Golfing with Ghosty: a pineapple persuasion

Ghosty

On 04/06/2024 at 15:06, Ghosty said:

Golf's downpipe is shagged!

Nowhere has exactly the right part, aside from an Autodoc Polmor special. Errr, no thanks.

I know what to do.

Local power flow dealer?

They'd just make a new stainless one to the old pattern.

7 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Yeah, they're some sort of standard 4x130 Beetle steels. The rears have been banded to something like 7-8j.

I've got a set of 4x130 to 5x120.65 (iirc, may be 5x114.3) adapters sat doing nowt if fancy wheels are desired... 

1 hour ago, Tayne said:

Local power flow dealer?

They'd just make a new stainless one to the old pattern.

Don't really have the money for that, I can fit the manifold myself.

Turns out the discs and pads are done, and the top mounts are shot too, so I need to put the money into that. :(

Beetle's running bloody well now it's charging, it's a 1600 with ported heads, twin Webers, Empi intake manifolds and exhaust. (1641?)

Golf:

image.jpeg.6b0b4b50ea822a668c1b2d445a5660c1.jpeg

Yeah, that's fucked. Cut it off:

image.jpeg.6e90e8af621fdbd8bc600db4d3b9edd5.jpeg

Managed to get it out without dropping the subframe as the heatshield is cack - you could almost say it was EZ.

Just need to get the end of it out of the centre section now, and unbolt the upper manifold.

Heater matrix has arrived and there are a couple of coolant weeps to sort, so I think I'll do all that while the car's on stands.

image.jpeg

On 04/06/2024 at 23:00, Ghosty said:

Right, I've stuck a repair bandage on it, and so far so good. Have ordered a cheapo stainless manifold as the only other option is a Polmo one from Autodoc that would take ages to arrive, and probably be a bit shit.

Will a 4-1 branch mani from a 1.8 8v EX engine (MK2 Scirocco) fit? I have one that's been sat in my shed for years that happy to do a deal on. The engine it was for is no longer in the car (also on my garage floor).

Those gear linkage bushings are shit. Get some poly ones if you can.

1 hour ago, Coprolalia said:

Will a 4-1 branch mani from a 1.8 8v EX engine (MK2 Scirocco) fit? I have one that's been sat in my shed for years that happy to do a deal on. The engine it was for is no longer in the car (also on my garage floor).

Those gear linkage bushings are shit. Get some poly ones if you can.

I’ve already acquired a cheap 4-1 but that should fit in theory yes. What’s it like/how much…

I’ll look into the gear linkage bushes when I have a bit more money… next update when I’m back home (can’t upload photos on phone). 

35 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I’ve already acquired a cheap 4-1 but that should fit in theory yes. What’s it like/how much…

I’ll look into the gear linkage bushes when I have a bit more money… next update when I’m back home (can’t upload photos on phone). 

I did em (linkage kit) on the mk3 I had ghosty. Ebay kit from memory for not much and a piece of piss job. Massive improvement straight out the box 👍

It’s already had the bush kit and a linkage rebuild, that was done with the clutch! I think the stabiliser bush got pulled out when I reversed up my street to park, there’s a protruding kerb stone and I think I caught the shifter rod on it and pulled the bush out. I’ve got one to replace it. 

One of the water gallery core plugs in the inlet manifold has been bodged with silicone:

image.jpeg.02a0c25511eaaed286b4bd10ec34529a.jpeg

so I've ordered replacements for while that's off.

The carb base gasket is rotten (JP Group part, go figure) so that's on order too.

The core plugs in the block have been replaced already:
image.jpeg.850261ce8a70740cc7fdfc80eef209e5.jpeg

Drained the coolant for the water gallery, and the heater matrix. The thermostat housing is weeping (needs sealant) and the fan switch housing is also leaking a bit and needs some PTFE tape, so it's all getting done at once.

Removed the lower dash trays to get to the heater box.

image.jpeg.fd2c629828627f6b0fbbb6144bfc8972.jpeg

There's a rusted screw in the centre console housing that I'll have to use the dremel to assist in removal. While I'm in there I'm going to change the 12v socket to switched live using the same orange wire (above) to the relay panel that provides a switched 12v feed.

At this point, it was a perfect time to remove the non-functional alarm and all the extraneous wiring.

image.jpeg.e7f040a7037a5088f52422b597eec157.jpeg

Ugh.

image.jpeg.62cba8dbaec49ab2cdf98278fb196e6f.jpeg

image.jpeg.333b02dbeb5f6d58366053940ca58835.jpeg

That huge steel bracket was holding the alarm siren into the engine bay.

image.jpeg.43ffa329451dbf31b30402c3b36ddcdd.jpeg

Much better.

The alarm had two PIR sensors in the speaker grilles on the dash, so while I had them out I rewired the dash speakers with some proper speaker wire I had knocking about, for a hifi install I never bothered with.

image.jpeg.2a92fc3f4be27efa7553e1ec0b98c184.jpeg

I'm sick of the weather now, so I'll probably carry on tomorrow.

Quite pleased also to find the steering column held in with Allen bolts- means someone has already had the lower half out, replaced the shear bolts and done the lower bearing :D

Not much news today as I spent most of today on tip runs, and selling all my CDs to Music Magpie.

Manifolds are off the Golf now, the water gallery in the inlet had a bit of silt in it.

Centre console is out, but I've run out of connectors so I'm as far as converting the 12v socket to switched live.

Test fitted the new 4-2-1, the centre section will need shortening to fit it, but given it's a straight pipe, that's fine. As suspected, and as others have experienced on the mk2 Golf FB page, it doesn't quite mate up to the block yet - doesn't foul on anything and the subframe isn't in the way, but it's at the wrong angle - the front engine mount - a torque mount that sits fore of the engine and hangs on the front crossmember, is too baggy and I think it's letting the engine lean forward further than it should. The replacement is on the way, so I'll have to do that before I can fit it. Waiting on core plugs and other gaskets too, so in the meantime I'll do the heater matrix and top mounts, and the front brakes when they arrive.

• Like 4

I did the music magpie thing with my dvd collection a few years ago. 
Took me an entire weekend to sort it. 😵‍💫

19 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I'll do the heater matrix and top mounts, and the front brakes when they arrive.

Sorry I must have missed the plan with the front brakes. A simple and easy upgrade to 8v GTi front brakes is to simply buy 8v GTi vented front disks and GTi pads. The GTi disks are obviously thicker but the GTi pads are thinner. That's all you do, I did it on mine years ago. Calipers and everything are same on the 1.6.

6 minutes ago, bigfella2 said:

Sorry I must have missed the plan with the front brakes. A simple and easy upgrade to 8v GTi front brakes is to simply buy 8v GTi vented front disks and GTi pads. The GTi disks are obviously thicker but the GTi pads are thinner. That's all you do, I did it on mine years ago. Calipers and everything are same on the 1.6.

No plan, they're just f'd so I got new Apec discs and pads from PIM for £35.

That's good to know though, cheers! I'll get those next time.

Despite being a bit ill with a Music Magpie-induced sinus infection, I've had a burst of motivation today.

Test fitted some new Hella horns on the Civic, which is tantalisingly close to being a runner now:

image.jpeg.e85e81c30aa201e27fe9d45db75d16d2.jpeg

They're gonna look good.

I also cracked on a bit with the Golf. As the centre console is out, I redirected the 12v feed for the lighter socket to my switched live feed. I massively prefer switched lives on those, so I can leave things plugged in and not have random +12v knocking about when the car's off.

But mainly, I got on with the big job - heater matrix. Rotten foam everywhere:

image.jpeg.c4803367547977456fdd991b286d775a.jpeg

An old lighter fell out as I was removing the heater ducting:

image.jpeg.cab4da380e234b03ed4b160bad8ca354.jpeg

and after about 2 hours of faffing:

image.jpeg.50931624d5d1f4ccb18e892ad609c421.jpeg

it's out. Covered in leaves and cack, and with very poor water flow, it's clearly blocked badly. It's the original.

The bypass valves are a VW recall item to stop the matrix leaking in the footwell, apparently with the revised mk3 type matrixes (the only kind you can buy now) they aren't necessary, but we'll see, I'm not deleting them just yet.

Reassembly can wait for another day, I'm now relaxing with a Tesco own brand Lemsip approximation which tastes like drinking melted Strepsils.

58 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

You'll have to replace the foam on the air direction flaps while you're in there.

Yep, the matrix came with a gasket and there is what appears to be another in the glovebox. The big one over the 'door' has completely gone though, will have to make something up for that.

image.jpeg.d53a52d50fcef0454b0a8580ebeb56b9.jpeg

Not much today, rainy and knackered. I hoovered up all the foam, and gave the car its lighter back.

I replaced the switch blank by the lights for a clean one, to delete the milky, non-functional alarm LED.

image.jpeg.f20806459df54b7356783de4c63d0823.jpeg

• Like 3

After 750 miles in 24 hours in a rented Transit, back to it.

image.jpeg.0ce3d0a0184ef9647e98e31aae28852b.jpeg

Foam in the heater box.

image.jpeg.5dc7539353820d8e306c1443bb538235.jpeg

and in.

image.jpeg.99b2a3637f1494cc82edf1dca66f2a44.jpeg

Gear linkage bush replaced and correctly seated - when I'd had to push it back in, it was poking out of the back of the holder, somehow it'd pulled through completely.

image.jpeg.86a0ed420a054d31882cb75fe02be841.jpeg

12v switched conversion sorted with an inline fuse added.

Discs/pads and top mounts done too. The slider bolts were all fucked so new bolts and boots will be ordered at some point, and at the same time GTI discs and pads can go in.

Stopped for dinner.

image.jpeg.b77b25f87d615a211088cfb80be49109.jpeg

Starting to look like a car again.

Heater ducts are in, new foam gaskets made up, centre console in, new shifter boot (rubber - C/CL specific). Rewired one of the rear speakers but the remaining length of cable's about 2ft too short so I'll get some more tomorrow.

Just the manifolds to get back in now, and seal up a couple of coolant weeps, then the steering wheel can go back on, and she's a runner again.

image.jpeg.03b4205c37c82ca86062d078ddf0777e.jpeg

Let's 'ave ya.

Had to drop the subframe and remove a wishbone to get that in (don't worry it's not touching the steering boot now, going to shield it).

No, that's not the original oil cap. It fits though, was there when I got the car.

image.jpeg.aa09a90268df5564f8caee20d3d1e58a.jpeg

Dash is back in. Speakers all rewired and sounding a lot better!

image.jpeg.ef5860d4373f4414a0cbde2f78663f6a.jpeg

Airhorn! This is on a piggyback loom off the original horn spades - the standard horn is also still connected... there was a convenient threaded post on the strut tower that the mounting nut for the conmpressor threaded onto.

The radiator mounting bolts sheared.... need to replace those tomorrow.

Thermostat is back in and properly sealed with RTV.

Manifold needs clamping to the centre section, and the inlet needs to go back on, and we'll be DONE.

2 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Says Flood damage.

Yeah, for the footwell leak. Think it was a blocked drain as it's leaked on me once, not done it again. It says 'front end' too but it's clearly not been crashed and seems to have a duff bonnet catch in the pics, as the one on the car appears to be a recent replacement.

Well,looking at the last pic you posted,the front wing is fitted incorrectly,it should be under the slam panel not on top,plus the rubber bonnet bump stop mid way on the wing is missing too.

But it's an old car,these things are par for the course really.

22 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Well,looking at the last pic you posted,the front wing is fitted incorrectly,it should be under the slam panel not on top,plus the rubber bonnet bump stop mid way on the wing is missing too.

But it's an old car,these things are par for the course really.

Wings are both pattern, look like they were replaced when the car was resprayed some time ago. I reckon that's a fitting error. Will correct that at some point, it explains why the grille fit poorly when I got it.

~

No news today as I've been a bit flummoxed - the steering column has play still (lower bearing I reckon, I looked again and I think it still has the shear bolts - I have the lower bearing so I might see about replacing it), the exhaust needs a reducer sleeve for the new manifold as there's 1/4" difference from the downpipe to the centre (in the post), and the inlet manifold is fouling on the exhaust manifold. Conveniently, I had a tattoo appointment today so I wasn't at a loose end.

All quiet on the Golf front, the exhaust sleeve arrived but the downpipe is slightly oversize so I'm in the process of massaging the sleeve to fit over it.

Civic has new horns, and I've installed a better numberplate bracket:

image.jpeg.287e9782b3049db53bdcfbdf209134aa.jpeg

I could in theory get either one of them running tomorrow.

Choices...

• Like 3