3 door sierra project.

Ianlea73

We have a place over in Spain & we've decided next year to semi retire & try the old 90 day on & off.

Now as much as I love it over here I can get bored a bit. I can't sit & melt in the sun & even though the idea of day drinking is fun, it gets boring quick!

So I need a project car to keep me busy.

Over the years I've looked at many an old nail that the people over here think are gold or they've been off the road for so long that the back taxes in purchase make it too much money anyway.

So long story short I got chatting to a local who knew of a sierra, no details no spec, just a sierra.

I love my 80's & 90's metal so I thought I'd take a drive by & a chance of a cheeky chat.

Anyway this is the car that I've bought.

It's a 1987 mk2 2 litre sohc efi.

Absolutely no rust in the chassis & never been welded underneath. Other than red sand the bottom is like new.

20240627_145224.jpg

20240627_140051.jpg

20240627_134926.jpg

20240627_134947.jpg

Phwoar.  

Along with the weather, the most appealing bit of living overseas (for me) would be easy access to dry, grot free chod without the various fan tax attached.

Well in.

41 minutes ago, Ianlea73 said:

We have a place over in Spain & we've decided next year to semi retire & try the old 90 day on & off.

Now as much as I love it over here I can get bored a bit. I can't sit & melt in the sun & even though the idea of day drinking is fun, it gets boring quick!

So I need a project car to keep me busy.

Over the years I've looked at many an old nail that the people over here think are gold or they've been off the road for so long that the back taxes in purchase make it too much money anyway.

So long story short I got chatting to a local who knew of a sierra, no details no spec, just a sierra.

I love my 80's & 90's metal so I thought I'd take a drive by & a chance of a cheeky chat.

Anyway this is the car that I've bought.

It's a 1987 mk2 2 litre sohc efi.

Absolutely no rust in the chassis & never been welded underneath. Other than red sand the bottom is like new.

20240627_145224.jpg

20240627_140051.jpg

20240627_134926.jpg

20240627_134947.jpg

That's cool.

What's the deal with back taxes?  If you buy something do you have to pay the equivalent of road tax for the years it was off the road?

5 hours ago, Erebus said:

That's cool.

What's the deal with back taxes?  If you buy something do you have to pay the equivalent of road tax for the years it was off the road?

Exactly that, so most cars up to 2 litre is €100 a year & I've seen old Citroen that have been off the road for 15+ years. Problem is the Spanish don't figure that into negotiation. 

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

That's a cracker.

Those modern Fiesta alloys actually somewhat work on it, too.

At least in my opinion anyway.

It would look better lowered but even that over here needs a homologation report which costs loads.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Looks a peach. Does it need much doing?

Basic things like a service. I won't to source a standard air box. It has a leak from crank pulley seal & sump gasket. Smokes a bit on cold but it came with Valve stem oil seals. 

Things like broken fuel line clips, gearbox mount etc 

• Like 1

Looks like it just needs a bit of tidying. Had a left hand wing going by the screws and lack of sealant to the slam panel.

Also those 90 spec rear lights are out of a saloon not a hatch - easy enough to rectify should you want to. I'd be fitting clear front indicators despite everyone seeming to love the orange ones

20 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Looks like it just needs a bit of tidying. Had a left hand wing going by the screws and lack of sealant to the slam panel.

Also those 90 spec rear lights are out of a saloon not a hatch - easy enough to rectify should you want to. I'd be fitting clear front indicators despite everyone seeming to love the orange ones

@Peter C here is proof up the page about loon vs hunchback lights