Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

I keep thinking about saying it but never do as it's tempting fate 😅

How is the forum doing for everyone at the moment? Any noticeable slow periods recently?

For me I've not really noticed anything untowards. I probably should turn on performance logging so I can look back to see if it has and if there are any patterns.

Definitely that discover content (like live unread content feed) hammers the server hard. I've disabled it for guests but left it on for everyone else. Ideally I'd disable it entirely but I know people use it. 

12 minutes ago, SiC said:

How is the forum doing for everyone at the moment? Any noticeable slow periods recently?

For me I've not really noticed anything untowards. I probably should turn on performance logging so I can look back to see if it has and if there are any patterns.

Definitely that discover content (like live unread content feed) hammers the server hard. I've disabled it for guests but left it on for everyone else. Ideally I'd disable it entirely but I know people use it. 

Bit laggy at times, but generally ok

13 minutes ago, SiC said:

seems to be ticking along fairly well #massivelytemptingfate

BTW as an aside to that given the recent tweaks and server upgrades do we need the "you cant use search for 2 seconds" thing still or is the particular thing that necessitates that still an issue? 

27 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

BTW as an aside to that given the recent tweaks and server upgrades do we need the "you cant use search for 2 seconds" thing still or is the particular thing that necessitates that still an issue? 

Logged in users can make a new search every 5 seconds. I guess the question is what use case would you need for it to be less than that?

16 minutes ago, SiC said:

Logged in users can make a new search every 5 seconds. I guess the question is what use case would you need for it to be less than that?

it completely breaks my flow when I am doing some hardcore Invacar research, LOL or when I am just general trying to find something on the forum especially if its something specific and I need to try a few search terms to fish out what im looking for, also when you go back and forth pages of a search result or tweak an option it treats it as a new query and cock-blocks you LOL if your sifting through search results see something but by the time you have noticed it you have clicked on next page, so you quickly click back and it smacks you with a "wait 2 seconds" it can be quite annoying

(also that end rather amusingly the search function cant seem to differentiate between Invacar and Invacare even when I do it in brackets to try and force an exact match search)

35 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

(also that end rather amusingly the search function cant seem to differentiate between Invacar and Invacare even when I do it in brackets to try and force an exact match search)

Neither can 98% of us.

Perhaps I need to increase the time between searches to 15+ seconds and reduce the load on the server further 🤣

• Haha 3

I need to apply a forum software update. First one in about 6 months - much longer than the monthly they were releasing last year (maybe as their focus is on v5). It was released over 2 weeks ago now but I've been holding off until I've got things a bit more happy again. Right now we seem pretty solid (touches all the wood), so I want to schedule in an update.

Question is when...

Shouldn't take too long - probably 15 mins but hopefully 30 mins max. Would there be much objection to doing it tonight at say 9:45pm-ish? Short notice I know, but rather just get it done and dusted while I have a bit of time in front of the computer.