Astra Life.Or Death?

Dobloseven

It's that time of the year where my elderly cousin gets me to take his 06 reg Astra 1.8 auto estate for its MOT.It passed by the skin of its teeth last year after overheating during the test.It's only done about 300 miles since.He lives about 12 or so miles away in a small village.I went over on Tuesday evening to collect it,leaving my Renault at his.Thought I'd give myself a chance to check it over before booking a test.Driving it back ,noticed the oil level light coming on.After about six miles,it seemed to be struggling a bit,dropping to 2nd on a hill.Pulled into a lay by and temperature light came on, it's not got a gauge.The EML seems to be on regularly as well.Opened the bonnet,seemed pretty hot.Gingerly removed coolant cap,no sign of any coolant.He'd helpfully left a bottle of what I hope was water in the boot,so I carefully poured that in,with a bit of sizzling., Obviously needed more though.Petrol station within sight so drove slowly to it.Machine on forecourt dispensing 5 minutes of air and water for a pound.Put coin in,air but no water.Went into shop, told it wasn't doing water!Bought two 1.5 litre bottles of Evian which got the level about right.Ran it with the cap off for a bit to get rid of any air.Got home with no further issues.Needed a litre of oil to restore level.There's quite a blow on the exhaust and headlights very cloudy.He tried a restoration kit on them last year with mixed success.Started to flat them down ,but only got fairly rough wet and dry,but made a start.Tyres were all at 20psi,so sorted that.Made the decision to book test for 4pm today and accept it'll fail on the exhaust,but see what else it needs.Then devil got into me.More wet and dry and T Cut got the headlights much improved.Engine compartment was full of leaves,cobwebs and a snail I relocated to the garden.Henry soon got that looking better.Much green mould on the outside, virtually covering the rear lights.Good jet washing and shampooing and leathering with a real Chamois made from a dead animal I'd been given by the Ssangyong parts guy.Then Autoglym trim gel and tyre spray.Lipstick on a pig?IMG_20240605_182645139.jpg.af8d5b9ede9ffa06186578f4a539f32d.jpgIMG_20240605_182635987.jpg.c5720b75189fb4ed01bc3783b95d467d.jpgIMG_20240605_203011931_HDR.jpg.f97e0d5607983cea6d3cafaf9a79c462.jpg

Took it for a drive.Now seems to run quite nicely.Aldi code reader had got the EML off.Really he'll probably give up driving soon.He doesn't want to spend too much on it and seems to think I can find him another automatic car if need be for about a thousand.Good luck with that........

Coolant must be going somewhere.

See what it needs and hand it back and let your cousin make a decision. Personally I would not be spending much on it.

300 miles a year, how does your cousin get about the rest of the time? I would respectfully suggest making that their permanent mode of transport as that car is going to end up costing and for that mileage it is not good value (says me with 5 cars and zero commute 😂)

As you say, a small auto will be at least £1500. If your cousin does want a car, I wonder if that MK1 Focus is still for sale on here?

the petrol engines have a plastic spigot on the water pump housing which cracks and leads to coolant loss. My dad had one and it slowly dumped its water and dad didn't notice and it cooked it's engine in a big way.  Id look there first 

https://autoshite.com/topic/49127-astra-j-14-overheat-dead-or-pining-for-the-fjords/#comment-2512216

They're a decent old bus these, but iirc the automatics have some sort of wanky arrangement which ends up with water leaking from the radiator into the gearbox cooler.

4 hours ago, Kiltox said:

300 miles of taxis would surely cost less than tax, insurance, MOT, fuel etc? 

What I was about to say.

I'm planning on just getting an account with the local cab firm if I make it that far. Balls to driving - I can end my days in chauffeur driven luxury, and stop for a pint whenever I like

Well,not good,but could be worse,I suppose.Exhaust blow prevented emissions being tested,needs a central section.Both rear brake pipes corroded.They're the ones that come comple with hoses and brackets.Hand brake not good on one side.Regarding the coolant leak,I could see it dripping while it was on the ramp.Tester said it was one of the hoses to the heater matrix split.After I'd got it home again,no sign of any leak, despite leaving it ticking over for longer than the tester did.Probably worth either getting the MOT place to do it,or have a go myself.Going to get some parts prices and weigh up the options.Does look a tidy old thing though after my ministrations.Car Take back come up with 154 quid.His problem with taxis,is living out in the sticks.Where I live, there's more Ubers etc. than normal cars .Must be difficult,because he's been driving and had the use of a car since he was 17.I know my Dad didn't do much good after he gave up driving at 82.

22 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

They're a decent old bus these, but iirc the automatics have some sort of wanky arrangement which ends up with water leaking from the radiator into the gearbox cooler.

We had that on my partner's, had a new radiator and the box flushed but it not long after, shame as is wasn't a bad car.

Well,the road to recovery begins.Worked out it was going to be cheaper and easier to get the exhaust done at my regular tyre place,so that's sorted this morning.While it was there, started to leak again.Worked out it's the snap on connectors for the heater matrix,that of course are integral with the hose.Both have got the green locking ring broken.They're dealer only and one is obsolete.Ordered what I thought might do on the internet from the promisingly named Vauxcentre.Guy phoned me up to say they're the wrong ones.Said to send them anyway as it's only really the connector I need,and should be able to sort something.Going to have a go at the brake pipes and handbrake this afternoon and have bought It's not a bad little car really,had a look at prices on the internet and traders asking mega money for such things.Does anyone actually buy them ,I wonder?Even WBAC came up with 715 quid.

• Like 3

They seem to take some abuse those 1.8. My in laws have one, it’s been run out of oil numerous times, it’s never not once been serviced in the last 6 years they’ve had it, cambelt roulette etc. It’s daft to my mind as it’s used for a business and it’d cost thousands in lost earnings if it blew up but it’s fuck all to do with me so I let them get on with it. 

15 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Glad it's going to live and make a car again. I hate seeing things thrown away.

Got the brake pipe/hoses done on one side.Unfortunately found that the lack of handbrake on one side was due to a seized cable.Found out the cable comes in one piece for both sides.Looks like the freshly fitted exhaust will have to be dropped to remove the heat shield it disappears behind.Bugger!Some issues getting a cable.GSF couldn't help.Parkers tracked one down and should have it today.Due to being an estate with rear discs apparently.Perhaps we should have just scrapped it,but in too deep now.Probably end up costing about 350.Add on say,150 scrap value and suppose we've got a years automatic motoring for 500 quid though.Hopefully he'll donate it to me when he gives up driving.Would be good to have my oldest son helping,but his partners mum is terminally ill and he needs to support her.Kind of puts car problems in perspective....

• Like 3

Nice to see an unloved Vauxhall Astra being given a bit of love, seriously. 

Due to demise of my Jag, I now have a Vectra estate which I'm doing the same with. It was described as tired so breathing some life back into it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Nice to see an unloved Vauxhall Astra being given a bit of love, seriously. 

Due to demise of my Jag, I now have a Vectra estate which I'm doing the same with. It was described as tired so breathing some life back into it.

Pics of the vectra? I miss ours and it's still on the road.

Not so sure it wants any love!Seem to be fighting me.Started to do the brake pipe/hoses on the other side,feeling confident after the first side went well.First of the brake pipe going across the back snapped when I started to  undo the union, having rusted under the plastic coating.Will try to get another made up ASAP.Then the set screw holding the pipe bracket to the hub snapped off.Have drilled it out and will use a screw and a nut the other side.The heater hoses have arrived and should be able to make them fit.Handbrake cable is ready to pick up,but arrived too late for me to go today.Do not envy people who do this for a living and have to tell the customer there'll be extra cost and delay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I miss seeing these rep-mobile Vectra B's quietly going up the outside lanes on motorways at 110mph.

• Like 1

Don't want to be a miserable bstard, but if your old cousin, has to pay a garage to fix it, would he have the money ? If so, why are you doing the work ? 

2 hours ago, New POD said:

Don't want to be a miserable bstard, but if your old cousin, has to pay a garage to fix it, would he have the money ? If so, why are you doing the work ? 

Maybe I like the misery!Good point.though.Mot place couldn't look at it until Tuesday/Wednesday and didn't seem all that keen anyway.Plan was getting the exhaust done while I wait,fit brake pipes myself,free off or replace caliper while I'm at it.Hoses shouldn't have been much bother.WCPGW? Should have actually been less trouble than taking it somewhere,getting a lift home, getting a lift to pick it up........Plus waiting for the phone calls,"We've just found......"and "It'll also need......"

9 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

20240602_063059.jpg.dd3f367254be275cb87165447eac8c26.jpg

20240602_063043.jpg.f0a8f1453f17fa95eb31a22f9f5352d0.jpg

I really like this. Especially with those wheels.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, PicantoJon said:

SHOCKER.

Just because you're bitter that you pay more road tax for less cylinders! 🫣

Got it back on its wheels.Went to pick the handbrake cable up from Parkers about 9.30.I'd asked them yesterday if they made up brake pipes.Said they would,but depending on how busy they were with customers.Was going to say to do it when they'd got a minute and ring me when it was done.Luckily shop was empty so he did it while I waited.By the time he'd done it,there was six people waiting to be served.About the only luck I've had with the wretched thing.Can't seem to get the heater hoses off and managed to snap the plastic vacuum pipe to the brake servo at the manifold end.Thought I might be able to shorten it a bit,but it's gone very brittle so I need to replace it.To add insult to injury,MrsD reversed her car onto to the drive whilst I was underneath with my legs sticking out fitting the brake pipe.Fortunately the back wheel hit the DeWalt impact wrench before it hit me.Doesn't seem a bit sorry about it either.

• Sad 2

Well, it's done.Took it for retest on Monday, passed but still leaking coolant intermittently.On the way back potential tragedy struck . Route home took me past a large secondary school at chucking out time.Cars parked nose to tail on both sides of the road by school entrance.Small child comes out between two cars,bump,catches nearside front corner of car lands in road.Didn't seem too badly hurt initially.Gets up,but limping and bump on head.School staff on scene instantly and very good and sympathetic towards me, realising I had no chance to do anything different ly.Childs parents who were  just up the road appear and immediately become very aggressive towards me and the school staff.Child is put in a car. Astra is blocking road,so school guy asks me to move it into a now vacant space along the road.Childs mother thinks I'm leaving the scene and stands in front of car banging on the bonnet.Abuse continues and eventually I snap saying they don't seem to give a shit about the child,just want compensation.Parents who don't have English as their first language,go berserk."You say my child is sheet,you say my child is sheet!".He then goes on "I have children,you no have children!"."Actually mate, I've got eight fucking children and I tried to make sure they didn't get hit by cars!".By now it's all being filmed by the school kids who think it's a great laugh,so I step back and let him continue to abuse the school staff with claims of racism.Rain cools everything down,child is put in ambulance for treatment, police eventually appear,dad gets his story in first telling them what he thinks I said, car checks out ok, I'm breathalysed for the first time ever.They say it's unlikely anything will come of it.and go on my way Something didn't seem quite right when I thought it over.Child wasn't in school uniform,was quite small,and was trying to cross the road to get towards the school.Phone the school up next day to enquire as to childs health and am told she was fine and not to worry ,but wasn't a pupil and had gone with her parents to meet an older sibling out.Apparently dad had been told off about his behaviour towards myself and the school staff and that he'd misunderstood what I'd said.Anyway,back to the Astra,the hoses I'd assumed would fit, wouldn't,so I took to the O rings out and put them in the old hoses, drained the system,put 3 litres of Drivetec anti freeze in that leaves a bright pink stain if it leaks and all seems ok.Not a bad little car really.Total spend's been just over 350, including the test,so assuming the scrap value was 150,a 500 pound motor.Taking it back tomorrow so hopefully that's the end of it for a while.

Some useful pointers in this thread - Im trying (very trying) to rescue a Astra G van from work - its sat for over a year and whilst it looks pretty solid I have no doubt there will be similar shit waiting to vomit on me if I ever manage to let the jail sell it to me.

I saw a similar walking pace knock outside my kids school last year. Kid walked straight out from behind a parked car looking behind him, from my angle it was obvious but the Honda crv who was idling out of a parking space further down the road had no chance. 

We didn't have any of the angry shouting etc, the kid got up, said he was OK to the driver and went on his was but I did go up to him after and gave him my mobile and name incase anything ever came of it, I'd be a witness for him and on his side. Never heard anything. 

I've struck it into my children's soul not to run out on the road hopefully now. I see Charlie running around our dead end road with his friends out the window and he always does pause before running out whilst they blindly scatter around. 

Well,I breathed a sigh of relief last night when I took it back to him and picked the Renault up.I'd filled it up with Costcos finest,left him some oil I'd got left over from other cars and mixed him a few litres of antifreeze for topping Hopefully that's it for a while.Kind of enjoyed doing it in a perverted sort of way,giving something another chance,and he'll probably give it to me if he gives up driving anyway.