Most obscure car you’ve owned?

Peter C

Jeeze you lot have owned some quality shite.

When i was a lot younger i thought i bought different as when my mate bought XR3i's and RS turbos i bought a Nissan bluebird ZX turbo.

Or my first car on the road legally a 82 Toyota Camry. A little different for a 17/18 year old.My mates were getting metros and fiestas.

But you lot,some i ain't ever heard of.

2x Suzuki SC100's, a Dodge Challenger, FSO1300, Kia Pride, Lancia Dedra 1.6, '89 Trabant 2 stroke, 17 Fiat X1/9's , '84Pontiac Fiero, Vw Santana GX5, Delta 1300, Chevrolet Caprice, Alfa 146 boxer, Alfa 145 Cloverleaf, Volvo 265 GLE,2x Lancia Y10, Proton 1.5 Aeroback, Uno 45 ES, VW Jetta GLi,  need to find the old photo albums..

I had a Mark 1 Jetta GLi - Christ that was quick and had a boot so large a family of four could have used it as a holiday home.

• Like 2

Let's do a little list...

I've already mentioned the Buick.  FSO includes both 125p estate, and Polonez.  Tacuma.  Three Suzukis if you include the current Motability car; never a big seller in the UK.  Plymouth Gran Fury and Belvedere; Chrysler leBaron convertible.  Oldsmobile Delmont 88.  There's been a lot of mainstream shite too, but these are the more obscure things that spring to mind.

Some interesting cars there. I had a few more oddballs.

Dutton Pheaton

post-4019-0-94111400-1551006094_thumb.jpeg

FSO 1500

post-4019-0-50726900-1551006134_thumb.jpeg

A pair of Alfa Romeo Sprints, the black one wasn’t a runner

post-4019-0-80222900-1551006193_thumb.jpeg

post-4019-0-58562500-1551006230_thumb.jpeg

And a Russett Brown Allegro 1300

post-4019-0-52718700-1551006280_thumb.jpeg

Most obscure for me was a fairly modern Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type S about the years ago.

2.5 twin turbo and 280ish boho but nobody had really heard a of a Galant let alone a mouthful like that.

Bloody good fun though, don’t have a phot to hand sadly.

I had one of those, well, mine was a facelift Legnum VR-4 Type S UK in Mauve.

I can't do much for these as anything I've had that's 'obscure' there are multiple of in the AS repertoire.

Probably the 740 GLE I used to have, for it's amazing condition and a colour I've never seen again.

Oh yeah, 1987 saw me have a BRG 1972 Saab 99 with chrome bumpers. Only ever seen another chrome bumpered one since. Predictablt died after I sold it - HGF!

• Like 2

In the mid to late 80's I had a metallic blue Daihatsu Applause which was a weird luxury spec, chopped that in 6 months later to the same garage for a Mini Clubman 1275GT which had the Denovo run flat tyres. Predictably, on the day I was to pick it up, all four tyres were indeed flat, much to the salesman's embarrassment.

In the mid to late 80's I had a metallic blue Daihatsu Applause which was a weird luxury spec, chopped that in 6 months later to the same garage for a Mini Clubman 1275GT which had the Denovo run flat tyres. Predictably, on the day I was to pick it up, all four tyres were indeed flat, much to the salesman's embarrassment.

Charmant rather than Applause or do you have your time period wrong?

Here's a few more less common ones I've had.

Nissan Laurel and Datsun Stanza

16722648407_f32d429a7b_c.jpgDSC_7357 by srblythe, on Flickr

Alfa Sprint and Tata Loadbeta

16750014768_a8af8d007c_c.jpgDSC_7423 by srblythe, on Flickr

Lada Samara and Renault 18 GTD

28717378296_6ff1f2a6e6_c.jpgDSC_0610 by srblythe, on Flickr

Suzuki Alto FX

29094594354_c005a221c3_c.jpgDSC_0779 by srblythe, on Flickr

Mitsubishi Sigma

30962314174_94e3d8bd93_c.jpgDSC_0579 by srblythe, on Flickr

Volvo v70 XC AWD

32613385092_5afc2dc034_c.jpgDSC_0340 by srblythe, on Flickr

Mk1 BX

32233891710_c20a2b6140_c.jpgDSC_0266 by srblythe, on Flickr

One of these (but rhd) was my first drive

post-17481-0-64340300-1551030900_thumb.jpeg

and this is today's dailypost-17481-0-55910200-1551030937_thumb.jpeg

In between the two there has been plenty more obscure shite.

I'm not trying to choose obscure for the sake of it, it's just that most people are put off the sort of cars that I like. I don't get why people like cars like (insert name of any model that sells by the million).

I've stiil got this thing,had it 11 years now,but it's off the road needing an engine rebuild or a replacement.I actually had a local mechanic pull up tonight as we were going out.He wanted to buy it,but turns out he may have a spare 160 engine so might get it sorted fairly soon  :-)

6sHX1CR.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure if obscure, but rare in that they didn't make many and few survive, 1959 Series 1 Lotus 7. I doubt that many other people were using one as their daily transport in 1984.

Obscure over here, an Australian market 1949 Austin A40 Dorset Tourer, very few imported, always got asked if I had cut the roof off myself.

Woodhall Nicholson Landcrab 2200 hearse

Austin Gypsy Long Wheelbase

Lancia Gamma Berlina

Arkley (rebodied MG Midget)

Never been brave enough to take on anything really obscure so in the past chickened out on things like an Alfa 6 and Matra M530 even though they were cheap

• Like 4

I'm not surprised. I had a boggo 165bhp Turbo and that bloody flew - relatively light weight and plenty of torque I suppose.

Yeah, the standard one was sufficiently fast, I made Penzance to Boroughbridge in a S1Ph1 once in decent time, dpt 16.15 arr. 20.20 (just one fuel stop on the M42) but as usual with ancient Cits it was fast enough on long French roads but in England felt a bit restricted - the Maikonics were the closest thing to a Tardis.

I've yet to drive anything so fast p2p, prob never will - times have changed. Thing was, my vmax on that record trip (in a standard car) really wasn't that high, an M5 which played on the A30 shot (well, slid by) past on the straights but was passed on most corners.

The most obscure car I've owned was a 1972 Fiat 124 coupe, then again I've not been a chod botherer for long, I like to think I make some vague attempt at having a life outside of fiddling with cars and working like a 19th century labourer.

I also once owned both an Ami 8 berline and break, both at the same time. They're not such obscure cars unless you're a little Englander, but two at once was observed by many to be a sign of both automotive and social weirdness. And unlike those re-instigated 'invalid cars', they weren't toys to amuse the contemporary young reader but ways of carrying Rover V8s from Cornwall to Cumbria.

When I was young & foolish, and still living at home with my folks I bought a gold Vauxhall Royale.
It seemed like a good idea at the time, Dad was paying the insurance and the financial implications of running a car that did 16mpg weren't fully understood till it was too late. I absolutely loved it though,  and when one came up for sale a few years ago on Ebay I chucked in a cheeky bid after a few beers and to my horror* the next day discovered I'd bought another.

Never a common car even when they were new, by the time I owned this one there were about 10 saloons left on the road. They also have the finest velour seating I've ever experienced.

ezb1UDJ.jpg