eBay tat volume 3.

Ross_K

This...... 

"

If a car is sold by a trader to a member of the public as a restoration for spares/repairs and it is transported away, there are indeed no comebacks accepted, because the car's "satisfactory quality" is a restoration project (beit a full on weldathon or a simple non runner)

If the trader allows the buyer to test drive it on public road and/or drive it away, it is assumed that the car is being sold as fit for purpose (to drive on a public road and meet the appropriate laws for doing so) and as such can't be considered faulty/spares+repairs. "

....... seems bang onto me in my experience. 

I used to do a lot of collection /delivery and every garage I collected a car from gave me a sheet to fill in worded thus and wouldn't let the car leave unless on a trailer. 

I seem to think salvage is a similar situation? 

27 minutes ago, vaughant said:

I used to do a lot of collection /delivery and every garage I collected a car from gave me a sheet to fill in worded thus and wouldn't let the car leave unless on a trailer. 

I seem to think salvage is a similar situation? 

Yeah that's it. If it's not fit or purpose and sold as spares/repairs then it shouldn't be driven away. If it gets driven away then it must be fit for purpose and falls under the CRA protection. 

Salvage is a bit scary because there nothing stopping a member of the public buying a Cat S car from Copart and "repairing" it to their own standard. 

Whilst discouraged, I don't think Copart actually stop people driving their cars away. Obviously a lot of the time it doesn't work as the car is bent, not holding coolant etc but people still try! 

Here we come

walking down the street

get the funniest looks from

everyone we meet

1966-pontiac-gto-monkeemobile.jpg?mode=p

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2022-05-21/cars/ref-105-1966-pontiac-gto-monkee-mobile-mp/

certainly not tat money  but I'm sure some of you, like me, had a Corgi version as a child.

45 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Well I've put a watch on it. Let's see what happens after that 130 went for £5k. These normally go for considerably more than the saloons but this needs a lot of work. 

Yupp...... Water is a 'leakker' (on Koop rear window seals...) and bye-bye arch/sill end 😱

11 hours ago, sierraman said:

What guarantee would you expect on a £750 car? It’s offered at a few hundred above it’s scrap value. They’ve put that to avoid any doubt with the likely buyer who has £750 to spend on a car.

Doesnt matter if your a dealer... you could sell it for £1 'Sold as Seen' 'Spares or repairs'. If anything arises within 6 months thats outside of fair wear and tear... then as the dealer, youre on the hook,

As per the Consumer Rights Act.

The rules for used cars are exactly the same as if you are going to buy one brand new.

11 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I wonder when traders will realize they can write whatever cack they want about "sold as seen" but it doesn't remove the buyer's 6 month consumer rights act protection

11 hours ago, sierraman said:

What guarantee would you expect on a £750 car? It’s offered at a few hundred above it’s scrap value. They’ve put that to avoid any doubt with the likely buyer who has £750 to spend on a car.

9 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

None whatsoever personally, but consumer rights gives the same protection on a car whether it was £50k or £750. 

Someone went to Judge Rinder over a £400 Skoda that broke down. He cited consumer law etc and that it had to be fit for purpose (! - £400) and the trader was the crook 🤷‍♂️

Ask @dollywobbler about his experiences on this subject.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Ask @dollywobbler about his experiences on this subject.

That was his choice not to pursue it. He would have been well within his right to do so and didn't need to worry about how much of a twat the dealer was/had the potential to be as it's all ultimately mediated by the courts if it gets that far. 

Unless they terminate the LTD company, wouldn't be so easy then

1 hour ago, cpjitservices said:

Doesnt matter if your a dealer... you could sell it for £1 'Sold as Seen' 'Spares or repairs'. If anything arises within 6 months thats outside of fair wear and tear... then as the dealer, youre on the hook,

As per the Consumer Rights Act.

The rules for used cars are exactly the same as if you are going to buy one brand new.

‘Fair wear and tear’ on a 18 year old Renault...

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Whilst discouraged, I don't think Copart actually stop people driving their cars away. Obviously a lot of the time it doesn't work as the car is bent, not holding coolant etc but people still try! 

I bought my current Focus from a garage only a stone's throw away from our local Copart. They constantly have people coming in saying they've just bought a car from Copart but it won't start/there's a wheel missing/there are no keys etc and can they fix it while they wait! Most arrive by train expecting to drive home in their gleaming and flawless new car.

49 minutes ago, nivek said:

I bought my current Focus from a garage only a stone's throw away from our local Copart. They constantly have people coming in saying they've just bought a car from Copart but it won't start/there's a wheel missing/there are no keys etc and can they fix it while they wait! Most arrive by train expecting to drive home in their gleaming and flawless new car.

Doesn't surprise me sadly!

4 hours ago, meggersdog said:

Local garage had two of these in the late 80's when I was 17/18 and skint, £4k if memory serves me right, one was red other was black. I acted like a potential buyer to nap a blast in one and they rightly told me to piss off. Always had a massive hankering for one ever since but never got round to it and prices/availability are daft/scarce these days. I better start ploughing available funds into lottery tickets to see what I can conjure up before auction time.