Jump to content

The Current Driveway...


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello fellow 'shiters...

All my cars require work, and I have no room.

What better then to go and look at another one?!  I've arranged to do just that on Friday afternoon, this time it's a down-at-heel (but apparently undefeatable), and very lovely Mercedes Benz.

I know very little about such cars, I honestly don't think I've ever even been in one!  However, I first met this one in a local mechanic's yard a few months ago, and it very much appealed.  

It has been sat for a year (at its current location, who knows how long anywhere else!), the property of the daughter of an old guy that passed away.  She is unable to pay for the work it needs, and although pretty cut up about it, has apparently come to terms with letting it go.

It is fairly solid as I remember, I'll get pictures on Friday, it's a diesel version of one of these...

13-mercedes-benz-230-te-high-res.webp.96396e23d731829a953cecb4f37f3449.webp

6-mercedes-benz-230-te-high-res.webp.4d0d45b76e47fdce24f3dfa06796f6fa.webp

4-mercedes-benz-230-te-high-res.webp.78ed37f9a6f2267b589e5bbea3c8e02b.webp

Those pics are off Car and Classic, quite a handsome car when in nice nick aren't they?

The one I'm looking at has been sat under the trees for a good long time, and looks a long way from the above... It's that colour though.

It was pulled out the dubs today, and apparently started and ran well... A good sign!  My youngest is due to move out in a few weeks, and this will have to wait till then for the space...  I'm excited though, and know there's a few fans on here, not least The Viking... I'll be leaning on your diesel Benz knowledge I think!

Cheers all, will update when I see the old girl 👍.

Posted

Lovely cars those W123 wagons, I've had one on the "want" list for years.

They do rot like crazy though!

Posted
35 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Lovely cars those W123 wagons, I've had one on the "want" list for years.

They do rot like crazy though!

Oh good! 🤣🤣🤣  The floorpan is apparently like new under the carpets, front wings had suffered as I recall though.

It's not like it's really hard to put decent welds down, outside, in winter, in deepest Speyside is it?!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted

As you like the P4 I think you'll appreciate a lot of the same qualities in older Mercs (high quality materials, well designed and built), well sprung seats and a solid, safe drive but not especially dynamic.

As per P4s though, they can hide neglect well. Any electrical issues will almost certainly be the terrible continental fuses and the estates have self levelling rear suspension which probably merits a close inspection.

Looking forward to the story, photos and updates!

  • Like 1
Posted

I’m looking forward to this. I’m not familiar with these newer models, but I’ve always wanted one.

And regarding rust, I wonder if they have a reputation for rusting simply because they are so long lived? 

Mine are on, and I'm not exaggerating driver's floor number 3 by the look of things. Yes, they rust, but the average car was likely scrapped long before it reached the point of needing a second floor replacement.

  • Like 4
Posted

Well well,

The vehicle has been thoroughly* checked over, it's faults catalogued and carefully* weighed up... and a decision on its future made.

Next up in my emporium of faded automotive jewels then, is this grand old fraulien...

IMG_20260925_161835.jpg.b868a00912c080727ce781c9451b636e.jpg

A 1985 2.4 Diesel example.  She runs, idles even(!), although is currently not very driveable due to the clutch being welded to the flywheel.

IMG_20260925_161817.jpg.2442cc1f723cbcf51861072a62755caf.jpg

The front wing bottoms have left the building, and behind them isn't looking too clever either...  Sills seem solid from there back though, and as promised the floorpan looks bootiful.  Inner wings and strut tops ok, and I was quite pleased with the rear arches.

More concerning is the rust patches on the upper surfaces (under rear side windows, wee bits on the roof etc.), but I'm growing in confidence these days, and will get them sorted once she's whole again where it matters.

Interior seemed to be all there, just not all in the right place!

IMG_20260925_161858.jpg.754d02e7df989c2f9cab046de09a4f1c.jpg

Might be a slow burner this one, I'm very keen to get the P4 painted first, and there's always wee jobs on the rest.

However,the Mercedes is lovely, and was destined for the scrapyard otherwise.  A few weeks of frantic reorganising here at Trabi Towers will see a space made for her, and I'll of course document her arrival then.

 

Cheers all.

Posted

In the worst case scenario, it’s worth something in parts, the engine is actually hard to find now as I know as I have looked around for one as an upgrade for my Fintail but not found any.

But hopefully it will get back on the road, and with your welding skills, I think there's a good chance it will.

Posted
58 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

In the worst case scenario, it’s worth something in parts, the engine is actually hard to find now as I know as I have looked around for one as an upgrade for my Fintail but not found any.

But hopefully it will get back on the road, and with your welding skills, I think there's a good chance it will.

Thanks DV, I'll give it my best shot!  My first three-pointed-star (which is missing of course!).

 

  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Well well,

The vehicle has been thoroughly* checked over, it's faults catalogued and carefully* weighed up... and a decision on its future made.

Next up in my emporium of faded automotive jewels then, is this grand old fraulien...

IMG_20260925_161835.jpg.b868a00912c080727ce781c9451b636e.jpg

A 1985 2.4 Diesel example.  She runs, idles even(!), although is currently not very driveable due to the clutch being welded to the flywheel.

IMG_20260925_161817.jpg.2442cc1f723cbcf51861072a62755caf.jpg

The front wing bottoms have left the building, and behind them isn't looking too clever either...  Sills seem solid from there back though, and as promised the floorpan looks bootiful.  Inner wings and strut tops ok, and I was quite pleased with the rear arches.

More concerning is the rust patches on the upper surfaces (under rear side windows, wee bits on the roof etc.), but I'm growing in confidence these days, and will get them sorted once she's whole again where it matters.

Interior seemed to be all there, just not all in the right place!

IMG_20260925_161858.jpg.754d02e7df989c2f9cab046de09a4f1c.jpg

Might be a slow burner this one, I'm very keen to get the P4 painted first, and there's always wee jobs on the rest.

However,the Mercedes is lovely, and was destined for the scrapyard otherwise.  A few weeks of frantic reorganising here at Trabi Towers will see a space made for her, and I'll of course document her arrival then.

 

Cheers all.

Ah real do. Glad youve gone with it. You dont much like sitting down doing nothing anyway 😁

Class cars these, looking forward to seeing it brought back from the dead.

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Thanks DV, I'll give it my best shot!  My first three-pointed-star (which is missing of course!).

 

The stars are incredibly cheap surprisingly, and worth every penny in the driving experience!

Posted
11 minutes ago, Surface Rust said:

The stars are incredibly cheap surprisingly, and worth every penny in the driving experience!

The daughter of the original owner has kept it as a keyring/memento apparently, which is understandable.  

But yeah, it'll be a good day fitting a replacement as a finishing touch!

  • Like 1
Posted

Following with interest, pretty much my only Mercedes choice and in Red too.  Love any Red Estate for some strange reason. 

  • Like 1
Posted

That's us back from a collection mission of sorts, I have mucho Rover P4 goodness after a very enjoyable trip south to the wilds of Forfar...

IMG_20260926_153111.jpg.273fe68e9c88c6c788375583686be7e5.jpg

Tucked away in there are two pairs of front wings, and some of the odds and sods genuine car guys seem to keep labelled in tubs for the next fella!

One pair (in the red oxide), are basically as perfect as you're ever going to get at this point in time,  and even the poorer set is eleventy-million percent better than what's on just now...  One very happy Ronnie here!

Seller was an absolute gent, with a great old country workshop.  The drive down through the Cairngorms and back across the Cabrach was just jaw-droppingly beautiful too, we purposely avoided the main roads.

So far then, my planned garage clear out has been very successful... four more wings and a Mercedes added!

Have a good weekend all.

Posted

Mrs got a great double spot on the way home too...!

IMG-20260926-WA0006.jpg.9b82f071ff958c4a66649e17df62fa35.jpg

Posted
39 minutes ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

That's us back from a collection mission of sorts, I have mucho Rover P4 goodness after a very enjoyable trip south to the wilds of Forfar...

IMG_20260926_153111.jpg.273fe68e9c88c6c788375583686be7e5.jpg

 

Y are you taking us away tho?

Sounds like a right result!

  • Haha 1
Posted

Now unloaded for inspection...

IMG_20260926_182914.jpg.66cb8bbfbfff2e2d7a7000f6be91217e.jpg

IMG_20260926_182859.jpg.bcdfbe40841a7f09c9ed259f23d9e126.jpg

IMG_20260926_182930.jpg.cbd8c18fa2da058a73edd90193d1008f.jpg

IMG_20260926_1828472.jpg.d77526d4a405e7d2396739f9779fa673.jpg

Can't quite believe my luck here... the indicator and sidelight mounts are so good on both sets, I was worried about being able to recreate them in my original ones, which are very corroded.

The grey/black set have been chopped about around the bumper mounts a wee bit, and they don't have any drillings for the chrome strip I notice.  This could mean they're off a smaller engined model I think?

Anyway, it means I can practice my coach enamel painting skills on these before attacking the rest of the body too.

Task list now then is this...

.  Finish welding the Xedos, which blocks the garage as it sits.

.  Drag out the blue Trabi, it has a reserved spot down the side of the garage, where it can be prepped for sale as a one-year-off tax and MOT exempt project.

.  Prep garage and get the Rover ensconced, warm and dry, for its over-winter paint job.

.  Recover new Mercedes project to the property, clean and store in the Rover's newly-vacated (although sadly outdoor) slot.

 

You've got to have a plan.

Posted

Morning all,

Zero progress on above plan thus far, but we'll see how the weekend goes.

Went over to see my lovely old Mercedes yesterday though (my eldest wanted a look), and picked up the V5.

The car has had a private plate on all its' days, which the seller wanted to keep.  The DVLA has given it's original number back, and I think it's pretty cool!

Screenshot_20261002-2159592.jpg.bcac94a40572f3ee2ce1bf6280f8d547.jpg

Never had six digits before, Bonzo the Benz!  Also got a bit more of the story on this two-owner from new car (seller is the daughter of the original owner).  Apparently the guy put the car in a lock-up in 1991, when it was only six years old?!  I forgot to check the mileage when I was there, but I'm assuming it's not that much.

My pal (who was initially given the task of fixing it up, following the initial owner's passing) says it started and ran first time upon dragging it out, and he drove it onto the trailer.  This was eighteen months ago... costs to do up proved too much for the daughter, and since then it has been sat in his yard, under trees which have fairly covered the poor car in dead leaves.

Everything seems to be there minus X3 hupcaps and the three-pointed gunsight, and the car looks a bit sad but dead straight.  The doors open and shut like a bank vault, really nicely built thing, I'm starting to believe the W123 hype!

Very excited to get her home and cleaned up, I know what a difference even that can make.  An initial peek on Autodoc proved fruitful, pads and discs all round, plus all three filters came in at £114, using the cheaper stuff admittedly...  Still, there was a good choice available for this 41 year old motor, so they must still be commonly used.

I'll price up tyres, but maybe leave buying  them till the spring, she's more than likely got another winter to wait before hitting the road again.

 

Posted

Well, some jobs completed on the big Audi, just in time for another epic voyage south tomorrow...

The boot handle has been off for a rub down and repaint, as the aluminium was bubbling quite badly and letting the side down.

IMG_20260919_175141.jpg.990ca618af3ed58b9dabbcef66c7907b.jpg

Rubbed down, filled and rubbed down again, it got a coat of etch primer followed by some galvy zinc.  Another light rub down before the top coat which I left alone for a couple of days to make sure it would be hardened off for refitting all the bits and bobs.

I tidied up and lubed the boot handle innards, which now feels so much nicer to use, and fitted my new Amazon universal number plate lights.

All back on the car, the colour match isn't too bad, there's a bit more green in it than the original (which goes quite purply in strong light).  However, it's ok and a lot better just for being smooth.  

IMG_20261005_135230.jpg.aef76387add00a8393897a2363573207.jpg

I cleaned and lubed the boot hinges too, it's actually popping up a bit easier too.  A wash and polish, fluid check, and she'll be packed shortly for a 500-mile jaunt to Buckinghamshire tomorrow.  

I've still got the oil check valves under the intake plenum to do, and also the front brakes need a clean up and new pads for smoothness... time as always, is against me though.

  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...