The Doctor's travels through time - The End - of chapter 1

DoctorRetro

Given the stress and lack of funds that seem to prevail every time you’re looking for a car, do you not think it best to leave it the fuck alone as long as it works rather than pissing about with wheels, lowering etc? 

Itll be far harder to sell if you Barry it; and you’ll be looking to sell it in a couple of weeks regardless of what you say now. 

5 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Given the stress and lack of funds that seem to prevail every time you’re looking for a car, do you not think it best to leave it the fuck alone as long as it works rather than pissing about with wheels, lowering etc? 

Itll be far harder to sell if you Barry it; and you’ll be looking to sell it in a couple of weeks regardless of what you say now. 

There's a difference between tasteful improvements and 'barrying' 

And no, I don't plan to sell it any time soon. Its the car I should have bought ages ago, everything else has just been a distraction. I know, I know - we will see... 

Can I just add, for any of you that weren't convinced how insane I am - that I collected this car without sorting any breakdown cover!

Didn't want to mention that until I got home safely. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had breakdown cover for a collection mission.

Mind you, I once drove a Hungarian registered Lada 1200 back from Southampton with no UK papers and no breakdown cover, so this was a walk in the park!

6 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Agreed (On the first bit)

I want to increase the diameter of the wheels and bring the arches a tiny bit closer to earth, because otherwise it doesn't look right (In my opinion)

And it won't be next week, I've been told I have to keep this one.

To be boring im with the rest of them. Dont modify it. You just need it to be a car. Also as a seriel coilover man, perfectly good kits arent dear (JOM etc) if you snap a spring etc your into them for spares. Which arent so cheap. Modifying is the begginings of constant investment not cheap motoring. However, it is your car ?

8 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Is this one a better bet than the bronze one in Ipswich that you won? 

That looked smashing! (As does this) 

Yes, this one has a manual gearbox. ?

I would have liked that one too, just couldn't get it sorted in time, and luckily found an eager party to buy it. 

These cars have aged really well, and most still around (I'd say the 400 more than the 200) have been looked after. I think the saloon attracted more sensible, older owners perhaps. 

I do get the need to lower as the 420 is the same, there is a  definite gap.

But then I go all Old Original on my bad self and decide to leave well alone - it's how the Rover Gods meant it to be.

Ultimately, your car,  your choice of course.

5 hours ago, SiC said:

I'm getting deja vu. Haven't you had one of these before, lowered it against all the advice (chopping the springs iirc), stuck some unsuitably sized wheels and then (unsurprisingly) found it drove like shit. Subsequently having to flog it on as broken because of the above. 

You see that's the thing with deja vu, it's usually incorrect. 

Yes I owned one before. L565TAP. Yes I shortened the springs. The wheels I added were in fact OEM Rover wheels and were very suitable, they are still on the car to this day. It drove pretty well, except for one particular road where the surface was undulating and it made the occupants a bit sea sick. 

Ironically my ex wife decided to move house and take my son 60 miles north and guess which road I'd have to take every week? Yep. 

The solution was to fit aftermarket lowering springs instead, but I didn't do that, I swapped it for a Mk3 Golf which promptly broke. Regretted every day since. 

One of the subsequent owners of L565TAP did change the springs (Bobthebeard), and the car was perfect. 

So what I'd be doing is not making the same mistakes, but rather learning from them. And finally getting back to the car I should have kept. 

Here's some pictures.

Too high

FB_IMG_1563358049751.thumb.jpg.c3ae363a2e7b82ea86f647e33298143a.jpg

Too low

FB_IMG_1563434028433.thumb.jpg.1226e4bd4f144a8aa8dd5eada5e9123a.jpg

Just right (but still lowered) 

Screenshot_20190715_211353_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.58af23b0277717020fcd5d5b0a1c8971.jpg

1 minute ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

How about a Sony Discman* stuck to the dash with a tape-to-aux adapter for the true late 90s audio experience.

*Other portable CD players are available.

Done this myself although I used to put it in the glove box on a sponge to stop it skipping when going over bumps ?