove it back to Scotland. As it was new , I kept the speed down to about 55 ish which meant I was stuck behind a lorry most of the time. The slip stream effect resulted in 75mpg.

Posted

My blue clio dci has 70.8 mpg on the trip and thats normal mixed driving at the speed limit.  Uses nothing - same on my orange clio i recall making it deep into Germany on one tank. They are both ridiculously cheap to run.

My clio trophy that is 2.0 turbo on 980cc injectors works out to do 40mpg on a steady motorway run, insanely good on fuel for what it is.

My kangoo oem trip / mpg reading is on the piss now its on a standalone ecu. Said 99mpg the other day on the motorway, reset then 3mpg😆 It seems to be good on fuel however as done just under half a tank from Redcar-Runcorn, no idea what that works out at but acceptable for 2.0 turbo on 870cc injectors. Fuel gauge goes down as fast as the speedo goes up when flogging it.

Posted
17 hours ago, warch said:

To be honest most of the four cylinder diesel pickups we drive in the UK don’t do more than about 35mpg (driven carefully) so that’s excellent. 
 

 

Driven carefully, back roads at 45-55 mph this will return about 27mpg (32 UK). Turning the aircon off gains another 1-2mpg so overall it's not bad. 

The Challenger, driven similarly will do 32mpg (38 UK) which isn't bad considering it's a 6.4 liter engine. Along the flat at 45mph it will easily hold an instantaneous 39-40mpg (47-48 UK). 

My parents get about the same from their 1.6 liter Mazda 3.

 

Phil 

Posted
6 hours ago, PhilA said:

Driven carefully, back roads at 45-55 mph this will return about 27mpg (32 UK). Turning the aircon off gains another 1-2mpg so overall it's not bad. 

The Challenger, driven similarly will do 32mpg (38 UK) which isn't bad considering it's a 6.4 liter engine. Along the flat at 45mph it will easily hold an instantaneous 39-40mpg (47-48 UK). 

My parents get about the same from their 1.6 liter Mazda 3.

 

Phil 

My father in law in Australia still has a preference for old fashioned large capacity cars, although he has now chopped in the V8s for a V6 Stinger. They’d all do 30 plus mpg, auto and air con running constantly. 

Posted

being particularly sad i have a spreadsheet for MPG on all my cars that i then average to a lifetime MPG

the N Reg vectra
image.png.7222883ef61ea80c66c38d44694aca54.png

The green Cavvy
image.png.727f6adf2ea0f15867e0c5eb42a7ba7d.png

The Little van
image.png.6619db7ee8eebed50530793587d01aa8.png

the Vectra Estate
image.png.edc16f41b92f01309e9442525b89a83f.png

I am quite happy with the old un's but disappointed in the little van as its only a 20 plate and a 1.5 diesel combo that carries no weight 95% of the time

 

nb there are others but i dont want to bore you even more

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...