I buy the cheapest MOT'd Mk5 golf in the UK. That escalated quickly...

DaveDorson

These things have started winking at me from the classifieds, as I'm within range of Bradford, Rochdale etc there are a wide variety of quality/probably fucked ones to choose from at reasonable prices.

I wanted to ask about traction, with it being FWD. Do you find that you can get the power down OK? I moved from a FWD to a quattro A4 as it was always spinning the wheels.

I could probably get an S3 8L or maybe even stretch to an 8P (perhaps a non-S tfsi quattro) so wanted your opinion on whether 4wd/haldex is something you feel would make it better.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

These things have started winking at me from the classifieds, as I'm within range of Bradford, Rochdale etc there are a wide variety of quality/probably fucked ones to choose from at reasonable prices.

I wanted to ask about traction, with it being FWD. Do you find that you can get the power down OK? I moved from a FWD to a quattro A4 as it was always spinning the wheels.

I could probably get an S3 8L or maybe even stretch to an 8P (perhaps a non-S tfsi quattro) so wanted your opinion on whether 4wd/haldex is something you feel would make it better.

Not my thread but I've driven a few of these with a map on (in the dry tho)

Boost is limited in 1st and 2nd IIRC, so the power is actually pretty usable, you don't feel like you have to tiptoe around to keep from lighting the wheels up.  In 2nd you can floor it and the car will put the power down unless you do something silly.  You do have to "wind it on" a bit coming out of corners hard or it'll light the inside wheel up in 2nd and 3rd. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

From my 1.8t 180bhp experience on the TT, the quattro makes it able to dump the power down fully without wheel spin and traction control intervention. The 2.0TFSi FWD TT Mk2 DSG I had (so basically a Golf GTi in a stiffer chassis) was always having the traction control fighting to stop it wheel spin when setting off smartly. I used to find it pretty annoying.

Personally I'd go for a A3 2.0TFSi quattro. I've been seriously think of changing my TT for one earlier this year. Basically the same power as the GTi but quattro and also a lot cheaper to buy (up to around half the price). Personally I think the interiors are nicer too. Bit of a Q-car in comparison. 

Possibly not as good handling as setup more for comfort? But given the same chassis, I'm sure it's more than possible to set it up just like a GTi.

5 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

I'm sure the Michelin PS4s, the PU bused wishbones and proper alignment help with mine but yea, traction is absolutely fine.  When it's wet I will light the fronts up a bit off the odd roundabout and when pushing on, especially on the broken roads of the UK but mines only got a baby k03s turbo and stage 1 tune so it's not really enough to warrant the added weight, complexity etc of a haldex setup.

The real revelation on this compared to golfs I've had before is the multi link rear suspension I'm sorting now though, it's nicked from a ford focus MK1 and as such it's much better for being complaint and keeping the back end in check until you provoke it round with a dab of brakes and then it's very controllable.

I tend to drive on the road with the traction control on, which also stops be ending up on my roof upside in a hedge and it keeps the front tyres from igniting every time I stab the pedal in the wet, but even if I do turn it off it's still not an uncontrollable smoking mess of understeer in the same way my mates Astra VXR is.

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Wow, proper job there! Do it once do it right 👌 Wish I had the stones/space to do stuff like this 

I'm in my early 40s now but I've had my time under cars bodging them together in all weathers on a Sunday as I needed it to get to work on Monday.  

I'm now in a really fortunate position in that my job lets me rent a fucking great barn and buy tools for the place so I don't need to do that anymore, it's not my "job" working on cars, (I'm in Cyber Security for a living) but it does keep its own arse clean in terms of doing the odd paid job for other people so I don't have to spend my wages on it every month and live off beans and instant noodles.

I plan on keeping the car it's as easy to take it apart and get it all sorted in one to as it is to do it peace meal, especially with the scissors lift to help.

Same, whilst I'm still not rich I'm better off than I have been, it's a nice feeling to change parts before they fully wear down nowadays at ones leisure rather than as you say, a 72h deadline where all shops are shut for 3/4 of that so don't fuck it up 😂

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Nearly had a bid on this but held off at the last second as: far, not the best MOT history, and 308k (VIDEPRINTER: THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHT THOUSAND) miles.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155819786879

I think if you buy the wrong Mk5 golf you're going to hate yourself.

Remember they do rot, the engines need looking after right, they're not really a fan of irregular servicing and you need to do a bit more than just oil and filters when you're running one too, they coke up the heads and valves with cheap fuel, etc etc.

Mine came with three folders full of recipient for most of the expensive bits, lots of oil changes with the right filters and expensive oil, clutch, flywheel, suspension stuff etc and it was still in need of a bit of work.

It's a lot of fun though 

• 5 months later...

I forgot to update this...uh yeah it's MOTd and back in use again, new bushes, drives as expected although I did get an advisory on the balljoint so I'll change it this weekend. 

I am a bit annoyed as I booked it in with the wrong MOT tester when I got it done, the combination of having to pay a fine for driving in a bus lane in Cardiff, having awful man flu and being absolutely burned out due to work meant I got my Bs in Lincolnshire mixed up so it went to the place that uses a rumbler on their lift to check for play and wear rather than my usual chap who's a lot more mechanically sympathetic and can check using bars like a proper person. 🤣

I mean it's not an issue in the grander scheme of things, it just meant I had to drive a bit further and it cost me a couple of quid more, both do the job right.

I forgot you had this.

Also

On 11/06/2023 at 13:37, DaveDorson said:

Unfortunately he wanted way more than I was willing to pay, cars like this tend to go around £2.5-3k and I saw it at closer to £1500

I think I beat you to this at £1.4k for mine and thus your clickbait thread title is no longer valid 😜