SiC

2002 Laguna II - The Freebie Family Heirloom - Naturally, it's playing up

I had the manual version for a good few years.

Issues to watch for:

Rear axle bushes need changing all the time; buy a cheapo Laguna specific tool from ebay for £25. Will be worth it.

Electric window regulators.

Snapped coils springs.

The stupid, stupid key card is stupid and will stop working. DO NOT PUT IT THROUGH THE WASH! They are hateful.

Random annoying electrical faults typical of this era of Renault.

It's a very comfortable motorway car that'll cruise along plenty fast endlessly. Not so much fun in town or country. I sold mine for £350 in very poor condition about 7 years ago, although it would have been do-upable fairly easily for an owner who had some interest in it. Massive boot; virtually an estate really.

If it’s been sat for a length of time it will benefit from the rear brakes being stripped down, the rear calipers being wound in a bit to free them off and a smidgen of red rubber in the right places. 

You often find though a laid up car will pass the test with a few advisories for perished bushes then the problems present themselves after regular use like dried up grease in bearings etc. If it passes it’s worth having all 4 wheels off and overhauling the rotating bits and friction items. 

I had the manual version for a good few years.
Issues to watch for:
Rear axle bushes need changing all the time; buy a cheapo Laguna specific tool from ebay for £25. Will be worth it.
[/Quote]

These were done for an MOT about 3 or 4 years ago. Done at a Renault dealer, so should be genuine!

The stupid, stupid key card is stupid and will stop working. DO NOT PUT IT THROUGH THE WASH! They are hateful.
[/Quote]

It's had two brand new cards recently. Genuine Renault - I don't want to know how much it cost.

Random annoying electrical faults typical of this era of Renault.
[/Quote]
Luckily (?) it has a speaking computer to tell me all about it. :D

It's a very comfortable motorway car that'll cruise along plenty fast endlessly. Not so much fun in town or country. I sold mine for £350 in very poor condition about 7 years ago, although it would have been do-upable fairly easily for an owner who had some interest in it. Massive boot; virtually an estate really.

I'll be interested to see how this compares to my Lag II v6 ph2. That had harder springs for the heavier engine. I believe these smaller engines had a lot softer setup.

Booked in for delivery to my local friendly garage for an MOT on the 22nd with an MOT then or on the 23rd. Fingers crossed it will pass!

Just to add to the anexity, I'm on jury duty that week and so I possibly won't know the result until the evening. 

I've got the full dealer manual pack from mine still, do you want it? 
Could be handy. No idea if the one from this is still hanging around. I need a satnav disc as someone appears to have nicked it. Got to have been a garage it was serviced at sometime, as my grandad would have had no idea where it lives.

MOT was supposed to be tomorrow. However I did a quick check and it looks like they have done it already!

Bad news though, it failed... :(

Repair immediately (major defects):

Nearside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (B) (ii))
Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (B) (ii))

However it now has passed!! Not bad for a 17 year old Renault Laguna II.

I guess they've lobbed some new wipers on for me. Something I don't mind them doing without approval as gets it sorted quicker and less hassle. Saves going to buy some and then come back for the admin.

Still waiting for the call to let me know though!

I had this with the Zafira one year when it had its rear fog light bulb out. Was £2.50 for the new bulb... Which was way cheaper than my pride of leaving the centre, fitting a free bulb from the stash at home and going back another day for the re test! 

27 minutes ago, SiC said:

MOT was supposed to be tomorrow. However I did a quick check and it looks like they have done it already!

Bad news though, it failed... :(

However it now has passed!! Not bad for a 17 year old Renault Laguna II.

I guess they've lobbed some new wipers on for me. Something I don't mind them doing without approval as gets it sorted quicker and less hassle. Saves going to buy some and then come back for the admin.

Still waiting for the call to let me know though!

Always a shame they didn’t pass it and then fix after. I know that’s not strictly legit but it’s something I’m grateful of at my place. 

Anyway, a happy ending! 

It would be nice but yeah, they're supposed to test it exactly as presented. Given the DVSA are based in Bristol (I actually cycle past their office everyday), my local garage does exactly everything to the book as much as they can.

Just driven the old girl home. Wasn't a bad drive. Had the usual early 2000s Renault feel of flimsiness and cheapness. 

I think some fettling is definitely in order. Idle is a bit lumpy but that's probably old fuel. 

Tyres are a bit square and definitely need replacing. To be fair they've been flat for two years. They have a fair amount of tread but they're only cheap Chinese death rings anyway.

Also forgot to tighten up the negative lead before I left the garage. This I left loose as it could be left off until it was delivered. Battery is a bit small for the job but should be sufficient for now. 

Main priority is to give it a good clean as it feels a bit grim motoring at the moment. Secondly is to figure out why the radio/satnav combo doesn't work at all either. Could do with a oil change too. 

Ha! Fuggin' brilliant.There's a reason these have a reputation for being ungrateful swine. One of the best threads on The Internet was when Scaryoldcortina got one of these in similar condition and pressed it into daily use. I can't remember the exact circumstances of the acquisition, but I'm sure it was a freebie that had been abandoned in a public car park. His collection thread was superb iirc. Anyway, hope this one continues to be a bit of a fugger just so I can have some enjoyment reading about it on here.