eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

49 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I understood there was an issue with a change of regs recently where a NOVA or similar paperwork can only be carried out by the importer of the vehicle, and there are a list of approved importers.  Anyone other than that (EG a private individual) is no longer able to do the paperwork themselves.

There's apparently already a "tame" importer who will do the paperwork for a £95 fee, but it's still yet another bloody hoop.

I'd quite like it tho...

I saw that doing the rounds on the Book of Farce etc, 

https://www.facebook.com/DAVO.bookface/posts/pfbid0qQMJi9Z6bt83gq2R2pQMHU6EVme8XHzgvMVjLLj45RmqZadqPqahmSijp68dPUNQl

but reading it, to me it just comes across like just a bunch of FUD to me, no links to anything or the such like, a load of hand waving panic, without actually understanding the system to hand

looking at it myself, looks like its still entirely possible to do it all yourself

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/telling-hmrc

image.thumb.png.13c2fc4266934664e0ce8d618f2d5025.png

and heres a link to a NOVA1 form so you can roughly see what your up against https://bfgnet.de/files/282/VAT-NOVA1-v03-feb-20.pdf

(I would see if you can request one from HMRC or whoever to get the latest version)

ill also tag @Dave_Q @Dick Longbridge because I know they have recent experience importing vehicles to the UK :) 

Mine was post Brexit but I claimed on the nova form it had been in the UK since before 2020 (almost certainly had but can't prove it)

I have also seen some stories doing the rounds about private importers not being able to do a NOVA which seems to directly contradict the gov.uk guidance LBF posted which says you can email them to sort it and gives an address.

£95 to fill in some customs form seems a bit much TBH, a suspicious person would think that this is some wheeze by the "tame importer" and the car club to make a few quid.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I saw that doing the rounds on the Book of Farce etc, 

https://www.facebook.com/DAVO.bookface/posts/pfbid0qQMJi9Z6bt83gq2R2pQMHU6EVme8XHzgvMVjLLj45RmqZadqPqahmSijp68dPUNQl

but reading it, to me it just comes across like just a bunch of FUD to me, no links to anything or the such like, a load of hand waving panic, without actually understanding the system to hand

looking at it myself, looks like its still entirely possible to do it all yourself

Yeah I saw that and came to the same conclusion. Lots of stuff which is demonstrably false in that post (you can't get a replacement V5 anymore? If you try and register a car you'll end up with a Q-plate??) that I'd guess the rest of it is nonsense, too. Judging by the level of literacy involved I can only imagine the state of the V55 the author would send off so not really a surprise if it's come back as a 'no'.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

something something @LightBulbFunsomething something resgistering it in the UK something something Jersey registration something something err... how TF do you do that?

Edit.  Also, is there a ferry from Jersey direct to UK, or will that need driving thru france?

There is from Jersey to Poole or Portsmouth. VAT on that purchase price is hardly a king’s ransom . The chances of getting stopped at Poole/Portsmouth customs are negligible 

3 hours ago, Talbot said:

something something @LightBulbFunsomething something resgistering it in the UK something something Jersey registration something something err... how TF do you do that?

Edit.  Also, is there a ferry from Jersey direct to UK, or will that need driving thru france?

Taking it on a ferry to France and then via Pug HQ and onto another ferry to Dover would be much better

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

bASe spec Saab 9000.  Don't think I've ever seen one with keep fit windows in the front before.

s-l1600.jpg

The brown forum bike one I had briefly was pretty bASe, but it had leccy windaes. I can't remember what year it was though, 88 maybe?

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Being even sadder, I have it on a spreadsheet going back to  2003/4. In Jan 2008 I was paying £1.04/l, in June £1.12 and in December only 85p/l

Who was it @DodgeRover Who was taking the piss put of spreadsheets. 

I don't think I'm the worst offender. 

38 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

If you want a quick sale and it's cheap...

*joking

It’s goes forever in a circle in my head

1) I hardly drive it

2) Think about selling

3) but it’s so good to drive and listen to so I can’t sell it

4) life happens and return to number 1

I’ve had it six years. Chances are 1-4 will be going round my head well into my dotage (if my legs still work)

4 minutes ago, Cluffy said:

It’s goes forever in a circle in my head

1) I hardly drive it

2) Think about selling

3) but it’s so good to drive and listen to so I can’t sell it

4) life happens and return to number 1

I’ve had it six years. Chances are 1-4 will be going round my head well into my dotage (if my legs still work)

The sound of a VR certainly is addictive. I don't blame you!

1 hour ago, D.E said:

£1200, a mistake or a bargain?

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1552941

pilot.jpg.615f7b0d6aaac93e9f2ed04040ec09de.jpg

This car isn't or wasn't in Burton on Trent, it's in the car park behind the Old Crown in Cavendish Bridge / Shardlow.

20221217_130925.thumb.jpg.18006f5960688417f54130a74b449cfd.jpg

It goes to the CoOp in Donington regularly. The owner, whose name escapes me, has lunch in the Crown most days and is also selling his Oldsmobile Toranado. A two tone monster that's also been on these pages, ostensibly being sold by some classic car mob in Leicester. That'll just leave him pottering about in his scruffy K reg Olds 98. Any idea how much I should offer him?

And I know fuck all about the big green Merc.