JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG]

JJ0063

9 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

That’s something I can look into actually, good shout. 

It’s slowly growing on me. It really does look better in person weirdly. In pics it looks very shiny and bright but it’s actually darker and more subtle in person.

I am a bit obsessed with this van. It’s slow, old and ratty but compared to how I felt about the T4, this is brilliant.

Still a bit weirded out by the whole waving and talking thing when it comes to VW’s. Driving to Thetford today a classic beetle waved at us, on the A11 another T5 overlook me, pulled alongside then him and his wife were waving like mad at us. Stopped at KFC for lunch, sat eating it in the car park and a bloke walks up and just says sorry to disturb but love the plate and love the van.

I think I just need to get used to the fact that it’s a bit of a cult and I need to embrace it. Might buy a foam hand to wave. Fuck it.

IMG_3181.jpeg

I was test driving a 15 plate Caravelle the other week - travelling in the oncoming direction was a very colourful T5 California thing whose driver was waving with a seemingly out of place, strange level of enthusiasm. First I was slightly confused and concerned because I'd just had the front end off it and thought they were trying to gesticulate that something was falling apart (😂) but it didn't take long for me to realize we were both driving 2 very similar vans from a weird (sorry) scene 🤣

• Haha 2

Decided I hate the gold wheels.

Previous owner sent me a pic of it when it was lower and on banded 18” Amarok wheels, I like this look a lot. Wouldn’t want it that low but the wheels, IMO, look ten times better.

25b72383-c8a3-4bcb-8cf0-bb4ad0ac4df9.jpeg

1bac8f21-a6cf-40a6-a25b-61b9709a93ae.jpeg

It did look good on the Amarok steels. But with a taller tyre would be better.

I think you were on the right track with the bronze. But wonder if they were done in a flat or satin finish. 

LIke what Work Emotion did with their wheels.

t7r-2p-18x9.5-et12-ahg-1.thumb.jpg.a97539d2d03afd8615fc09c40c365548.jpg

Brings out the wheel more in my opinion. Goes with the flat green too

Regardless, I like the Transporter anyway. Hopefully it serves you well.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Back to black? 🎶

I’ve just stuck them on marketplace, I have the original T5 wheels to use temporarily.. I’m sold on getting banded 18” Amarok wheels and having them dark grey like the pic I posted. Bloody love that look!

EDIT: Found a set but they’re in Daventry. Banded wheels are also bloody expensive 😫

IMG_1348.jpeg

7 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I’ve just stuck them on marketplace, I have the original T5 wheels to use temporarily.. I’m sold on getting banded 18” Amarok wheels and having them dark grey like the pic I posted. Bloody love that look!

EDIT: Found a set but they’re in Daventry. Banded wheels are also bloody expensive 😫

IMG_1348.jpeg

Just be bloody careful they've been done by someone who knows what they're doing. Pulling wheels in bits and truing them up properly afterwards is a bit of a skill. Good luck pal

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Matty said:

Just be bloody careful they've been done by someone who knows what they're doing. Pulling wheels in bits and truing them up properly afterwards is a bit of a skill. Good luck pal

Luckily these and the majority of Amarok banded steels have been done by a certain bloke in the (DUBLIFE m8) community who has a decent reputation!

23 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Luckily these and the majority of Amarok banded steels have been done by a certain bloke in the (DUBLIFE m8) community who has a decent reputation!

Exactly what I was on about. Gives you the confidence it isn't going to drive badly or be of dodgy quality. Nothing wrong with banding (and they look mint)!

Much better with the new steering wheel on it, that original one looks like it come off a Mk4 Polo or something.

• Like 2

Yeah I’m really happy with it!

Just taken a deposit on my wheels and have agreed to pick the banded Amarok ones up on Saturday morning. They need two front tyres so will get a pair and get them on. Think I’ll play it safe and just paint them gunmetal grey like the photo as I know the colour works!

• Like 3

Excuse the smeary paint I’d just given it a wipe over

18” banded Amarok steels on, over the moon with them. Just need to decide whether to run it as is or lower the coilovers a bit more.

Also, leave them silver or paint them dark grey like the original pic?

A6C59416-BA70-4684-8BC6-857DCF898AC1.jpeg

FE0645D8-D2E3-429F-9A1A-88AAA92C968B.jpeg

14B98A13-129F-4DB5-9FBF-6ABBF462925B.jpeg

Silver. Definatly, absolutely, positively silver. Looks sweet as fuck. Get an alignment though (memory serves that these aren't an rsj back axle and should have adjustement). The picture makes it look like everything's toeing out a fair way. Might be right as is, but you don't want to be putting more tires on too soon.

Defo the right choice though, looks mean.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Matty said:

Silver. Definatly, absolutely, positively silver. Looks sweet as fuck. Get an alignment though (memory serves that these aren't an rsj back axle and should have adjustement). The picture makes it look like everything's toeing out a fair way. Might be right as is, but you don't want to be putting more tires on too soon.

Defo the right choice though, looks mean.

It’s ultrawide setting on my camera thats done it, it’s actually got a receipt for alignment not even 8 months ago when the new coilovers were fitted so it should* all be good!

I think this pic my camera was on normal setting:

IMG_1454.jpeg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

It’s ultrawide setting on my camera thats done it, it’s actually got a receipt for alignment not even 8 months ago when the new coilovers were fitted so it should* all be good!

I think this pic my camera was on normal setting:

IMG_1454.jpeg

Yep, definatly looks straighter 😄

On 10/1/2023 at 7:54 PM, JJ0063 said:

That’s something I can look into actually, good shout. 

It’s slowly growing on me. It really does look better in person weirdly. In pics it looks very shiny and bright but it’s actually darker and more subtle in person.

I am a bit obsessed with this van. It’s slow, old and ratty but compared to how I felt about the T4, this is brilliant.

Still a bit weirded out by the whole waving and talking thing when it comes to VW’s. Driving to Thetford today a classic beetle waved at us, on the A11 another T5 overlook me, pulled alongside then him and his wife were waving like mad at us. Stopped at KFC for lunch, sat eating it in the car park and a bloke walks up and just says sorry to disturb but love the plate and love the van.

I think I just need to get used to the fact that it’s a bit of a cult and I need to embrace it. Might buy a foam hand to wave. Fuck it.

IMG_3181.jpeg

Is the pug eating a wham bar?

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

That dog is the queen of pugs and is a complete soul dog, love her to bits. She does have an incredibly long tongue which is a birth defect but she’s the best dog. 

IMG_3748.jpeg

My mate has 2. When I go round for a Friday night piss up with him I have to adopt them for the night. I've give up wearing nice clothes cos of the dog hair 😁. Lovely things though (evidence)

IMG-20221203-WA0002.thumb.jpg.958f29a31cfe7d7c90ef1bf69c1cedf5.jpg

2 hours ago, dave j said:

Love the new wheels! T5's are the same stud pattern as BMW aren't they? I always fancied a set of those 5 spokes you had on the 335d on a T5

Yeah it’s quite a common set people fit! 

IMG_1465.jpeg