Jump to content

The Current Driveway...


Recommended Posts

Posted

The RX8's 'looks-maxxing' continues, due to an upcoming car meet in the fair town of Forres on Wednesday. 

Organised by the same folk who did the last one at the aircraft museum, I'm hoping for a similar turnout and atmosphere.  I'm really enjoying the rotary-engine goodness at the moment, and have had loads of 'you dont see many of them around' comments, so hopefully she'll be well received as a 'modern classic'.

I have been out with the old pot of satin black, tidying up the wipers and wheels in preparation...

IMG_20260621_134512.jpg.eaca47aa38f1f6e9c398357af82f4d2b.jpg

IMG_20260621_134532.jpg.898a75deb43d481287f83ef7c34cf32d.jpg

IMG_20260621_134543.jpg.a6e39e2af9e7cce188c13c2306e292da.jpg

In other fleet news... Old Red the P4 got a run out yesterday, just a few miles for errands and fuel, and drove beautifully despite sitting for a couple of weeks.  A grand old car.

We've had a few 'settling in' type issues with the old Surf's new cooling system (a fancy aluminium rad, new pump etc.), but having now replaced every hose with fancy silicone jobs it is back to its usual.  It pulled an ungodly amount of scrap over the hill to the tip yesterday, so we've fully tested her 👌.

IMG-20260618-WA0000.jpg.808491b4a19ebea2029422f77742116a.jpg

In a burst of energy, I also washed the months and months worth of muck off the old Audi Coupe... mainly driven by guilt, I must admit.  It's another great old car, just needing a bit of brake work, and driving!

 

Cheers all.

Posted

Another good weekend's 'shiting is over, it's been quite productive all told...

I'd arranged to pick up the spare Rover P4 engine from my pal's yard on Saturday morning, and the weather played ball.  By lunchtime then, the lump was out and in my driveway.  The Surf and my old trailer provided the transport, and my mate's ancient but very stout forklift provided the lift.

Before...

IMG_20260424_161447.jpg.1613f38bac59e134d07d3c4c71fbd687.jpg

And after a couple of hours swearing, after...

IMG_20260628_195806.jpg.2ad08cc3784fcc0d6e5a8cd68fec692d.jpg

IMG_20260628_195832.jpg.78fc9ba9e20fc548c7e15e10cd53d90b.jpg

I know... imagine the joy of living next to me!  However, even if the big lump never turns again, there are plenty of bits there that can be refurbed and fitted if needed.  It has been exposed to the elements for years, it may well be scrap, but t'was free at least.  A thorough soaking in diesel is in its immediate future, see if she's for turning.

 

Second planned job was to sort a couple of rust blebs on the RX8's bootlid, in preparation for the attachment of my newly-blue spoiler.  I forgot to take a proper 'before' pic, this is a zoom in from a previous one...

IMG_20260525_1936083.jpg.4bddbb6de5bdcf3ac85dbe1ab40ead84.jpg

The bit just under the Mazda badge was the worst, but the wee bits around the third brake light were bugging me too.  Angry grinder, Fertan, filler and paint were all applied, I'll need more cans of Winning Blue now to tackle the front wings.

And the results, final cut and polish pending (badges not stuck on yet either)...

IMG_20260628_192630.jpg.29f02df3f3da05d28c79b8295d92a221.jpg

IMG_20260628_193627.jpg.d2a0686a74926bb030e44171709b2186.jpg

The works included the wet-and-drying of the third brake light lens, as it was not looking good.  Nice and bright now though...

IMG_20260628_1927462.jpg.6ccb85db2ddb4a077a59219edec19945.jpg

The spoiler itself got primed and it's first coat of colour, needs more, and lacquer I think, but good enough to imagine the final fit...

IMG_20260628_192400.jpg.e3d15078fc3e9ffd39835833136db2dc.jpg

IMG_20260628_1923462.jpg.117ce480a82059fe35622b1b0f1de315.jpg

IMG_20260628_1924222.jpg.fa94081f8ede91ba8d3f37d3febb0003.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on it tbh, but it uses the same holes as the original diddy spoiler, so I'm not going to damage anything trying it.  It is a factory (PZ/Prodrive) jobby, so isn't too offensive... thoughts welcome as always!

 

Final job was an unplanned one, as my youngest sheared two bolts on the anti-roll bar mounts under the venerable Surf.  This during some enthusiastic off-roading I'm told.

We cut and bashed the captive nuts out with the sheared bits still in, and replaced with nuts and bolts from the stash.  There were new rubbers in his parts box too, so she's much improved.  Here's a rubbish pic of that job to end on...

IMG_20260628_200419.jpg.e86b866f67bd9627023077be63d594d4.jpg

Cheers all, have a good week.

Posted

Well as one Mazda inches closer to the  'actually quite a nice car' stage, the automotive gods have decreed that I must sparkly-stick another of Hiroshima's finest exports into better fettle.

Regular readers may remember my eldest's next car, the mighty and mythical Xedos 9.  What we should have done, is held out for a good one (Schaefft's for example...), what we did was spend £900 on a rusty one.  Yay!

Well, I had a grumble about not being a mug spending my weekends under somebody else's motor, whilst said individual gallivanted around just generally being young and happy.  This meant that the welding work (to the outer sills) was farmed out to a local lad, famed for his quality work on expensive classic cars.  He said he would slow-time the job as we were mates, a nice little arrangement.

However, he is snowed under and the Xedos has, after 6 months waiting, made it's X-odus back to my yard.

The repair position then, has been assumed...

IMG_20260704_1542362.jpg.475b33e1c2ac69329b34018009369695.jpg

IMG_20260704_1543462.jpg.e6392d72652f47aba7a747f9fcbcd3fc.jpg

This itself took some time and effort, these cars are seriously low.  Many bits of wood, and several jacking operations left us as above.  The tilty ramp is of no use, as it can only lift the car by the bits I'm needing to cut out and weld up unfortunately.

The old thing is thankfully still running beautifully, the non-Miller cycle V6 is the quietest engine I've ever known...

IMG_20260704_154203.jpg.cd23364ff34f92ed7d8289a2661759d1.jpg

Cambelt change looks like fun...

IMG_20260704_154213.jpg.c26ba96b11beec85f46efd434dd2107b.jpg

Anyway, I'll update with photos of the damage when I next drag my sorry carcass underneath it, I'm off to the pub.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well, well.

I had reason to deliver my youngest to the farthest reaches of the United Kingdom for Monday morning, so naturally (after too long pondering the RX8's capabilities) I looked to the mile-munching A8, my eclectic fleet's most suitable vehicle.

Screenshot_20260714-194946.png.257880d6601d08bb76a7d105decad729.png

I did so without too much trepidation, it is a fine motor in good running order... it's also now 23 years old though, and showing 187,000 miles (57k in my ownership).

Basic checks were carried out, fluids topped up as required (a smidge of oil only), and the tyres pumped up.  Mainly, I gave it a good wash and polish up, as an offering to the car gods.

Suffice to say, a car almost explicitly designed for the purpose, carried out this journey without issue and in great comfort.  It has once again proved it's worth in terms of the initial purchase, and the mechanical works I've put in over the last six years.

The old Fraulien imbibed a gallon for every 35 miles travelled, which isn't too bad, especially with the overtaking ability on tap!

Living as I do in the motorway-free north, the M6 and M40 came as a bit of a shock though, in the years since we last lived down there I wouldn't say things have improved!  Foolishly, I was attempting to return the left-hand lane after overtaking... only to be pinned in by switched-off Tesla/Jaecoo zombie-mobiles, or lowered BMW 3 series'.  Very few people seemed to be planning ahead, it was definitely every man for himself from Manchester southwards anyway.

And so I became the oft-criticised middle lane hog, with occasional bouts of fast lane Audi wanker...  The old ways are just impossible in 2026 it seems.  The left-hand (or even lanes 1 and 2 on four lane stretches), are best left to the lorries I think, for their benefit and us car drivers.

Never before had I felt that the nations' motorways were beyond full capacity, but I can see now that they are...  It doesn't seem right having to do 70-80mph in such close proximity, forwards/backwards and to each side.

The Audi's non-radar cruise control was basically useless for most of the journey, it gives more to do rather than less.

Basically, I have a new respect for all you old car guys having to put up with the levels of traffic and poor standards of driving down there, I'd be a nervous wreck or as mentioned, a permanent Audi Wanker!

Anyway, down on Sunday, and back up on Monday without any automotive drama.  Can't ask for a better test than that for the car, which at this point owes me around 4 grand for six years motoring.  These D3's really are incredible bargains I think, it's pulled all the other cars home at one point or another (the heavy old Surf included!), has never got close to being stuck in even the worst winter weather, is extremely comfy and still pretty quick.  Which caught out a few Range Rover driving tail-gaters, they were left for dead on uphill sections when the traffic cleared in front!

Best car ever... there, I said it.

 

Posted
1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

only to be pinned in by switched-off Tesla/Jaecoo zombie-mobiles, or lowered BMW 3 series'. 

Just trying to keep the Northern invaders at bay 😀

  • Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Hello all,

Not much to update on the 'core' fleet, but we do have an addition...

IMG-20260806-WA0006.jpg.b1b5e4d7d4f4d75ab96d789fc648c395.jpg

Our youngest is starting his career and moving down south in a couple of months, so he needed a motorway-capable 'an-car'.  

A pal at work had taken the above Golf on with a failed egr valve, fixed that and with a couple of tyres achieved an MOT pass.  It's a 1.6tdi Blue motion, so not rapid, but very nicely specced.  At 50,000 miles it already has x2 cambelt changes behind it, as they were carried out on time rather than mileage!

This, and the clagged EGR points towards careful, lightly-driven ownership to my mind, and the interior is like new.

This is by far the newest vehicle on fleet, and I did not realise how far the humble Golf had come on.  It drives beautifully, does 60 to the gallon so far, and has every mod con going.  We've just tried the 'auto-park', which blew my tiny mind!

£2500 was what we paid, the tax was £20, and insurance pretty cheap also.  I am in danger of being converted to the modern car!!!*

IMG-20260806-WA0005.jpg.1eece3e1460f9c4d9dd34071e67acc27.jpg

IMG-20260806-WA0007.jpg.c34b0f28fdd740c7728dc994e84e5e37.jpg

 

 

 

*not really... it does mean I get this old jalopy back...!

IMG-20260628-WA0009.jpg.a36d7e10c02a529c627b8c80a8690791.jpg

Cheers all.

 

 

Posted

Wish i had your work ethic bud. I feel this thread often goes un noticed but theres herculean levels of graft in here.

 

(And not a little skill too)

Posted
47 minutes ago, Matty said:

Wish i had your work ethic bud. I feel this thread often goes un noticed but theres herculean levels of graft in here.

 

(And not a little skill too)

It doesn't go unnoticed but if you draw attention to it then inadequacy in your own work ethic are more obvious....

 

That's my excuse anyway.

  • Haha 3
Posted

That's very kind of you to say gents, it actually becomes my way of relaxing and winding down these days!

Posted

Well well,

Thanks to an oversight on the part of my eldest 'shiter, his wee (ex-of-this-parish) Mazda 323 is out of test.

So, with a bit of time off today (what else do you do with holiday leave?!), I set about it... the tin worm has been a bit brutal on the car, at 34 years old it is doing serious miles, all over Scotland.  I'm tackling the worst of it in the hopes that the MOT man takes a kind view of the rest!

An initial dig in to the wheel arch resulted in chasing out a fair bit of rust...

IMG-20260807-WA0005.jpg.4a2a6a021d968442bf679ea922684077.jpg

The stickers will never be the same!

Anyway, got a new piece made up to replace the inner curve...

IMG-20260807-WA0000.jpg.00519b4892cf5f426d25e494ac0c63ee.jpg

...and welded that all up.  Much care was required, there's no thickness to the original steel.  No picture, but all this got a good spray of weld-through primer, and I plan to spray inside the void with some form of oily goodness when we're done.

IMG-20260807-WA0003.jpg.8700934dda55d1023d30997804cc43fb.jpg

Next up was the outer skin, which I had to make up with 2mm plate as that's all that was left in the stash...

IMG-20260807-WA0002.jpg.d5e2ad25718c553ca43a0f18cd24ab39.jpg

IMG-20260807-WA0001.jpg.6dfe7c182222a053d0b52a82589234d7.jpg

Worked ok though, I welded up all the slots I'd cut for the return edge folding, and it's certainly strong!

More primer, and then some tiny tacks...

IMG-20260807-WA0004.jpg.1307aefa5d429c46b0e3a1c687487322.jpg

...until eventually it became one with the Maz...

IMG-20260807-WA0008.jpg.bdf7fb1ce08a01ab4308c4344b6afd0f.jpg

A quick coat applied just to stop it flash rusting tonight...

IMG-20260807-WA0010.jpg.1f435b3e8e17f7c40f20726634deb304.jpg

IMG-20260807-WA0009.jpg.0c7fe1038428fe55cd147ad4fffd99da.jpg

It has puckered inwards a bit near the top, obviously I put too much heat in at once.  However, tomorrow will see the filler out, and the Perky Blue rattle cans of course.

A new sticker will then distract the eye from any remaining dodginess!

So far, the rest of the car seems testable, a new set of tyres on the rear possibly required, but we're trying to keep the spends down a wee bit as the Xedos is waiting it's turn with the welder in order to replace this one on the road.

I'm going to need shares in a welding gas company for that particular example of Mazda's masterpiece though, everywhere I look there's more metal work required...

 

 

Cheers all.

 

 

Posted

Today's progress...

IMG_20260808_160443.jpg.68ad870e5cb1c72e9fbe48a3b28ff3bb.jpg

IMG_20260808_160451.jpg.763d03cbb1c5625393def3a6312cd9af.jpg

As ever, looked good before I put the primer on...

IMG_20260808_162148.jpg.c2ad01b740c9482dc60c707eb2307abd.jpg

Will see if I can be bothered with any more smoothing tomorrow, probably just whack the topcoat on and call it a day though...  Soul-destroying stuff this bodywork lark.

Posted

Going back a little ways to where your spares P4 engine came from, is that still there?

I'm missing the little ramps under the wiper arms that lift them clear of the scuttle, and so far haven't been able to track any down yet.  They look to be there on that spares car.

If you happen to have the opportunity and the owner would be willing to part with them I'd happily chuck some funds your way to rehome them!

Posted
On 28/06/2026 at 21:31, TrabbieRonnie said:

Another good weekend's 'shiting is over, it's been quite productive all told...

I'd arranged to pick up the spare Rover P4 engine from my pal's yard on Saturday morning, and the weather played ball.  By lunchtime then, the lump was out and in my driveway.  The Surf and my old trailer provided the transport, and my mate's ancient but very stout forklift provided the lift.

Before...

IMG_20260424_161447.jpg.1613f38bac59e134d07d3c4c71fbd687.jpg

And after a couple of hours swearing, after...

IMG_20260628_195806.jpg.2ad08cc3784fcc0d6e5a8cd68fec692d.jpg

IMG_20260628_195832.jpg.78fc9ba9e20fc548c7e15e10cd53d90b.jpg

I know... imagine the joy of living next to me!  However, even if the big lump never turns again, there are plenty of bits there that can be refurbed and fitted if needed.  It has been exposed to the elements for years, it may well be scrap, but t'was free at least.  A thorough soaking in diesel is in its immediate future, see if she's for turning.

 

Second planned job was to sort a couple of rust blebs on the RX8's bootlid, in preparation for the attachment of my newly-blue spoiler.  I forgot to take a proper 'before' pic, this is a zoom in from a previous one...

IMG_20260525_1936083.jpg.4bddbb6de5bdcf3ac85dbe1ab40ead84.jpg

The bit just under the Mazda badge was the worst, but the wee bits around the third brake light were bugging me too.  Angry grinder, Fertan, filler and paint were all applied, I'll need more cans of Winning Blue now to tackle the front wings.

And the results, final cut and polish pending (badges not stuck on yet either)...

IMG_20260628_192630.jpg.29f02df3f3da05d28c79b8295d92a221.jpg

IMG_20260628_193627.jpg.d2a0686a74926bb030e44171709b2186.jpg

The works included the wet-and-drying of the third brake light lens, as it was not looking good.  Nice and bright now though...

IMG_20260628_1927462.jpg.6ccb85db2ddb4a077a59219edec19945.jpg

The spoiler itself got primed and it's first coat of colour, needs more, and lacquer I think, but good enough to imagine the final fit...

IMG_20260628_192400.jpg.e3d15078fc3e9ffd39835833136db2dc.jpg

IMG_20260628_1923462.jpg.117ce480a82059fe35622b1b0f1de315.jpg

IMG_20260628_1924222.jpg.fa94081f8ede91ba8d3f37d3febb0003.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on it tbh, but it uses the same holes as the original diddy spoiler, so I'm not going to damage anything trying it.  It is a factory (PZ/Prodrive) jobby, so isn't too offensive... thoughts welcome as always!

 

Final job was an unplanned one, as my youngest sheared two bolts on the anti-roll bar mounts under the venerable Surf.  This during some enthusiastic off-roading I'm told.

We cut and bashed the captive nuts out with the sheared bits still in, and replaced with nuts and bolts from the stash.  There were new rubbers in his parts box too, so she's much improved.  Here's a rubbish pic of that job to end on...

IMG_20260628_200419.jpg.e86b866f67bd9627023077be63d594d4.jpg

Cheers all, have a good week.

i like the spoiler !! suits the car well

  • Like 1
Posted
28 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Going back a little ways to where your spares P4 engine came from, is that still there?

I'm missing the little ramps under the wiper arms that lift them clear of the scuttle, and so far haven't been able to track any down yet.  They look to be there on that spares car.

If you happen to have the opportunity and the owner would be willing to part with them I'd happily chuck some funds your way to rehome them!

The car is away unfortunately Z, I did mean to grab them as well but forgot.

I probably missed loads of wee bits to be honest, but it's easy done in someone else's yard with a bit of time pressure... 

Posted
16 minutes ago, stuboy said:

i like the spoiler !! suits the car well

Yes, I'm coming round to it myself.  Will need some more paint and then I'll stick it on I think.

Posted
1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

  Soul-destroying stuff this bodywork lark.

But a good skill to have. I literally cant be arsed and have the patience of a 5 year old. So fair play to you.

  • Like 1
Posted
2 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

The car is away unfortunately Z, I did mean to grab them as well but forgot.

I probably missed loads of wee bits to be honest, but it's easy done in someone else's yard with a bit of time pressure... 

No worries, thanks anyway.  It's a low priority thing anyway and I'm sure a set will turn up.  Just seemed worth asking.

  • Like 1
Posted

Couple of flattering pictures, that's all the flatting down I've got patience for!

IMG_20260809_161632.jpg.d6c6f0ed46beb947907f027afc31e72c.jpg

Managed to save most of his zoom-zooms at least!

IMG_20260809_161650.jpg.485cf3658964ef810345185e8b20d133.jpg

Wind, rain and time really are the enemies with this sort of work aren't they?  I will have my ramp-equipped garage one day!

 

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Well, after the best part of three weeks in the garage, the wee 323 is finally mot'd...

Back brakes (handbrakes adjusters were shot) and track rod ends were the culprits, easily sorted but the parts took a while to get hold of.

I'll pick that up on Monday and pay the man.  Prior to it's return I've had a shuffle around outside, with the new Golf here for a wee bit yet, there's ten old bangers cars to find slots for now...  Only two of the slots are on half-decent tarmac I can work on, and one of them is taken up by the Xedos 9 (still on its four axle stands).  I want the other one for the big Audi, so as I say, some shuffling occurred.

First thing was to shift Old Red the P4, which has basically been stood for a month as I've been daily-ing the RX8.  I've left her a good while before though, and so was pretty confident...  Sure enough, after 30 seconds for the fuel pump to prime the line, I flicked the starter and off she went!  A quick run up the lanes was in order, just to check her over of course...

IMG_20260905_123933.jpg.f4f25c3b22a0f00aa4bbb1f6a2986d93.jpg

This old car is as lovely as ever, still awaiting its paint job, but I'm not too worried...

IMG_20260905_124003.jpg.e1dd790f823567dd056c206bf031f1cc.jpg

IMG_20260905_123914.jpg.8bfada98454b0e5c0f3258604358b31b.jpg

She did get a new blanket for the back seat, that's something!

IMG_20260905_124042.jpg.fbb1f2be0374ab41c9bc100774ba564c.jpg

Anyway, with the Rover, RX8, Surf and 323 all running well and road-legal, I am turning my attention to the A8.

The 1000-mile run down south and back in July reminded me what a masterclass these old cruisers are, and Schaefft's thread has provided some inspiration too.

My old 3.7 version has covered 57,000 miles in my time with it now, and has a few issues to attend to.

The front brakes have picked up a wobble, I've finally got the correct new pads in stock and will check the discs when they're out.

The boot handle, although you'd think it was plastic, is actually aluminium and has corroded (TADTS).  This has basically let water into and ruined the numberplate lamps, so I've got some nice aluminium body filler, paint and new lamps in.  This should tidy up the rear aspect, which is letting the car down a bit just now.

The main issue however, is under the bonnet.  These engines use a rubber cambelt, but it drives the second camshaft in each head via chains, adjusted by oil-pressure-fed tensioners.  There are check valves fitted to prevent the oil draining down to the sump on switch-off, avoiding a 'dry' start of these tensioners.  Mine, like most at this mileage, have failed or are failing.  The symptom is a clattery couple of seconds on startup, if the car has been left for more than a day.

The engine is smooth as silk thereafter, so I'm hopeful the issue is simply as described, but it could be that the tensioners themselves are tired, a much bigger job... we will see.

Getting to the check valves means the removal of the air intake plenum, so I've ordered gaskets etc too.

IMG_20260905_132752.jpg.1a27ec8d2bc583a61f3d20e3c787a13b.jpg

The clatter is more of an annoyance than anything, but I'll definitely regret it if anything suddenly worsens!  

After this, I should organise the changing of the gearbox oil (sealed for life apparently?), as at 183k it must be past it's best!

 

Boring update...

 

Posted

My old 5V Audi 80 Cab had the same setup albeit in 4 pot form and made the same rattle on startup for years, probably still does 🤣

  • Like 1
Posted
17 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

My old 5V Audi 80 Cab had the same setup albeit in 4 pot form and made the same rattle on startup for years, probably still does 🤣

Yeah, I don't actually think it's doing much harm... Just sounds shite!  I've little enough street cred as it is... 🤣

Posted

Bits for the Audi are still en-route, so a start has been made, on our driveway ornament  down-on-its-luck example of Mazda's flagship super saloon...

IMG_20250622_163426_674.jpg.ba5a8abf39130fae2cc8899a9a5c4dd3.jpg

Regular readers will remember it's back home for welding after an aborted attempt with a local professional.

Basically, wherever the plastic sill covers were clipped to the car, the metal mouse has had field day.  Add to that a bit of careless jacking in the past, and behold...!

IMG-20260913-WA0002.jpg.8fb1b74ddfbfcba92339d95d80f1f66f.jpg

The masking tape is just a guide for a first exploratory cut...

IMG-20260913-WA0001.jpg.854d43406c4e537575aeb6fc99a90857.jpg

IMG-20260913-WA0004.jpg.1a20404419f09808932bc062932d1ba0.jpg

You can make out the carpet lifted out the way a bit below, there is a bit of floorpan needing replaced there too.  Inner sill is good though, which is something...

IMG-20260913-WA0005.jpg.e3e2071078b6238dea159b133078530c.jpg

And post cutting out.  This is over half the sill cut away, the length of my previously cut repair pieces.  I'll do the rear section once this one is tacked in.  Always good to see the rusty mess away...

IMG-20260913-WA0006.jpg.7ba9e9c7a82b026b33cfc32bcb2a5d70.jpg

IMG-20260913-WA0007.jpg.6c4b81cd0d191d71aeab478f8c941db8.jpg

Bit of Fertan for luck...

IMG-20260913-WA0013.jpg.df68fc344ba25d56ecf3ad864d42f832.jpg

And a trial fit if the new steel...

IMG-20260913-WA0010.jpg.086820e35c5d58132971db4a557d8027.jpg

IMG-20260913-WA0009.jpg.d54b0f84a0e597ca415368232534796f.jpg

Lots of work ahead, but good to have started...  Plan is to tack 6mm bolts to the bottom of the new plate, which will pick up the holes in the bottom of the plastic sill cover... a penny washer and nut will then hold the plastic on, but allow easier removal for rust-proofing in future.

The other side is just as bad, and the rear wheel arches are needing attention too.  

I'm sure most would say it's past it (economically, it certainly isn't worth the bother I suppose), but there really doesn't seem to be many left now, and it runs and drives beautifully.

Once the Fertan's gone off, we'll get the weld-through primer on and start the weld-a-thon!

Cheers all.

 

 

 

IMG-20260913-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20260913-WA0008.jpg

Posted

Afternoon all, 

Sunny but windy here today, so no welding...  About to head out and commence pottering on other jobs, probably make a start on the big Audi's oil nrv's (which are now here).  Not looking forward to it that much, the risks of disturbing a working engine are high methinks!

Had a trip out to a local town yesterday, to a guy selling a very nice looking set of RX8 wheels...  Mine are pretty scruffy, and lose air after a couple of weeks if allowed to.

His place had a run-down vibe, but people could (and probably do!) say the same about mine, so I tend to with-hold judgement.

However, on knocking the door I was greeted by the sorriest-looking, skinniest guy I'd seen in a while... The sunken eyes and toothlessness all pointing at one thing.

The wheels looked lovely, and even had decent tyres on them, but on flipping them over, every spoke was cracked through.  I think the tyres were doing more than their fair share of structural support!  The man himself was not capable of acting surprised, and started bumping his gums (quite literally) about them actually being his brother's...

It's not unusual for RX8 wheels to be fitted to Bongos, and this is a pretty standard result.  He was adamant (for a time), that they were ok, and would have had no qualms about selling them.  I told him they were lethal and should be scrapped, and left.

Later last night, the ad was still up, unchanged... "Ready to fit, good tyres, NO OFFERS!".  I messaged him to re-iterate what I'd said in person, and the ad disappeared shortly after.

We're lucky here to not often be faced with drugs, and their effects.  However, I'm from pretty rough stock myself, and have brought up two boys, and so have had more than enough brushes with that 'culture'...

I hate to see the normalisation of it, the acceptance that there's nothing to be done, and the horrible slip in standards it brings for us all.  Yesterday was a small example of how innocent folk could get hurt despite having nothing to do with it... just a bit sickening.

 

Better get myself away back under a bonnet I suppose... country's going to the dogs etc, etc...

 

Posted

Well, minor progress on the big Audi, although I immediately gave up on the engine work due to the wind continuously trying to slam the bonnet shut!

I went aft, and am in the process of completing two repairs.  As I have mentioned, my boot handle was in a terrible state.  Removed, rubbed smooth and now coated with etch primer.

IMG_20260919_175141.jpg.d21889d32ad30f90b801e8214394745f.jpg

Reading up on aluminium body repairs, time seems to be a factor... the quicker the primer is applied, the less instant oxidisation occurs.  Anyway, I will smooth it off tomorrow and see if more primer or even filler is required for perfect smoothness.  It's a pain to get this part out, so I would rather it lasted a while!

Amazon supplied new numberplate lamps, which are an almost perfect fit in the recesses too!

I also noticed that the boot opening switch was stuck in 'open' (could have been for a while, I usually use the fob to pop it).  That's all cleaned out and un-stuck too now...

IMG_20260919_204038.jpg.d4b5b5d38395840fcf8645a9790c6f0c.jpg

All this is related to the handle corrosion allowing moisture in I think, the gasket was not a good seal on the rough surface.  Bit of a pain.

The second main repair is to my boot mounted brake light, its LED's are not always keen to light up without a calibrated tap...

I think I've identified the pair of wires (held in a tape/ribbon between two pcb's), and will attempt to sort tomorrow.

 

Before my aborted attempt to replace my RX8's wheels, I had been playing with colour options... Thoughts welcome, I'm aware the Gold is a bold choice, however, we're only here the once... and there's not many cars could carry it off!

7e2f315f-7039-4842-ae35-f9ec711cf543.png.829a033dc5a0028e7d32318aebb7718d.png

6f2f8799-d3f8-4e2e-ac18-b859dd59f8f2.png.b0bd415ee6692f7aed3d7d2d69833abd.png

Or black as is of course...

IMG-20260616-WA0011.jpg.fa913a80ad07e7ae63860edcdeebf256.jpg

 

Cheers all.

Posted

Mazda looks absolutely great for its age, the inner sills on my 75 were probably worse.

I'm excited about this one and am quite the fan of diminishing Eastern cars (Hyundai XG30 I'm looking at you!)

I was a collector for Welcome Finance in Inverness 20 odd years ago, mainly out east in IV30 and also up Dingwall way. Drink and drugs were absolutely prevalent and some cases were really sad. 

As you say Ronnie, just keep marching .

  • Like 1
Posted
27 minutes ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Well, minor progress on the big Audi, although I immediately gave up on the engine work due to the wind continuously trying to slam the bonnet shut!

I went aft, and am in the process of completing two repairs.  As I have mentioned, my boot handle was in a terrible state.  Removed, rubbed smooth and now coated with etch primer.

IMG_20260919_175141.jpg.d21889d32ad30f90b801e8214394745f.jpg

Reading up on aluminium body repairs, time seems to be a factor... the quicker the primer is applied, the less instant oxidisation occurs.  Anyway, I will smooth it off tomorrow and see if more primer or even filler is required for perfect smoothness.  It's a pain to get this part out, so I would rather it lasted a while!

Amazon supplied new numberplate lamps, which are an almost perfect fit in the recesses too!

I also noticed that the boot opening switch was stuck in 'open' (could have been for a while, I usually use the fob to pop it).  That's all cleaned out and un-stuck too now...

IMG_20260919_204038.jpg.d4b5b5d38395840fcf8645a9790c6f0c.jpg

All this is related to the handle corrosion allowing moisture in I think, the gasket was not a good seal on the rough surface.  Bit of a pain.

The second main repair is to my boot mounted brake light, its LED's are not always keen to light up without a calibrated tap...

I think I've identified the pair of wires (held in a tape/ribbon between two pcb's), and will attempt to sort tomorrow.

 

Before my aborted attempt to replace my RX8's wheels, I had been playing with colour options... Thoughts welcome, I'm aware the Gold is a bold choice, however, we're only here the once... and there's not many cars could carry it off!

7e2f315f-7039-4842-ae35-f9ec711cf543.png.829a033dc5a0028e7d32318aebb7718d.png

6f2f8799-d3f8-4e2e-ac18-b859dd59f8f2.png.b0bd415ee6692f7aed3d7d2d69833abd.png

Or black as is of course...

IMG-20260616-WA0011.jpg.fa913a80ad07e7ae63860edcdeebf256.jpg

 

Cheers all.

White? 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Mazda looks absolutely great for its age, the inner sills on my 75 were probably worse.

I'm excited about this one and am quite the fan of diminishing Eastern cars (Hyundai XG30 I'm looking at you!).

Cheers SP... Yes, it's done ok to still be existing at all I suppose!  It really is a lovely motor too.  Hope all's well with you.

5 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

White? 

Mmmm... now that is bold!

20458d3d-a09f-4592-b69d-fdff687c3aec.png.cb4fc908be899bee358fc2211882d188.png

Not sure my eldest would approve either, it's kind of his thing!

IMG-20250518-WA0006.jpg.0a9c44b628abe841f036c552576751ee.jpg

Posted

Ah yes I forgot about that. Looks good though. 
My r6 is metallic blue with orange wheels, now that is bold. 

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Well, minor progress on the big Audi, although I immediately gave up on the engine work due to the wind continuously trying to slam the bonnet shut!

I went aft, and am in the process of completing two repairs.  As I have mentioned, my boot handle was in a terrible state.  Removed, rubbed smooth and now coated with etch primer.

IMG_20260919_175141.jpg.d21889d32ad30f90b801e8214394745f.jpg

Reading up on aluminium body repairs, time seems to be a factor... the quicker the primer is applied, the less instant oxidisation occurs.  Anyway, I will smooth it off tomorrow and see if more primer or even filler is required for perfect smoothness.  It's a pain to get this part out, so I would rather it lasted a while!

Amazon supplied new numberplate lamps, which are an almost perfect fit in the recesses too!

I also noticed that the boot opening switch was stuck in 'open' (could have been for a while, I usually use the fob to pop it).  That's all cleaned out and un-stuck too now...

IMG_20260919_204038.jpg.d4b5b5d38395840fcf8645a9790c6f0c.jpg

All this is related to the handle corrosion allowing moisture in I think, the gasket was not a good seal on the rough surface.  Bit of a pain.

The second main repair is to my boot mounted brake light, its LED's are not always keen to light up without a calibrated tap...

I think I've identified the pair of wires (held in a tape/ribbon between two pcb's), and will attempt to sort tomorrow.

 

Before my aborted attempt to replace my RX8's wheels, I had been playing with colour options... Thoughts welcome, I'm aware the Gold is a bold choice, however, we're only here the once... and there's not many cars could carry it off!

7e2f315f-7039-4842-ae35-f9ec711cf543.png.829a033dc5a0028e7d32318aebb7718d.png

6f2f8799-d3f8-4e2e-ac18-b859dd59f8f2.png.b0bd415ee6692f7aed3d7d2d69833abd.png

Or black as is of course...

IMG-20260616-WA0011.jpg.fa913a80ad07e7ae63860edcdeebf256.jpg

 

Cheers all.

Gold or bronze for me  pal. I keep thinking about a set of flat faced 5 spokes for my ST150 as well. As its white i reckon thatd look good. Gold or bronze against blue would look better yet 

  • Agree 1
Posted

White is mega, but you will 100% get sick of them only looking good on the day when cleaned.

 

The dark colours work. Anthracite hides the brake dust well, id prob be tempted with bronze.

  • Agree 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...