Ultimate classic shite boughted

Rocket88

My goodness that’s quite something. Please feed my bumper obsession with more details of these. Are they standard issue?  Are they beige painted metal? Plastic inserts? Or has the original chrome been painted body colour? Either way they look quite futuristic for 70/71!

I know it only went for 4k + fees at Mathewsons, but just had a run through all the pictures + video and by eck is there some bodywork going to be needed on it. I know they said it in the auction video but they film it in such low quality that its hard to tell from it.

All I can say is good luck! Should be a good weldathon restoration thread to watch unfold. 

This arch is very wobbly where it's full of filler and badly sanded.

663655407_11708-191.thumb.jpg.a7796067085d2156abaae62caa283c19.jpg

1177477468_11708-211.thumb.jpg.16df12fd3f4fbe528412fff242c6d582.jpg

I'm not quite sure what happened on the blow over and how they managed to get the trim. Or maybe its filler on that trim.

327818424_11708-371.thumb.jpg.aa6acebcbf0884ab7bbc6063be5cf6e4.jpg

Don't catch the front valance and that front lip looks rather fragile.

1580936078_11708-411.thumb.jpg.6ad1c41f42cbfade3c9dec3c686c664b.jpg66903310_11708-421.thumb.jpg.26abaf42efaa53d1dbe90a39173c2039.jpg

Bottom of the doors are rather crispy

296533530_11708-71.thumb.jpg.1bb84f19ae9cc2a58d843b6a7bd3e7cf.jpg 

• Sad 3

Marvellous! I wondered if I'd seen it at any of the old Billing JAE shows, but I can't immediatly find anything. Have this brochure shot instead, same colour too:

1972-ish Toyota Crown Custom Estate

Edit: And the back page too....

1972-ish Toyota Crown Custom Estate

Cross-ply tyres!

Ooh. And it's in high build primer colour for easy touch ups.

Late 80s we had a customer that owned a saloon. I'm not sure where he was from, Austria or Germany perhaps but he had a graveley, shouty voice and would come in and ask for spark plugs for his "Toyota Zoopa Clown!"

Made us chuckle after he had left.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

OJF, Leicester registration.Possibly bought from John Barwell Motors on Catherine Street. Now an Asian Supermarket. 

Appropriate! Stunning car tho.

These are incredible. A mix of everything - it's like they're trying to appeal to American families with the space and column shift, Japanese with the futuristic styling, and sold in the UK (this one complete with a very BL-shade of beige) where they all instantly rotted to nothing. They've aimed at everything and somehow missed it all - and we end up with a car that is inexplicably massively appealing to weirdos like us. What a car!

More pics, please :)

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

OJF, Leicester registration.Possibly bought from John Barwell Motors on Catherine Street. Now an Asian Supermarket. 

Fun fact; My Dad once fell off a ladder on Catherine street and was so annoyed he has avoided driving that way into Leicester for the last 50 years. 

Anyway - MORE PICS! Please.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Fun fact; My Dad once fell off a ladder on Catherine street and was so annoyed he has avoided driving that way into Leicester for the last 50 years. 

Anyway - MORE PICS! Please.

Even more fun fact. There used to be, or perhaps still is, a company that sold ladders on one of the terraced side streets off Catherine Street. 

What a find. I bet these were rocking horse poop when new on these shores. I don't think I've ever seen one in the metal. Good man for taking it on. As you say, pump it within an inch of its life with cavity wax and just enjoy the thing. 😎

More photos…. Closer inspection reveals the main bodgery is confined to the two rear wheel arches and the front valance.

Hands up who knew these were not a monocoque….. built on a chassis

It’s actually very solid in the important bits…..

Extra shite points for guessing what the round knob next to the fag lighter in the back does….

A79A8AAD-CA66-45D8-9AF4-73E00D0D9FAB.jpeg

DF2A063E-8A83-49B2-A950-F1609D6AA326.jpeg

B9E3E77C-D48E-41C3-BA34-F8BC3393E449.jpeg

8253497F-5369-4CFE-A256-43C57F0DF20E.jpeg

E3445524-B6E8-4BD1-9D99-F63BDDF4756D.jpeg

EFD46373-EFE8-4D3C-982A-86913005CEEF.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

Extra shite points for guessing what the round knob next to the fag lighter in the back does….

Volume control for the rear speakers?

3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Volume control for the rear speakers?

Close…. It’s actually a volume control for the radio itself…. Which is a bizarre bit of kit. If you press the autoseek button, the manual tuning knob also wizzes round!

A chap in the Toyota club has had one for many years:

1973 Toyota Crown Custom Estate

Like the white one above, it's the lightly facelifted model with a token effort at making the bumpers look more conventional, but I prefer the full body-coloured versions of the original.

A coupe version is one of the first Japanese cars I remember before I got to learn a bit more about such things. Who could ignore that distinctive stying?!

I think several generations of the subsequent models persevered with the separate chassis.

I have a vague recollection that the original carb could be a bit temperamental and one off a big Datsun '6' was a more reliable alternative.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:18 PM, inconsistant said:

My goodness that’s quite something. Please feed my bumper obsession with more details of these. Are they standard issue?  Are they beige painted metal? Plastic inserts? Or has the original chrome been painted body colour? Either way they look quite futuristic for 70/71!

This is a phase one model…. Bumpers were body colour, later ones were chromed.