The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, captain_70s said:

We hardly need to, we get a blow by blow account posted here already. 😂

There's not enough space on the server for the day to day Jesus bullshit she comes out with. Plus every carefully considered message must be reposted 25 times just in case you missed it the first time. N all the replies where she agrees with herself wholeheartedly. Oh, n several times a day post that hackers are changing her writing. Not she cant type.

21 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Details please? 

Belt done, will be going in Shite for sale thread soon.

21 hours ago, Markeh said:

I've just caught the zip trying to re-pack my tent

For a minute I thought that might be a euphemism for something much worse.

43 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

For a minute I thought that might be a euphemism for something much worse.

The best reason for a button fly.

• Haha 1

Sir Keir did fuck all, the bastard swanning around Germany. So mad Jean's contacting the chemist by the medium of facebook:

457314423_513298074630992_11790954112070

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

The best reason for a button fly.

I dunno, from experience:

- you only catch yourself properly once. Learn from experience, if not surgery.
- I remember those bloody button fly Levi 501s from the 1980s.  10 times slower than a zip, especially after half a dozen drinks

3 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I dunno, from experience:

- you only catch yourself properly once. Learn from experience, if not surgery.
- I remember those bloody button fly Levi 501s from the 1980s.  10 times slower than a zip, especially after half a dozen drinks

Life lesson. Tip in the zip is...painful

6 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Oh, do fuck off Sainsburys - it's still August

See also B+M. Fucking advent calendars in August.

In Oslo.  Put coat away in bag as light drizzle hadn’t come to much.

Zipping up bag and the heavens open.  Just like being at home.

FR indicator conked out on CC. That’s just a bulb, let me change it real qui…oh, it’s not a bulb, bulb holder burned out. Apparently common and part is a tenner new, but what the fuck Peugeot? Why is this car so hellbent on driving me insane, one stupid fault at a time?

IMG_4722.jpeg

Spent much of the day on the East Lothian coastal trail, Edinburgh to North Berwick. Every “town” , 20 mph all the way through. 
20 mph zones? Good thing outside schools (when they are coming and going, what’s the point 24/7?) , town centres (9-5  ok but again why 24/7?) and housing areas  ( most of the time I concede).

But a mile or so as you approach and leave every place? Totally unnecessary. It doesn’t make anything safer because everyone’s staring at their speedo instead of watching what’s happening.

And then, and this is my main moan, because some people are shit scared of being caught doing 21 mph ( whether they’re got 11 points or just would die of embarrassment if they had to deal with the police), they drive at 10-15 mph. FFS!

Putting on my conspirators  hat, I might conclude it’s a plot to make driving such a pain that you choose public transport but this also makes bus travel worse ( if possible).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Annual trip to Whitby for brother's birthday.  Several places where there is a 50 mph restriction.

Hardly any of us driving at fifty and many flying past at far more.

Then when it goes back to 70 I passed most of them driving at 60 and I was only doing 70.

Followed a Ford Focus for 10~12 miles out of Whitby with the brake lights on every ten seconds.  We were in a queue of six cars doing between 30 and 50.  Braking even uphill!

May have been a fault with the brake switch of course but something often seen but not in that degree.

No idea why it has underlined part of "Ford Focus"

7 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Spent much of the day on the East Lothian coastal trail, Edinburgh to North Berwick. Every “town” , 20 mph all the way through. 
20 mph zones? Good thing outside schools (when they are coming and going, what’s the point 24/7?) , town centres (9-5  ok but again why 24/7?) and housing areas  ( most of the time I concede).

But a mile or so as you approach and leave every place? Totally unnecessary. It doesn’t make anything safer because everyone’s staring at their speedo instead of watching what’s happening.

And then, and this is my main moan, because some people are shit scared of being caught doing 21 mph ( whether they’re got 11 points or just would die of embarrassment if they had to deal with the police), they drive at 10-15 mph. FFS!

Putting on my conspirators  hat, I might conclude it’s a plot to make driving such a pain that you choose public transport but this also makes bus travel worse ( if possible).

Yup, utterly brainless isn’t it.  And of course if you were to take even the safest overtaking opportunity, you’d feel like f’king Satan for breaching the holy limit momentarily in a 20, much moreso than you ever would at a higher speed (also applies in 30 limits, but then they tend to be in place because they’re justified and appropriate, not for inexplicable reasons of pure twattery).

18 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Annual trip to Whitby for brother's birthday.  Several places where there is a 50 mph restriction.

Hardly any of us driving at fifty and many flying past at far more.

Then when it goes back to 70 I passed most of them driving at 60 and I was only doing 70.

Followed a Ford Focus for 10~12 miles out of Whitby with the brake lights on every ten seconds.  We were in a queue of six cars doing between 30 and 50.  Braking even uphill!

May have been a fault with the brake switch of course but something often seen but not in that degree.

No idea why it has underlined part of "Ford Focus"

I often wonder at just how exactly someone manages to drive inexplicably applying the brakes at random frequent intervals; of course it’s ultimately because they’re halfwits but surely that must be fucking exhausting?!

8 minutes ago, SunnySouth said:

I often wonder at just how exactly someone manages to drive inexplicably applying the brakes at random frequent intervals; of course it’s ultimately because they’re halfwits but surely that must be fucking exhausting?!

My mother used to drove like that 40 years ago. Brake or accelerator.  Almost like she shouldn't leave her foot not doing anything. Exhausting for the passengers.  She's 87 now and drives very smoothly so at some point she must have mellowed. 

There's also the point on EVs where if the setting for foot off regeneration is set too high, the brake lights come on automatically above a set G level.  Only aware of this because I saw a test report on a prototype EV truck and the setting they guessed in the first software version was way to high and it was almost undrivable in the wet. 

1 hour ago, SunnySouth said:

And of course they will have no inkling of the wear on the brakes so will probably continue with metal on metal until it all seizes up.

1 hour ago, SunnySouth said:

Sometimes it's an old people thing. My Dad gradually lost his driving confidence as his eyesight declined and at the end he would drive like that, putting the brake on for every new thing in case it became a hazard.

57 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Sometimes it's an old people thing. My Dad gradually lost his driving confidence as his eyesight declined and at the end he would drive like that, putting the brake on for every new thing in case it became a hazard.

Indeed. “Halfwit” was a twattish description; there was no need for that, I apologise. It‘s always a sad story to see a driver’s ability declining beyond where they‘re safe, and I guess we all dread getting there. We’ll still be f’king infuriating to be stuck behind, of course!

Ha, no worries. It was mildly terrifying to be in the car with him, eventually managed to stop him driving but it's a sad business.

38 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Ha, no worries. It was mildly terrifying to be in the car with him, eventually managed to stop him driving but it's a sad business.

Luckily my parents gave up driving voluntarily although it did take a near miss that scared my Dad shitless before he decided he wasn’t safe. A big relief as their property exits onto a very fast and busy stretch of dual carriageway.

On 20/08/2024 at 19:02, Andyrew said:

For the past few years a local industrial estate i have customers on has had a lovely w123 always floating about, never seen the owner.  Always looked mint, It was always around. Now half the estate has been cleared and gated off. The w123 was parked in there, i assume the land owner owns it. 

Well its now windowless and had the roof caved in and smashed up by fuckwits. Such a shame.

And now its been torched. 

Arseholes. 

• Sad 2

It's been long enough that I had really forgotten how much of an utter pain it is moving to a new phone, especially when you've switched brands - which last happened for me in 2013.  

Taking bets how many weeks in before I stop having moments of wanting to hurl the thing into low earth orbit due to frustration with it doing things differently to what 11 years of habit has my brain used to...

• Like 2

Well that'll be a brake line burst.

20240830_144540.jpg.8a3f65ae541b027881a509a1adf54929.jpg

Pedal hit the floor in traffic and it's pissing fluid out. AA to be here by 4pm allegedly.

49 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Well that'll be a brake line burst.

20240830_144540.jpg.8a3f65ae541b027881a509a1adf54929.jpg

Pedal hit the floor in traffic and it's pissing fluid out. AA to be here by 4pm allegedly.

Hopefully just a flexy? 🤞🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

It's been long enough that I had really forgotten how much of an utter pain it is moving to a new phone, especially when you've switched brands - which last happened for me in 2013.  

Taking bets how many weeks in before I stop having moments of wanting to hurl the thing into low earth orbit due to frustration with it doing things differently to what 11 years of habit has my brain used to...

It was doing just that job a few years ago that made me realise how much tech has plateaude... 

Was switching from my note 10 lite to my flip 3. I'd got a good* offer on the flip on early access and really hyped myself up. It came, I drooled over it then hit the Samsung sync thing on both. 

It was a lovely process tbh, went well and I picked the flip up and.... It was identical to my old phone. Took all the new shiny fun out of it 😢 Now Google does my contacts and Web passwords and I manually install and log into the apps again. Helps me keep on top of login details on my notebook. 

The flip broke my heart the fucking thing and ever since a good mate has chucked me his old handset when he upgrades yearly and every phone has been the same speed and features wise. My current oppo has a wicked microscope camera I have used about 6 times and otherwise? Perfectly fine android slab 🤷

Fuck phones are boring now. Here's a pic of the p910i I got from the car boot a few weeks ago. Back when phones were fun 

IMG20240830154129.jpg.ef2e0a27e6939de41e5e39e58230bc31.jpg

5 hours ago, SunnySouth said:

I grumped about that very thing on here a few months back and was told it's what some  modern cars with their stupid radar-guided Bluetooth Magic Pixie Smart snooze control do to keep the speed set to whatever the GPS satnav tells them the speed limit is. This, combined with the lane assist guarantees that the blood clot behind the wheel need devote no more than 10% of their feeble brain power to safely guiding their 2 ton tank at 70mph down the motorway.

The new bulb holder is fitted to 307CC, just for one of the mounts on the tray covering the expansion tank and washer bottle to snap. Arsebisquits.